• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bennett could be looking at winning every sprint he contests and potentially points. Especially if Merlier withdraws like previously.

I would be a surprise to me if he gets the better of Merlier in every sprint the two contest. And if I recall correctly, it's very tough for a bunch sprinter to win the points jersey at the Vuelta?

Good to see him winning again and in a GT too. Hopefully the start of a return to top form. It was getting to the point where you had to start to wonder if he was just never going to get his top speed back.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I would be a surprise to me if he gets the better of Merlier in every sprint the two contest. And if I recall correctly, it's very tough for a bunch sprinter to win the points jersey at the Vuelta?

Good to see him winning again and in a GT too. Hopefully the start of a return to top form. It was getting to the point where you had to start to wonder if he was just never going to get his top speed back.
Yeah the point system got changed so it will be easier as long as the flat stages end in sprints. Jakobsen won last year only winning 3 stages and 2nd in the other two. Versus Degenkolb winning 5 stages in 2012 and only finishing fourth. Bennett to win has to win 3/4 of the next 6 and finish well. Merlier will most likely win stages but who knows if he will actually stay for the whole GT.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Another DNF today. is he sick or something? But in general his career seems tobe done. Probably Bora will do a few leadout impressions for him to keep it up a bit, but the Tour de France is out of question for him. No sprint, no ability to contest on a bit harder terrain then totally flat or in semi-classics.

At this point van Poppel has a better chance of winning a Tour stage or they plug Meuus behind him. For Sam it will be Israel or Tudor (a team like that) next year or he stops racing completely.