• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cavendish, Kittel, Gaviria, Viviani, Bennett have all taken victories in their first race for Quickstep right?

You know what, I just check it myself...
  • Cavendish won his very first raceday in Argentina in 2013
  • Gaviria won a stage at the Tour of Britain as a stagiaire '15 and then in 2016 won his first 2 days with a QS pro contract
  • Kittel won his very first day in a QS jersey in Dubai in 2016
  • Viviani won a stage in Australia just like Bennett, although it was "only" the third one and not the opening day. Still first race...

They really know how to get their sprinters off to a good start. Building confidence and from there it often just steamrolls through the season.

Alaphilippe is apparently not defending his MSR title.

Could that mean a fully committed QS train behind Bennett in Sanremo? It's gonna be tough to catch the Van Der Poel but I do think Bennett has a great chance if it comes down to a reduced sprit.

Tbh I think not riding MSR is a choice of Alaphilippe himself. He chose another scedule this year, that includes Flanders and hence has to cut out other races. Having won MSR last year, it seems the easy choice.

This being said, they have other riders to follow attacks on the Poggio like Stybar and I personally expect big things from Ballerini this year.

Any word on Sam's injury? Looked in a lot of pain holding his wrist afterwards.

One of the main favourites on what was going to be the first bunch sprint of this year’s Paris-Nice, Bennett was up there in the tense and aggressive finale, but that incident stopped him from fighting for the win. After the stage, Sam was examined by the Deceuninck – Quick-Step medical staff, and fortunately, it was soon revealed that he hadn’t sustained any fractures, just a gash in one of his right hand fingers, which required four stitches.

“I lost some skin and needed those stitches, because when I went into the barrier, I hit the metal part, but luckily, everything else seems pretty ok. In the beginning, as I was lying on the road, there was a bit of shock, as I had no idea how serious it was, but it’s a good thing nothing is broken. I will continue the race and start Wednesday’s individual time trial. I’m quite happy it will be a short stage tomorrow and I hope things will turn around for me at some point”, a confident Bennett said at the team hotel.

I think Bennett puts himself under pressure. He was also arguing with a sunweb guy with around 30k from the finish at the front of the peleton, because he probably thought he was riding in his line. Bennett also doesn't really seem better the Jakobsen at the moment so I think he is afraid that he loses his prime position at quick-step.
I think he isn't the best guy fot a leadout train. Jakobsen is better there. Bennett won most of the time on his own with a short late sprint at Bora, coming from the back.

Reactions: BlueRoads
I think Bennett puts himself under pressure. He was also arguing with a sunweb guy with around 30k from the finish at the front of the peleton, because he probably thought he was riding in his line. Bennett also doesn't really seem better the Jakobsen at the moment so I think he is afraid that he loses his prime position at quick-step.
I think he isn't the best guy fot a leadout train. Jakobsen is better there. Bennett won most of the time on his own with a short late sprint at Bora, coming from the back.
True. Bennett really only needs Archbold, and someone to get them to the last km. Then Archbold just muscles Bennett onto the back of the best positioned train and lets Bennett hijack them. Unorthodox, but effective for them.

Reactions: BlueRoads

Yes, I think so. Before the stage yesterday he did not appear very relaxed.

Yes, I think so. Before the stage yesterday he did not appear very relaxed.

I'm a big Bennett fan, so I will cut him some slack. I think everyone wants a result at P-N because it could be the last major race for a long time.

I watched the crash clip a few times and couldn't really tell what happened, though assume by fine it was his fault and that he wasn't reacting to an earlier shove.