• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The thread of "Neilson Powless is not powerless anymore thread"

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Once, he was heralded as a potential GT contender. He won't ever be so, I can't see him earning anything else than a fringe Top10 earned by aggresive racing and breaks. He is not that good on successive multi-mountain stages and usually sheds (lots of) time.

His 2022 TdF placing was achieved via multiple breaks that allowed him to anticipate the race. His GC GT ceilling is a Guillaume Martin kind of rider.

You don't (or shouldn't) sacrifice a proven winner on hilly classics and minor one day races, stage hunter and contender on week-long races for especifically targetting a long shot on a GT Top-10. At least I wouldn't do so when you have better chances of shining.
Yes, so this prognostication went nowhere. Good job, Mr. Powless!

Maybe i've been sleeping or maybe i've been ignorant, because now i know, it seems quite evident. But only today did i learn he is from native American descent. I see there were actually mainstream sportsmedia reporting this in 2020 (Sporza, VeloNews, ESPN...). That's actually pretty cool. Hope it can inspire people across the globe.

The commentator on GCN the day he won San Sebastián (I think it was Matt Rendell) talked it up big time when he won there.

Maybe i've been sleeping or maybe i've been ignorant, because now i know, it seems quite evident. But only today did i learn he is from native American descent. I see there were actually mainstream sportsmedia reporting this in 2020 (Sporza, VeloNews, ESPN...). That's actually pretty cool. Hope it can inspire people across the globe.
Yup, and not just a matter of Indigenous blood, he spent part of his time growing up on the rez.

Yes, so this prognostication went nowhere. Good job, Mr. Powless!

"You don't (or shouldn't) sacrifice a proven winner on hilly classics and minor one day races, stage hunter and contender on week-long races for especifically targetting a long shot on a GT Top-10. At least I wouldn't do so when you have better chances of shining."

If anything, it is even more accurate and inclined towards my view today than two months ago. My post was praising his ability to shine in multiple terrains bar GC on 3 week races. Like I said, you don't sacrifice what he is bringing today by targetting a fringe Top-10. Let's see what happens on this year Tour anyways.

Reactions: Oldermanish
"You don't (or shouldn't) sacrifice a proven winner on hilly classics and minor one day races, stage hunter and contender on week-long races for especifically targetting a long shot on a GT Top-10. At least I wouldn't do so when you have better chances of shining."

If anything, it is even more accurate and inclined towards my view today than two months ago. My post was praising his ability to shine in multiple terrains bar GC on 3 week races. Like I said, you don't sacrifice what he is bringing today by targetting a fringe Top-10. Let's see what happens on this year Tour anyways.
Indeed, let's see. His youthful abilities supported the work loads necessary for a 3 week race. Not getting an opportunity while filling your paid work duty on a team doesn't automatically negate potential but that assignment is in the control of the " you don't sacrifice what he is bringing today by targetting a fringe Top-10 " authority.
Case in point: Mateo ended up on a semi-rigid team, Movistar. He's shown a bit of his future in a freer environment (some would say lacking focus).
Kuss expresses satisfaction with his current super-domestique role and, realistically; the longer he accepts that as a job the less likely to become a GT podium player. You would be correct in claiming Kuss lacks that upside in that instance.
It does seem to be a payroll choice for many of the riders, though. They recognize a value in constant salary as a major contributor to success and accept they can't, or won't do whats necessary to be a GT contender.

And likely you wouldn't sacrifice a proven GT rider to pursue abusive, 273 km hilly classics in the cold. All the while risking crashes and an early end to the season.
Except when you do and the guy wins. Congrats to Tadej, Neilson and Matteo; the new hardmen generation.

Just wanted to say it's nice to see him able to get the polka dot jersey at least for a few days in this year's Tour. I don't expect him to have it at the end, but I'm glad to see him have for at least a few days. Maybe he can get in the break tomorrow and keep for a few more days.

Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS