• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Schleck Bros

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 7, 2010
improvecycling.com
karlboss said:
Frank will never do anything in a GT? this year, skipping the TTT he would have been 3rd, a guy that strong has the ability to take the Giro or Vuelta. All courses are for climbers this year, so I'd love to see him try. I think the family goal is the tour, and the schleck's won't do anything to risk it, like pushing for the overall at the giro. If they did, I'd see it as acknowledgement that Andy doesn't have the confidence to take on contador at the tour.

I must Agree with karlboss here. Frank will never win a GT not even the Giro. His TT is very poor and his ego is way to big to have a realistic change of winning. The overall goal is The Tour for the two brothers and I think Frank is aiming for Liege and Andy for Amstel this year. The two brothers will work together in the Tour as their big goal for the year aiming to win the Tour you can be sure of that!

I know for sure the danish Chris Anker Sorensen is going to be the captain in Giro 2010! So say the man himself. Chris is a big talent and to give him something to stribe for the Giro is good for him, even though I only see him in top 5 maybe less because of his TT.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
I also suspect that Riis is worried about Liquigas - or more specifically Nibali. Nibali is younger than Andy S and if Nibali improves a similar amount to what he did last year then he will be gunning for the podium, especially with the support cast he will have for the TdF.

Nibali is 8 months older than Andy.

42x16ss said:
Riis won't risk his best mountain domestique on the Giro this year, not with the level of competition that will be at the tour.
It seems certain that Frank won't be rinding the Giro, the question is if it's smart. I'd say he has a realistic chance at the Giro, while it's far less certain if he can make a difference in the Tour. Still Saxo Bank prioritizes the Tour over any other GT.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Von Mises said:
In 2009 final TT Andy Schleck lost to the winner (Contador) less than Contador lost to the winner (Leipheimer) of 2007 TT.

You're comparing a 38km TT with a major climb in it to a 56km mostly flat TT with strong wind

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't think he should aim for the giro, cuz having them both as title contenders will make the team stronger and more dangerous.
It's all about the tactics.

Cerberus said:
Nibali is 8 months older than Andy./QUOTE]

Yeah, you're right. I thought it was the other way around for some reason...

Whether it's smart for Frank to ride the Giro depends on how much Andy needs Frank's help in the TdF.

If the Astana team are as willing to ride for Contador as they say they are and Liquigas get behind one leader (probably Nibali) early then Andy may need all the help he can get just to be sure he gets on the podium.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Interestingly enough, Andy has a knee injury, so one would hope that it is sorted by the time the big races come around. Otherwise his chances of winning anything are severly affected. Regardless of what Frank can do.

BroDeal said:
I think you have to factor in what Andy's realistic chances are of beating Contador. I do not see them as that good, so giving the team a decent shot at winning the Giro makes sense.

+1 agreed brodeal.and this could be Franks only chance to win a GT....Mind you Cadel wont mind if he doesnt ride the giro...

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Should Riis split the Schleck brothers and have one (Andy) go for the Tour and one (Frank) go for the Giro? Frank is saying he thinks he can win the Tour this year; but, other than misfortune happening to Andy, is there any way he can realisticly beat his brother? Andy climbs better. He time trials better. He should improve more this year.

Of course he shouldn't and he won't.
Eyes on the prize.
Only possible way to split them would have to do with pressure from the Giro organizers.
It's not the smart thing to do.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Andy and Fränk Schleck should do what Merckx would do. Go for it all. For some crazy reason, I don't see that happening.

Alas, the days when men were made of steel and ships were made of wood.

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I think you have to factor in what Andy's realistic chances are of beating Contador. I do not see them as that good, so giving the team a decent shot at winning the Giro makes sense.

Agreed. Some people seem to think that AS can challenge AC, but I'm yet to see anything that makes me think AS can gain time over AC anywhere in a bike race.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Should Riis split the Schleck brothers and have one (Andy) go for the Tour and one (Frank) go for the Giro? Frank is saying he thinks he can win the Tour this year; but, other than misfortune happening to Andy, is there any way he can realisticly beat his brother? Andy climbs better. He time trials better. He should improve more this year.

I can't see Frank winning the tour. He's such a bad TTer. He can certainly climb super well some days, but he doesn't seem consistently good.

Maybe his bad knee was really holding him back and he'll surprise us. But from that I've seen, I don't expect him to even finish on the podium.

Back to your question... I'd like to see Frank target the Giro too. However, if his heart is really in the TDF, he probably wouldn't perform very well.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
knewcleardaze said:
Andy and Fränk Schleck should do what Merckx would do. Go for it all. For some crazy reason, I don't see that happening.

Alas, the days when men were made of steel and ships were made of wood.

i don't recall merckx having a siamese twin.

ed rader

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Bjarne wants the tour. The schlecks want the tour.

The giro will only be a possibility if there is a possibility (perceived) of taking both, giro and tour, because Andy is in Contador a$$ kicking form not needing frank's help. Giving Frank free reign at the Giro or even Andy turning up and winning while tuning up and not breaking a sweat.

The other possibility is if the tour is no chance, and then frank can focus or andy claim its prep, but target it as menchov seems to have(i know he crashed and this may excuse his performance at the tour).

If the tour is a possibility, but doubted, both frank and andy will turn up in the best form they can. This means no racing at the giro for either.

Which do you think is the most likely option? I'd say unless we see Andy ride away from Contador laughing, at least one time, neither Schleck are racing the giro hard.

At the tour I think Contador will be stronger and it will actually take tactical genius to beat him.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
I can't see Frank winning the tour. He's such a bad TTer. He can certainly climb super well some days, but he doesn't seem consistently good.

Maybe his bad knee was really holding him back and he'll surprise us. But from that I've seen, I don't expect him to even finish on the podium.

Back to your question... I'd like to see Frank target the Giro too. However, if his heart is really in the TDF, he probably wouldn't perform very well.

without the TTT he was 3rd.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Tied for 3rd with Lance.

Yep tied 3rd, still 3rd. I like to think he was stronger though, as he was pulling for his little bro and Lance was working for himself. Also in the high mountains no teammate ever helped frank over them.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
Yep tied 3rd, still 3rd. I like to think he was stronger though, as he was pulling for his little bro and Lance was working for himself. Also in the high mountains no teammate ever helped frank over them.

On some stages he was stronger. Verbier and definitely Grand Bornand. It felt like Lance had more on Ventoux, but it's hard to say for certain.

I think Lance didn't think Frank was a threat for 3rd before Annecy. To be honest, I didn't either... I was shocked Frank rode that TT as well as he did, and felt certain he'd take 3rd and distance Lance on Ventoux. To a certain extent, I think he didn't chase on Grand Bornand as hard as he might have been able to because he was more concerned about putting time into Wiggins then losing time to Frank.

And I'd say Andy was helping Frank at certain points on the climbs, especially on Ventoux. He was trying to pull Frank ahead of Lance, but Frank couldn't bridge up to him.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
cotterpin said:
If Frank can get 4th in the TDF :confused:with a bum knee what can he do with 2 good ones? Podium anyone?

I agree! I think the podium is definitely realistic for him, especially in a course like thisn years, with a lot of climbing, little time trialing and some passages from the classics, where he is also an expert.

To me, Fränk is one of the best cyclists in the world, who can win any spring classic and who could win Paris-Nice or Tour de Suisse, if he'd really focus on it. He actually was on his way to win the Tour de Suisse a couple of years ago, when he had this horrible crash afterwards. On the last stage, the mountain ITT, he put in a decent performance which would have kept him the yellow jersey, unlike Kim Kirchen, who had no chance unfortunately.

Anywho, I don't think that riding the Giro for GC would be a good idea for Fränk, especially since this year's TdF fits Andy so well. Taking away one of the best and most experienced riders from the team (not mentioning all the moral support Fränk is able to give Andy, you know, them being brothers and all) would really make Andy's chances of winning it a whole lot smaller.

Some people here have compared Fränk to riders such as Klöden or Leipheimer, being able to finish high in GC if they're not the designated leaders, and there might be some truth to that. In my opinion, he can hurt himself so much, and push himself really, really far (cf. the dodgy knee in 2009), but maybe lacks the mental strength of an absolute champion. This would also explain why he's so good in one day races, where you don't really have the time to think very much, and why he falls and injures himself rather often.

He won the our of Luxembourg this year, but that race basically comes down to one very hard stage, where he was able to hold of Klöden this year, and there is no time trial (but at least a prologue!). I do think he'd have the physical strength and capabilities to win the Vuelta or the Giro, but maybe not the mental strength. As for Paris-Nice and Tour de Suisse I'd definitely say that he can win them, but then again you don't want to be at 100% in the TdS, and 90 % are probably not going to be enough.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
2011 ohlala ....

The Schleck Bros start their own team with Marc Biver en Kim Andersen
&
Contador with financial support from Specialized to Riis

Dagli Schleck a Contador Grandi manovre per il 2011
L'anno prossimo i due fratelli lussemburghesi vorrebbero creare una squadra tutta loro: Cancellara è il sogno (per ora) impossibile. Il due volte vincitore del Tour de France potrebbe finire nella squadra di Riis. Pellizotti, futuro con la Lampre?
More ==> http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/04-03-2010/dagli-schleck-contador-603199210514.shtml

© DoesAnybodyOutThereEvenCare

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The schleck brothers ditching Riis. Wow that's a huge surprise.....to anyone who has put less than half a second of thought into it.
It's been obvious for a LOOOONG time.

I'm surprised they're not going to Radioshack, though.

If that article is true, they want to associate themselves with Biver. The guy behind the doping at Astana in 2007. Again, only a surprise for Schleck fans.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Of course it just reminded me that in any case, Frank becomes a father in the month of May. So he wouldn't of ridden the Giro anyway.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
The schleck brothers ditching Riis. Wow that's a huge surprise.....to anyone who has put less than half a second of thought into it.
It's been obvious for a LOOOONG time.

I'm surprised they're not going to Radioshack, though.

If that article is true, they want to associate themselves with Biver. The guy behind the doping at Astana in 2007. Again, only a surprise for Schleck fans.

I'd think radioshack is a possibility after Armstrong leaves.