• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The ultimate fanboy - Indurain says Armstrong is Innocent!

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
When Indurain went past Robert Millar in the Pyrennees I knew cycling was very very sick and tuned out for years.
It seems like Robert Millar is some kind of God around here but Robert himself (herself nowadays) has been caught too.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Although the case of Jalabert reminds us that it is never prudent to over generalize.
Jalabert had most of his successes while with Once... Team's nationality might be more important than individuals'.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
"Jeff" said:
It seems like Robert Millar is some kind of God around here but Robert himself (herself nowadays) has been caught too.

I did not elevate Millar to godlike status! I know Millar doped.

When a massive Indurain went past wee Millar i knew it was wrong.

EPO benefitted bigger riders than smaller, unless a smaller rider pratically overdosed like Pantani at 60+%.

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
Thomas Davy disagrees.

edit: funny, Davy was represented by one of my favourite Playmobil figures (originally a cowboy) when me and my brother did cycling races with them. I kind of liked him, but I had barely mentioned his name before. Until today. I'm bringing him up everywhere.
Thomas Davy was a member for Banesto for only 2 seasons. He might have seen something, no doubt, but he never accused Indurain personally. He might have had a personal agenda as well because he wasnt offered a contract by them. I dont think he's a very reliable witness, or at least you can call his testimony a bit 'weak'.

"Jeff" said:
Thomas Davy was a member for Banesto for only 2 seasons. He might have seen something, no doubt, but he never accused Indurain personally. He might have had a personal agenda as well because he wasnt offered a contract by them. I dont think he's a very reliable witness.
Ah, he was bitter and jealous, I suppose.

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
Ah, he was bitter and jealous, I suppose.
Well, its not a crime to stay sceptical, yes.

Now if somebody like Gorospe, Bernard, Rue, Alonso said something similar, than we are talking.

"Jeff" said:
Well, its not a crime to stay sceptical, yes.

Now if somebody like Gorospe, Bernard, Rue, Alonso said something similar, than we are talking.

Should we dismiss all the information in the USADA report by any rider who spent two years or less with Armstrong? Davy said in 2000 Banesto had an organized team doping program, what was his motive if not the truth?

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
Should we dismiss all the information in the USADA report by any rider who spent two years or less with Armstrong? Davy said in 2000 Banesto had an organized team doping program, what was his motive if not the truth?
If you fail to see the difference between US postal and Banesto, than I cant help you.

As for Davy, one motive has been discussed already and perhaps there's more. I dont know, you dont know. Perhaps he was looking for some press because his career certainly didnt bring him any press.

A nobody like Davy, who wasnt offered a new contract by that particular team, who said there was a doping program without providing any details, nah, I need more than that.

Indurain's defense of Armstrong sounds similar to other Spanish riders' defense of Valverde upon his eventual ban. I get the feeling the Spanish, like many on this forum believe everyone dopes the same - because we all do it it's unjust that we be penalised when caught.

Sorry but I don't wear this line of thinking simply because, at least in Armstrong's case, it seems he employed more sophisticated doping than his competition. Even if 'everyone does it' does not mean you have a fair and level playing field. Indurain is making a fool of himself.

"Jeff" said:
If you fail to see the difference between US postal and Banesto, than I cant help you.

As for Davy, one motive has been discussed already and perhaps there's more. I dont know, you dont know. Perhaps he was looking for some press because his career certainly didnt bring him any press.

A nobody like Davy, who wasnt offered a new contract by that particular team, who said there was a doping program without providing any details, nah, I need more than that.

I don't really know the difference so i guess you have me there. You do sound a little like the Postal fans though. Unbelievable performances and first hand reports are not good enough. The good news is nobody is going to bring Indurain down, his legacy is safe.

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
I don't really know the difference so i guess you have me there. You do sound a little like the Postal fans though. Unbelievable performances and first hand reports are not good enough. The good news is nobody is going to bring Indurain down, his legacy is safe.
The difference between US Postal and Banesto is +20 witnesses/including some good friends & a file of 1000 pages and good old Thomas Davy with an one-liner. Yeah I really sound a little like the Postal fans. I mean what is the difference ? :cool:

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
The difference between US Postal and Banesto is +20 witnesses/including some good friends & a file of 1000 pages and good old Thomas Davy with an one-liner. Yeah I really sound a little like the Postal fans. I mean what is the difference ? :cool:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
"Jeff" said:

At the Festina tribunal in 2000 Indurain's teammate Thomas Davy said: "At Banesto there was a system of doping with medical supervision."

Why would he lie?

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
At the Festina tribunal in 2000 Indurain's teammate Thomas Davy said: "At Banesto there was a system of doping with medical supervision."

Why would he lie?
Because Big Mig once stole his lunchbox.

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

Why would he lie?
Because Big Mig once stole his lunchbox.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Must dig out the video of Olano and Mig sticking it to the Colombian climbers at the WRR in Columbia back in the 1990s. Too funny and too bad Hincapie couldn't have been there to show climbing prowess, too. Man, the pigs were flying in Columbia that day.

Cloxxki said:
Sammy too? It gets easier by the day to make the clean podiums for the so-called lost era. Crown the clean victors, send them their rightful money!

Yes interesting. The question is, are they really going to get money? Did Andy Schleck get the money for Contador's clen positive and DQ?

Did Contador ever get paid? Have to return the money?

This opens up an entire bag of worms, trying to chase every guy who made a buck from doping (the list is long), what does that include? Their paycheck? Teams want their money back now?

Benotti69 said:
Merckx is no longer relevant to sport. He should along with the likes of Indurain and Jalabert keep their mouths shut and not treat fans with such disrespect.

He is still considered the benchmark in cycling and his name is close to untouchable when speaking about the sports holy sanctum. I never heard anyone whining when he defended Armstrong back in August.

I agree that they should keep their trap shut though.

When Indurain went past Robert Millar in the Pyrennees I knew cycling was very very sick and tuned out for years.

You mean the same Robert Millar that was doped to the gills? Comments like these makes me realises that it is very different standards considering doping here. I mean, we have had proven dopers like Ullrich and Robert Millar fanboys around here pointing finger at Indurain. :D

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Indurain was part of the problem during the dirtiest era in cycling. What authority he has to say whether Armstrong was clean or not? He's the last guy I would trust.

Maybe he wanted some spotlight on him. God knows people don't talk about him much anymore.

TRENDING THREADS