• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Tour de France...the Armstrong vs. Contador show

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
RdBiker said:
We really haven't seen him put out anything special in the TTs he's done. And until he does I don't believe he can even beat Contador in a flat TT let alone in a hilly one.

No no no, this race is for Contador.

I agree. The team time trial suits contador perfectly. he'll take time out of rabobank and lotto there and he can out climb or out time trial any of the other contenders. at monaco if menchov and evans get 20 to 30 seconds on contador then both their teams do strong team time trials and don't lose too much time to astana then they'll be in it, but i don't see either happening as the monaco tt is hilly so it will suit contador:(

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Developing on a few of the points raised in this thread:

From what I hear many riders dislike Lance but it is advantageous to get along with him. He is not called "The Boss" for nothing. It certainly does not pay to **** him off. As he has consistently demonstrated his ego is way more important that the careers of both his rivals and the quiet guys in the peloton just trying to do their job.

If we see Contador placing highly in long flat TT's and the prologue we will know that nothing has changed.

If we see Lance riding away from the top GC guys on the climbs the entire sport will be dead and buried.

Personally I pledge that if LA wins in his usual manner I will burn my racing license and bury my bikes in the garden and never ride again.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Lance or JB as good tacticians? Don't see it. Take 9 strong riders, ride up the mountian as hard pull off when you can't hack it until your team leader is left to battle anyone who hung on. There was some play acting one year, but that didn't strike me as worthy of being a great tactician on anyone's part. What am I missing?
So far I've seen nothing to suggest Lance can win, his form in the giro suggested further improvement was possible before france, but to get to contador would take quite a bit. Contador seemed to cover evans just fine in the Dauphine, and evans looks to be in the form of his life.

Im not a Lance fan but his performance in the Giro was impressive given that his broken collar bone must have been some sort of hindrance in the weeks beforehand. I suppose you can still train but would heavy breathing associated with intense efforts cause pain? Also i suppose that the healing must take some effort from the body which will allow recovery from training rides to not be as fast. Anyway, lance is aiming for the TdF so he should peak there - i dont like it but i find it hard not to put him in at least the top 5 or the podium. Contador should have the beating of him but i think the internal politics may be more interesting to watch than the racing!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Personally, I think that given the chance Armstrong will give a red hot go at winning, even from the TT. I cannot imagine him sitting back (only if he has to help AC lol) when given an opportunity, but all GC riders will have opportunities to have a tilt at the title somewhere in the race, it is what they make of it.

I wanted to ask, as it has been bought up, does age make that much difference?

You hear that some young riders just don't have the legs yet etc, but there are some sports and sports people who get better with age, eg women who have matured can turn into really good marathon runners, doing far better than when they were younger.

Could this have a similar effect for LA?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Increasingly, as more athletes compete until older, age makes little difference. Power decreases hence sprinters become wily, strength increases look at the ages of top power lifters, and endurance seems to stay way up there at least until 40. Many powerlifting records are held by athletes approaching 50. Dave scott at the age of 40 came 2nd at hawaii ironman, ekimov won (hamilton aside) the athens tt at 39. It seems athletes burn out mentally first and just can't pull themselves together for solid training day in day out.
What may be more telling is 3 years away from competitive racing, but there is little data to suggest this'll hurt too much if his head is in the right place.

Haha, that original post was a laugh at least, you have been watching to many nike adds

I agree that the course does suit Lance more than many in the past but I honestly think Contador will beat him by a good ten seconds at least in the first TT - 15 km and hilly is perfect for contador and he will gain a few seconds on some of the other mountain stages too. I only realistically see Lance making up any time on Contador in the final TT which he will most likely lose again on Ventoux. That, coupled with the fact that Lance will, at best, have just over half a team just makes me think it's not going to happen.

All the better I say, good to see some younger guy winning coming through and also good to see climbers wining the tour again.

The main reason I don't like to see Lance back is that the cameras always follow him. You constantly get picks of Lance struggling or doing ok rather than the guys at the front attacking. It's like watching a footy game and having the cameras concentrated on the goalie all game.

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Got to admit it I have the utmost respect for Armstrong and fully support him in his come back, world cycling has been alot more interesting since his return FOR SURE! Hey the guy has already put his **** on the line doing the Giro this year as a build up for the tour which he has never done before, if that's not a risk then what is... you have to repsect him for that for a start. We didn't see contador or evans at the Giro. I think he'll be real strong at the tour and win number 8, it'll bring out in him what it has the last 7 times he's done it, you can see he's just as focussed and motivated as he was in his prime... he was never far behind in the giro after 4 years with no serious racing, should be dam good to watch.. Have to say i'm alot more excited about the tour now that lance is back in it.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I think stage 4 may prove to be something of a Waterloo for Astana. It's a TTT and it requires team work and working out together. As far as I know Astana'a honchos haven't been training for this as members are a seperated by oceans. I bet Saxo Bank has this event fine tuned. I think Saxo will be the biggest threat to Astana and they are a Team, not just a bunch of egos collecting checks from the same payee. Riijs' crew will be ready, but the ITT will probably kill Andy Schleck's yellow jersey hopes.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
the ghost to haunt us

i think the quicker lance armstrong is out of the sport the better. the sport will never move on from drug realted problems with him in the sport. i don't think you could call evans a jan ullrich type of rider especially due to his attacking ride at the dauphine. i will say again that the tour course will not suit evans due to the ttt. he will lose time their. i definetly hope that the tour will not be the armstrong v contador show... zzzzzzzzzz

auscyclefan94 said:
i think the quicker lance armstrong is out of the sport the better. the sport will never move on from drug realted problems with him in the sport.

True. As long as riders like Armstrong are anywhere near the sport, the stench of doping will not go away. Any rider who entertains the thought of riding clean will be able to look at Armstrong and see the way to get to the top is by using drugs.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
True. As long as riders like Armstrong are anywhere near the sport, the stench of doping will not go away. Any rider who entertains the thought of riding clean will be able to look at Armstrong and see the way to get to the top is by using drugs.

I dont like Lance and I wish he would be busted and embarrassed... But doping in Pro sports will never ever end unless there is no significant money involved and the possibility of millions in endorsments is taken out.

If there wasnt so much damn money to be made... Everybody wants more of it. I think the best anti-doping method for a sports activity is to have it be amateur.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
mitch1 said:
Got to admit it I have the utmost respect for Armstrong and fully support him in his come back, world cycling has been alot more interesting since his return FOR SURE! Hey the guy has already put his **** on the line doing the Giro this year as a build up for the tour which he has never done before, if that's not a risk then what is... you have to repsect him for that for a start. We didn't see contador or evans at the Giro. I think he'll be real strong at the tour and win number 8, it'll bring out in him what it has the last 7 times he's done it, you can see he's just as focussed and motivated as he was in his prime... he was never far behind in the giro after 4 years with no serious racing, should be dam good to watch.. Have to say i'm alot more excited about the tour now that lance is back in it.

No doubt... The pro cycling world needed a big buzz and they got it with Lance. I think he was pretty bored or something. Funny he needs to do this, he has nothing to prove. Good first post.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
mitch1 said:
For many people his comeback is a shame, he is the doping icone.
But are you suggesting that he will dope like he did after cancer?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
I dont like Lance and I wish he would be busted and embarrassed...

BigBoat said:
No doubt... The pro cycling world needed a big buzz and they got it with Lance. I think he was pretty bored or something. Funny he needs to do this, he has nothing to prove. Good first post.

It's hard to pick out your sarcasm sometimes...

But I have to agree with someone else's post in the forum that you are entertaining...:D

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Well we know one thing about this year's tour, it won't be boring It will be interesting no matter who wins. If LA wins it's an embarrassment to the sport, not because of doping but a 38 year old rider that's been out of the sport for 3 years came back and won the tour. If contador wins he assures himself as the best rider in the world he pushes his jersey in bruyneels face and say I'm the best in the world you want to keep me around no more drama with LA, if somebody else wins and contador and armstrong go against each other well......... but Contador should win this he is the best right know .

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Well here's what bruyneel said on cyclingnews: Team manager Johan Bruyneel said that Contador “has worked very hard, earning the right to represent our team as the leader this July.” He added that Armstrong “is extremely motivated for the Tour de France.” Does this satisfy people yet, I don't think so. Also paulino has been added to the roster not the other spanish rider though.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
He's portuguese as far as I know. Not far off for Bertie, LOL.

But what's happened to his Spanish training fellow, Jesus somebody...? Good climber, but is he not in form? Haven't heard much of him lately.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
Well here's what bruyneel said on cyclingnews: Team manager Johan Bruyneel said that Contador “has worked very hard, earning the right to represent our team as the leader this July.” He added that Armstrong “is extremely motivated for the Tour de France.” Does this satisfy people yet, I don't think so. Also paulino has been added to the roster not the other spanish rider though.

I'd say that not even JB knows what shape Lance is in. He's having wet dreams about Lance winning the Tour but when he wakes up he realizes that that's all it's probably going to be: a dream.

TRENDING THREADS