• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The thread of "Neilson Powless is not powerless anymore thread"

It seemed like he would have pursued development primarily in stage races but he's rather unexpectedly developed into a formidable one day racer this year. His San Sebastian win came a bit ouf of the blue but then he confirmed the high level in Italian classics and now today. I had a hunch he could do well today. In general, he's rebounded really well after an underwhelming 2020.

First American rider to be relevant in a men's elite WC RR race in many years. The USA have particuarly struggled to produce riders for hilly classics in recent years.

It's interesting how it will go for Powless in the following year. Could he have a good Lombardia this year?

It seemed like he would have pursued development primarily in stage races but he's rather unexpectedly developed into a formidable one day racer this year. His San Sebastian win came a bit ouf of the blue but then he confirmed the high level in Italian classics and now today. I had a hunch he could do well today. In general, he's rebounded really well after an underwhelming 2020.

First American rider to be relevant in a men's elite WC RR race in many years. The USA have particuarly struggled to produce riders for hilly classics in recent years.

It's interesting how it will go for Powless in the following year. Could he have a good Lombardia this year?

When I took him in the cq game I thought he would have a good year... but I was still entirely wrong, because I thought he'd be a climber, and he's more of a very decently time trialing rider for the harder classics...

Reactions: Sandisfan
He rode really well too, one of the strongest in that chasing group of 4, but with by far the worst sprint. If the finish was on a climb might have had a chance to podium, though I don’t know how much gas he still had in the tank by the end.
He had tried multiple attacks on the run in, but he didn’t have Alaf’s power and couldn’t get the gap that he needed. He would probably have been better off sitting on and saving up for one big attack on the final climb, but he did a great ride.

Hopefully he can kick on from here and win some more big races.

TRENDING THREADS