The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

carton said:
King Boonen said:
245km distance and 4150m climbed in what was basically November conditions in the West of Scotland. Driving headwinds, constant rain, I was in full winter kit for over half of the ride.
Chapeau. What a beast. I did a sixth and a fourth of that, respectively, in somewhat similar conditions but with only a rain cape, and I skipped my recovery ride this morning because I was feeling a bit Luis Angel Mate when I woke up / came back to life.
Cheers, I do kind of enjoy rides like that as long as I have the right gear. Borrowed a large saddle bag from a mate to carry loads of food and winter gear, glad I did even though it was heavy. The worst bit for me is the mudguards though, they seem to act like sails, particularly above 30kph, and pull you back. I was glad I'd put them on though otherwise I would have been covered!

rick james said:
[quote="King Boonen":13tagxpc]245km distance and 4150m climbed in what was basically November conditions in the West of Scotland. Driving headwinds, constant rain, I was in full winter kit for over half of the ride.
Yeah. Saw your post. Dude you're a beast! Was this an organized ride or just for the heck of it?
Thanks :D Just a route I'd had in my head for a while I fancied giving a go. I had to postpone from Saturday to Sunday. Saturday was sunny and calm, Sunday... Wasn't :)
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
Today I did a 94km ride with over 1800m of altitude gain and Forcella Zovo right in the middle of the ride, the final part of that climb is just nasty steep.
 
I've done Passo Agueglio, Alpe Cainallo and Alpe Giumello of bigger climbs in Lombardia so far. All hard climbs and +1 hour efforts, I've never tried something like that before. I climbed Giumello (20 km, 7%) a couple of days ago on the hottest day, it was brutal, but I managed the most feared last part (6 km, 9%) pretty well thankfully. Thought Id bonk since I had no water or anything the last 45 min or so. Amazing climb, with a good and large parking spot - hope to see it as a MTF in the Giro.

Today I rode Cainallo (18 km, 6,7%) which is 3/4 of Agueglio, then into a narrow and steep road. Great climb again. I did a FTP-test, kinda, as I went as fast as I could. I stopped 1,5 km from the top at 1 h 04 m as it simply was too hard. I climbed it to the top one day ago so no biggie. The last 2 kilometres are brutal, on a very narrow and shitty road. No Giro Potential.

Im not climbing P. San Marco or Mortirolo, but I plan to go to Bellagio tomorrow and do Ghisallo + Muro.
 
Home from our family-summer house, where I spent the last week (with my parents and grandmother).
I also rode out there last Sunday, but that didn't go so well; I got lost. :p Luckily, this time I was riding together with my mother for a large part of the trip.
Then, after a shower, I rode down to my parents for dinner, then back home.
 
Staying in Fügen in Zillertal for a couple of days. Today, I climbed the road from Kaltenbach to the Jausenstation Almluft (6km á 11%) ,then proceeded to the Zillertaler Höhenstrasse from Kaltenbach and ended the ride with the climb up to Hochfügen. Ridiculously steep gradients...
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Staying in Fügen in Zillertal for a couple of days. Today, I climbed the road from Kaltenbach to the Jausenstation Almluft (6km á 11%) ,then proceeded to the Zillertaler Höhenstrasse from Kaltenbach and ended the ride with the climb up to Hochfügen. Ridiculously steep gradients...
Good lord, that's one hell of a ride, props to you!
 
Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Staying in Fügen in Zillertal for a couple of days. Today, I climbed the road from Kaltenbach to the Jausenstation Almluft (6km á 11%) ,then proceeded to the Zillertaler Höhenstrasse from Kaltenbach and ended the ride with the climb up to Hochfügen. Ridiculously steep gradients...
Good lord, that's one hell of a ride, props to you!
Thanks! I was also very tired today, so only did the climb up to Hintertux on today's ride (which was actually quite steep in the beginning too) :D
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
Today I did a 95km ride with 2500m of altitude gain, a small local climb after 15km (Goschte from Taisten), then Furcia from Olang/Valdaora and Passo delle Erbe/Ju de Börz from Piccolein before descending down to Bressanone/Brixen.
I had a bad day, no power in my legs and I almost cracked on the Furcia ascent. I did better on the Passo delle Erbe, but I had to ride small gears and take it rather easy, I just had bad legs.
 
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Today I did a 95km ride with 2500m of altitude gain, a small local climb after 15km (Goschte from Taisten), then Furcia from Olang/Valdaora and Passo delle Erbe/Ju de Börz from Piccolein before descending down to Bressanone/Brixen.
I had a bad day, no power in my legs and I almost cracked on the Furcia ascent. I did better on the Passo delle Erbe, but I had to ride small gears and take it rather easy, I just had bad legs.
Sounds like a tough day on the bike mentally, if all you could rely on was willpower ;)
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
Yeah, it wasn't an easy day, I just had to spin a small gear and I was able to recover a bit on Passo delle Erbe, the 16% ramp in Untermoi wasn't a problem, it's just a short ramp. This side of Passo delle Erbe might be a better climb in a race or even as a MTF, but the classic side from Brixen is just stunning, the 30km down to Brixen after the ascent are just great and the scenery is stunning.
Also lots of cyclists, around 30 people were climbing Passo delle Erbe from Brixen while I was descending, but it's a great climb, long, stunning and not a lot of traffic, it's always a good alternative to the bigger names in the Dolomites were you have to deal with a ton of cars and motobikes.
You could also ride the harder first half of the climb from Brixen, then turn left and climb up to Kreuztal/Valcroce, it's one of my favourite climbs, regular and 21.1km at 7%.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
First ride on my new bike, a Rose pro cgf-3000, 75km with a few smaller climbs. It feels pretty good, a few things are a bit unusual, the drops on my old bike were a bit lower, but it's probably just a matter of getting used to it.
 
Climbed the Col de Chaussy via the Lacets de Montvernier today. Cloudy and rainy at the top and the descent was freezingly cold. But it was a fairly nice climb. As always the KM stones in France are a joke. This time exemplified by a KM stone showing 3% at a 8 or 9% kilometer :)
 
From mid August I rode my bike from Hamburg to Göteborg (Gothenburg) within 10 days.

For the job I chose my Cyclocross bike, attaching rear and front rack to it, all rather provisional than professional. I found some old panniers in my parents's garage, loaded the bike with camping equipment and went off for a more or less completely unplanned ride.. The first two days I headed towards Rostock, located at the Baltic sea, to take the ferry to Trelleborg at the southern coast of Sweden. Roughly following the western coast of the country, I passed Malmö, Helsingborg and Ängelholm. (I would like to suggest an obligatory visit for every planner of cycling infrastructure to Malmö, just for them to see how it's done!)
East of Helsingborg there is a slightly hilly, forested region with very little traffic which I found amazing to ride my bike through. In contrast to that, the fearsome Båstad climbs were a bit too steep to really enjoy it on a heavy touring bike (or I'm just not fit enough). In Båstad I came across the signs of the Kattegattleden for the first time, a bike touring path following the western coast of Sweden from Helsingborg to Göteborg. On the next days I took this path and it certainly was worth it as it approached the sea as often as possible and I really discovered some great beaches and little towns along the coast that way.
Following the coast you pass Halmstad, Falkenberg and Varberg. North of Halmstad the coast, which until then could also be located in Denmark, starts to become rockier with little bays with beaches interrupting.This landscape also makes for slightly more demanding riding, as you have to deal with very short but also very steep climbs. With the heavy bike I found it very difficult to carry momentum and I was certainly happy that I decided to carry my clipless pedals and shoes.
After 9 days I reached Göteborg which I would highly recommend to see for everyone.

Overall I cycled 700 km in 10 days, the daily distance hovering between 11 km and 95 km. The riding was mostly great, as on the roads I chose there was little traffic or bike paths. Topographically, the coast is mostly flat, but better don't underestimate those short steep ramps. The weather was as good as you can expect it to be in this part of the world with around 20 C and mostly sunny. The only rain I had to deal with fell at night when I was in my tent, so that wasn't a problem. The wind was mostly strong but I felt it was rather a west-south-wester that was helping most of the time.
Around half the camp spots were wild, just somewhere in the forest, the other half I stayed on official camp grounds.

All in all, if you are suffering the heat in the hight of summer in southern Europe or elsewhere and you are seeking some refreshment and see air and you want to ride your (touring) bike, this definitely is a cool place to do so ;)

I hope this somehow fits in here as it rather became a holiday report, but hey, I was riding my bicycle :D
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
@Sestriere: Sounds like you had a great time, props to you!
Today I did a 121km ride, first to Cortina, then further down the Valley and then Forcella Chiandolada/Rifugio Talamini from Vodo di Cadore and back home.
The climb to Rifugio Talamini is nasty, 5.6km at 13% with the first 3.6km at 15%, but the first part of the climb is irregular with a few 30% steep ramps, at times it feels like riding up a wall, really hard.
 
I'm still mot going for the big rides. Bad year between work and real life. Not in shape. Betancur :eek: . 64 km today, a back and forth ride, 1h19 on the way out, easy, 57 minutes on the 32 km back. Flat, little wind, I felt strong on the way back but slower than expected. I'm fat... :eek:
 
Jul 6, 2016
599
1
0
Did a great ride in the backyard of Philippe Gilbert last saturday. 210 km's through the Belgian Ardennes with three mates, one of them eventually returning after 80k, 4300 metres of elevation, think a (serious) climb or 25. Eleven and a half hours underway in total, of which a serious amount of time waiting for our third mate. Also the last couple of steep climbs and downhills were in the absolute dark (and us without any lights or something) which made it even more heroic.

Too bad I had pretty shitty legs and was suffering a bit of a cold. But it was great fun.
 
Did the same 110km 2,200m out-and-back I did last year around the same time. Again in preparation for some proper hills in the next few weeks, hoping I can sort out the logisitics better this time around. Fitness-wise I took ten minutes off my time on the 11km@6.1% kicker a the farthest end of the route, so my form seems to be rounding off as my shape is (perhaps optimistically) getting a little less round.
 
Re:

Pennino said:
Did a great ride in the backyard of Philippe Gilbert last saturday. 210 km's through the Belgian Ardennes with three mates, one of them eventually returning after 80k, 4300 metres of elevation, think a (serious) climb or 25. Eleven and a half hours underway in total, of which a serious amount of time waiting for our third mate. Also the last couple of steep climbs and downhills were in the absolute dark (and us without any lights or something) which made it even more heroic.

Too bad I had pretty ****** legs and was suffering a bit of a cold. But it was great fun.
Gilbert has a pretty huge backyard...
 
Jul 6, 2016
599
1
0
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
Pennino said:
Did a great ride in the backyard of Philippe Gilbert last saturday. 210 km's through the Belgian Ardennes with three mates, one of them eventually returning after 80k, 4300 metres of elevation, think a (serious) climb or 25. Eleven and a half hours underway in total, of which a serious amount of time waiting for our third mate. Also the last couple of steep climbs and downhills were in the absolute dark (and us without any lights or something) which made it even more heroic.

Too bad I had pretty ****** legs and was suffering a bit of a cold. But it was great fun.
Gilbert has a pretty huge backyard...
Pretty steep above all...
 
Jul 6, 2016
599
1
0
This morning a rainy and very windy 80 km ride on my usual roads along the coast in the Zandvoort area. Sentimental songs from Enrique Iglesias in my ears, obviously sporting my Tinkoff-Saxo 2015 kit. Thoughts exclusively with Alberto. Unlike for him, my legs didn't respond very well to my emotions.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
Cimabanche, Falzarego from Cortina and Pordoi, 79.5km and over 2,100m of altitude gain.
It was clouded, foggy and rather cool, 7°C down in Arabba, but i like climbing with that kind of weather, it's better than climbing in the heat.
Pordoi is a great climb, 33 hairpins in 9.4km is awesome at it's a stunning climb.
My dad picked me up on the Pordoi, he was on a, excursion with my grandmother, so I got back home just in time to watch Emilia. :D
 
Re:

Pennino said:
This morning a rainy and very windy 80 km ride on my usual roads along the coast in the Zandvoort area. Sentimental songs from Enrique Iglesias in my ears, obviously sporting my Tinkoff-Saxo 2015 kit. Thoughts exclusively with Alberto. Unlike for him, my legs didn't respond very well to my emotions.
Sorry to hear that. I guess it’s real hard to copy AC!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY