• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"The stars of the Tour 2008 must tremble"

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
sportzchick said:
oh no I agree Rhod - im not stupid to think that

Okay Im biased having my favoirte rider, my hero in that group but the sport needs to clear clean riders just as much as they have to expose cheats
wait. how do we know that those who tested negative are clean. they only tested for cera but the guys couldof been using transfusions or something not yet detectable. we only know for sure three four names from that list. i recall rabobank released their riders and evans was mentioned.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
as I said a few pages back I suspected this was going to be a non story and it is. Waste of time them even announcing anything to the press anyway

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
sportzchick said:
im niether - kinda irrate and upset

Weve put lists of 40 riders and those who are innocent out of that group are tarnished with the same brush as the cheats

Like I said release the 17 riders who are clean

I wouldn't want my name published if I was one of the 17. They haven't been cleared on anything except possibly CERA and they still have abnormal blood values. That's not news I'd like to share with the world regardless of whether my abnormal blood values were caused by doping or not.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
I wouldn't want my name published if I was one of the 17. They haven't been cleared on anything except possibly CERA and they still have abnormal blood values. That's not news I'd like to share with the world regardless of whether my abnormal blood values were caused by doping or not.
I guess - I just wanna know dammit :(

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
sportzchick said:
I guess - I just wanna know dammit :(

I'm a bit curious to. In any case I find the news slightly depressing, if 40 out of around 60 riders have abnormal blood values, then it seems to me "abnormalities" are shockingly normal. Perhaps some abnormalities are cause by something genuinly abnormal, but the majority? To me it indicates that the sport might very well be (almost) as dirty as it used to be.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
allegedly when they test you for cera with the new wada standard (may 2009) they can also see other types of epo (dyn, even 4th gen..) and proceed to a more specific test if any suspicion. so being cleared of cera may in theory clear them of an epo charge. but that's just specific to the 2008 tour. being on the list of the 17 does not necessarily mean they were selected because of "sticky" blood values. afld used several criteria.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:

Considering the hype behind this thread I feel a tad defeated. It may seem trivial, but I wanted someone caught, not necessarily big name, but someone. Kohl, Ricco, Schumacher and Piepoli couldn't have been all the bad eggs from 2008. Okay, time for the feds to invent that HGH and autologous test and release it on an unsuspecting peloton. Anyday now.....

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Considering the hype behind this thread I feel a tad defeated. It may seem trivial, but I wanted someone caught, not necessarily big name, but someone. Kohl, Ricco, Schumacher and Piepoli couldn't have been all the bad eggs from 2008. Okay, time for the feds to invent that HGH and autologous test and release it on an unsuspecting peloton. Anyday now.....

I almost feel relieved, perhaps it evidence of a final moral defeat, but I've gone from hoping that the riders I like are clean to hoping they don't test positive. It's depresing to realize you're that cynical. I still want a clean sport, I just don't believe I'll ever get it.

iainf72 said:
I recall this story at the time was exposed as made up nonsense. Cadel posted on his own page (in english) to confirm he only works with Sassi and hadn't worked with the myth.

Ahhh.......It is about time Iain from the bikeradar.com forums came across. Watch out for this guy.....he has a pretty good knack for finding stories before the mainstream media does.

Welcome

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
I'm a bit curious to. In any case I find the news slightly depressing, if 40 out of around 60 riders have abnormal blood values, then it seems to me "abnormalities" are shockingly normal. Perhaps some abnormalities are cause by something genuinly abnormal, but the majority? To me it indicates that the sport might very well be (almost) as dirty as it used to be.
there is a vast aray of riders who have fans on here that many are panicking a bit - i know i am

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
iainf72 said:
Not even Astarloza? That's a pretty hopeless effort Pierre.
wait. what kind of logic is that. if i was the afld and knew a freshly caught doper is on the list of suspects why would i want to waste those expensive reagents and my lab time.

isn't it a pure waste when a juicier target is in view.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
python said:
wait. what kind of logic is that. if i was the afld and knew a freshly caught doper is on the list of suspects why would i want to waste those expensive reagents and my lab time.

Hardly, another positive would shot a big gaping hole in his "altitude tent" defense and possibly save them an expesive trial. Plus I think thye can ban him twice with 2 positives. Money well spent IMO.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
Hardly, another positive would shot a big gaping hole in his "altitude tent" defense and possibly save them an expesive trial. Plus I think thye can ban him twice with 2 positives. Money well spent IMO.

astaloza admitted after his b positive. there is no defense there will be no trial. guilty as charged with an idiotic explanation. also why would french waste their time and stick their noses in the essentially spanish affair. coni they are not.

correction: he did not admit but his explanation is stupid.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
python said:

If they did test him, and he came back negative, how much faith would you have in their testing? It's pretty clear MA should've come back positive. Unless he only did it that one time....;)

And the AFLD retested some positives with the CERA blood test last year, n'est pas?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
iainf72 said:
If they did test him, and he came back negative, how much faith would you have in their testing? It's pretty clear MA should've come back positive. Unless he only did it that one time....;)

And the AFLD retested some positives with the CERA blood test last year, n'est pas?
again there is no sound rationale to waste resources on testing astarloza a dead horse. this was not a research project. last year was different. very different. first they had an unreliable urine test for cera that was applied to several riders multiple times. then by the end of the tour they perfected the blood test for cera and netted kohl and schumacker. this is your explanation. labs don't waste their resources because some forum members desire so.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
python said:
astaloza admitted after his b positive. there is no defense there will be no trial. guilty as charged with an idiotic explanation. also why would french waste their time and stick their noses in the essentially spanish affair. coni they are not.

correction: he did not admit but his explanation is stupid.

So was Landis' excuse and proving that cost millions. Also it's hardly a Spanish affair if he doped during the Tour.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
So there was a press conference to announce that no CERA positives have been found after retesting 17 anonymous samples out of approximately 40...

How's that for clarification! I am glad it's made its way to the general public.

Can we assume 40-17=23 and they have been given the 10 day notice, so that we'll have another announcement in 2 weeks? Or are all the 'irregular' values only irregular, so that there is nothing to accuse them of because they ride within the set parametes.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
“The 17 retested controls were negative. It was not our goal to find anything.” said Bordry

So the point of everything was what, exactly? Retest controls where they wouldn't find anything.

In this case they have succeeded.

What about the other 23?

What will the goal be there?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
They must be working on an Aicar/hematide test I guess....

Anyway, other trembling stars... Roberto Heras won the WC 'folding bikes' race in Oxfordshire this year, after having taken silver last year...

media_xl_2061548.jpg

Brompton-Worlds-Heras-7.jpg

Brompton-podium-123.jpg