• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"The stars of the Tour 2008 must tremble"

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
So once more going to sleep and then the positives of the 2008 TdF come out.

My bets;
1.) Sastre (the way he talked alot bout retiring and family + his results this year)
2.) Menchov (very quiet since may)
3.) Pereiro Sio (all of a sudden he wants to retire)

so lets see, 10 am european time.... :eek:

I really dont think there will be any announcement tomorrow rearding the retested samples.
The only report we have seen is the one from Germany and it said it was a AFLD report - obviously FoxyB you might have a better translation of it.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
As far as eurosport.de and ard-video-text goes, the press conference should be tomorrow at 10 am. Thats the latest news i have from today. Hope i am not wrong.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
So i have it confirmed:
The Video-Text of Germanys ZDF (not ARD) says Press-Conference tomorrow about the 2008-Samples. No translation error. It could be only that the germans dont have the latest news, otherwise i am waiting for the anouncement of at least Carlos Sastre positiv.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
So i have it confirmed:
The Video-Text of Germanys ZDF (not ARD) says Press-Conference tomorrow about the 2008-Samples. No translation error. It could be only that the germans dont have the latest news, otherwise i am waiting for the anouncement of at least Carlos Sastre positiv.

Germanys ZDF and Eurosport.de..... I am not saying they are unreliable, but they are not exactly Twitter are they? :eek:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
The problem being that the "goggle" or yahoo's year fish barely make better translations than a random person with a dictionary translating isolated words one by one.

I've tried using that Tool album to translate, but it just sits there. Maybe I forgot some random spell.

hehe rosetta... I dunno about that program, it all sounds too good to be true, and we all know what that means...

Isso sim, se deus quiser, é presunçoso ;)

Tens razon. De onde você é , Brazil ou Portugal? No falo portugues muito bem, mas intento... :)

Dr. Maserati said:
Bala - I am shocked and I cant believe you wrote that!

I'll wash my mouth with green soap :eek:

I just wanted to add that, since I view it as an open source cycling themed community, I assume people just contribute to the forum any way they can. Share info, add insights, and make fun of each other. Sometimes I translate, sometimes I don't (hoping others will chip in). When the road turns 'chemistry' or 'maths' - even in English I don't always fully understand, it's like a different language - I can't wait for the poster that rephrases stuff in 'plain' English :p

oh, and feel free to ask....

So to get back on topic...

Does anyone think that Vaughter's mysterious twitter massage has anything to do with tomorrow's (or near future) events? Is VDV the new 2008 TdF winner?

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
VDV would be a reach. I stay with my bet: Sastre gone, so Evans is the winner.

This could end up being the best two weeks of Evan's career.

Or, perhaps Sastre's positive sample might get dropped/lost, keeping Evans in 2nd place, in a curious case of the 'curse of the rainbow jersey'.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
When the road turns 'chemistry' or 'maths' - even in English I don't always fully understand, it's like a different language - I can't wait for the poster that rephrases stuff in 'plain' English :p

I can probably translate at least some of the scientific discussion, but wasn't sure if anyone wanted a translation. Anyone is welcome to ask/PM me if they want me to attempt a plain English translation. It's difficult to know the level to pitch a translation at, so a specific 'can you explain this bit' or a general 'wtf was that all about' would help.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
^^the chicken's wife is mexican.

funny he said after the mexican race he just won he'd place in top ten in the vuelta this year.

on topic - several outlets confirmed there will be a press conference. i don't think any names will be released just numbers and what test they failed. i expect 2 at most three busted.

dpa reports the press conference will also cover the latest uci afld spat and i like this one - that the 2009 tour samples will be retested later this month.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Nick777 said:

Or, perhaps Sastre's positive sample might get dropped/lost, keeping Evans in 2nd place, in a curious case of the 'curse of the rainbow jersey'.

If you want "rainbow curse" Evans could get worse news out of the testing than that Sastre didn't test positive.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Nick777 said:

If sastre did turn out to be positive, i wouldn't be happy even if that made evans win the tdf... It wouldn't seem like a win and another dope controversey would definetly do nothing good for the sport.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
If sastre did turn out to be positive, i wouldn't be happy even if that made evans win the tdf... It wouldn't seem like a win and another dope controversey would definetly do nothing good for the sport.

I disagree. It would be great for cycling. Obviously a lot of short-term bad for the sport, but good in the long-term. I know people disagree with me, but over the next 5-10 years, if it takes retrospective testing to determine that 2nd or 3rd place getter is the real tour winner, then this is the only way to fully eradicate doping in the long term.

The riders need to know that if they take "undetectable" products, and then win/podium in a race, then this result will at some stage be proven to be incorrect through retrospective testing and their careers forever tainted. If they think that after 1 year, they're in the clear, then they will continue to take the newest products that wont be detected until appropriate tests are devised.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:
I disagree. It would be great for cycling. Obviously a lot of short-term bad for the sport, but good in the long-term. I know people disagree with me, but over the next 5-10 years, if it takes retrospective testing to determine that 2nd or 3rd place getter is the real tour winner, then this is the only way to fully eradicate doping in the long term.

The riders need to know that if they take "undetectable" products, and then win/podium in a race, then this result will at some stage be proven to be incorrect through retrospective testing and their careers forever tainted. If they think that after 1 year, they're in the clear, then they will continue to take the newest products that wont be detected until appropriate tests are devised.

+1.....
I totally agree - and that is why I find it frustrating (yet not surprising) that the UCI did not conduct retro testing on the 2008 Giro samples.

We know that CERA was being used by many- there was probably a good chance that they would have caught Bosisio then.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:

I agree that retroactive testing is the best hope for a clean(er) sport, but I don't think it's that simple. It might not be number 2 or 3 who was clean, it could be number 8 or 12 and perhaps they weren't really clean, perhaps what they took just can't be detected yet. There is a risc of an almost neverending cycle of appointing new "true winners". I might be to pessimistic, but in any case I think it might be wiser to say that ok: "From this point on we'll do retroactive testing". That way you could hopefully scare some people clean(er) and therebye reduce the damage to the sport from potentially catching 9 out of 10 top GC contenders in the sport. Because I honestly think that that would be the likely outcome of comprehensive retroactive testing and the last guy might not even really be clean.

Dr. Maserati said:
+1.....
I totally agree - and that is why I find it frustrating (yet not surprising) that the UCI did not conduct retro testing on the 2008 Giro samples.

We know that CERA was being used by many- there was probably a good chance that they would have caught Bosisio then.

+2. The more positive tests, the better in the long run.

luckyboy said:
I'd say, taking from this list [not inc. Ricco, Piepoli etc.]..

Valjavec
Menchov
Kirchen
Schlecks

if any :rolleyes:

"The Phantom", is my bet.
Valjavec, is almost Italian and is very rarely seen on race coverage.
Nice and expendable.
Pat will be currently working on another "shows the bio passport is working," speech and ignoring the French.....again.:rolleyes:

Nick777 said:
+2. The more positive tests, the better in the long run.

It is only good if the testing is done fairly. The UCI now wants to test the 2008 Giro samples, but only the samples of riders who are suspicious. This opens up all sorts of issues of favoritism and corruption. The AFLD has opened itself up to the same questions.

Why not test the 2007 samples from the GTs for CERA, Dynepo, testosterone, ACTH, etc.? Do that and we would have the opportunity to scour the sport clean.