• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Jspear said:
Valv.Piti said:
On gravel, grass, mud, sand, single tracks, asphalt etc. around Aalborg. 105 km, what an epic ride, definitely coming back next year. Prob the most fun I have had on a bike

What type of bike and wheels were you using?
A mountainbike. No clue about the wheels, pretty heavy and bad, just the default wheels on a pretty cheap Specialized. :D Mainly just using my MTB to train in the winter.

Cool. Figured that couldn’t be on your road bike :)

Jspear said:
Valv.Piti said:
Jspear said:
Valv.Piti said:
On gravel, grass, mud, sand, single tracks, asphalt etc. around Aalborg. 105 km, what an epic ride, definitely coming back next year. Prob the most fun I have had on a bike

What type of bike and wheels were you using?
A mountainbike. No clue about the wheels, pretty heavy and bad, just the default wheels on a pretty cheap Specialized. :D Mainly just using my MTB to train in the winter.

Cool. Figured that couldn’t be on your road bike :)
Haha, nah. I wish I had a cross tho. Im a die hard roadie (only thing I care about is men's road cycling, couldn't care less about the other disciplines honestly) but I must say I got completely hooked today. The ooportunities to construct off-road routes on a MTB is pretty insane around here, I think we only did 20% on asphalt today, max.

Re:

Koronin said:
We (husband and I) did the annual Bike the Banks ride today. (Emerald Isle, North Carolina). There are 3 options 100 miles, 50 miles, or the fun 10 miles (or as far as you want to ride). We do the 10 mile one that is more like 15 to 20 miles as we always go father. I'm working on longer distances, but right now that's about the limit of what I can ride at a time. 2 years ago when we first rode it, 10 miles was the limit of what I could ride.
Nice, at one point you would probably be able to do around 50-70 km and maybe more. Cycling is the best form for exercise, no doubt!

Did 80 today in the sun in a relatively slow group ride, still hurt like hell on the inclines after yesterdays effort.

Did 75 km and 1500 m of climbing on my road bike around the Odenwald today. I was riding with a guy way faster than me and he really made me suffer on the false flat valley roads. When we were hitting the hills I hadn't really recovered, so I'm pretty tired now :D

So I did my first TT today, I borrowed my friends tri-bike with some nice wheels (no disc tho) and just went for it. The TT was 34 long and completely in 54 minutes, so around 38 km/ph. It was pretty demoralizing just getting overtaken by guys going at 44 km/ph on flat roads, I simply couldn't push harder than I did.

Fun experience. I like proper road racing better as I am much more of the explosive type on the hills around here (I dont have the highest FTP, but am very good at anerobic efforts at around 1-2 minutes, especially late on a ride/race) and like the tactics of that, but its interesting to try another discipline.

Did a ride a bit south of Aalborg with a friend of mine today. Really nice rider, a bit more than 1 hour and a half and a decently hard one, relatively hard tempo and intervals on the hills. Going to ride a decent amount with him (1-2 times a week) this winter to get the base going as we are planning to race competitively in the spring.

Last sunday, we also did the club championship. Attacked with 1 km to go on a hill and and got wheeled in with 200 metres to go. Im very explosive at hills around 30 sec - 2 min, but I just cant seem to hold that effort when I got the gap and a group is chasing. Gonna work on that during the winter

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Did a ride a bit south of Aalborg with a friend of mine today. Really nice rider, a bit more than 1 hour and a half and a decently hard one, relatively hard tempo and intervals on the hills. Going to ride a decent amount with him (1-2 times a week) this winter to get the base going as we are planning to race competitively in the spring.

Last sunday, we also did the club championship. Attacked with 1 km to go on a hill and and got wheeled in with 200 metres to go. Im very explosive at hills around 30 sec - 2 min, but I just cant seem to hold that effort when I got the gap and a group is chasing. Gonna work on that during the winter
Are you familar with Frydendal hill? I think it's almost identical to Hatta Dam. Really steep, but short enough to sprint all the way to the top.

I remember when I was there visiting my Danish cousin, we did a tiny circuit with it as the centerpiece. We also did a ride in the hilly Western part with a lot of mansions the next day.

Velolover2 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Are you familar with Frydendal hill? I think it's almost identical to Hatta Dam. Really steep, but short enough to sprint all the way to the top.

I remember when I was there visiting my Danish cousin, we did a tiny circuit with it as the centerpiece. We also did a ride in the hilly Western part with a lot of mansions the next day.
Yep, I'd say I do Frydendal 50% of the time when Im done with a ride. Not necessarily all out, just go get the last bit out of the legs. Usually go at a steady pace and climb it a couple of times. I live under 1 km from there, so..

Yeah, the hilly Western part is also pretty nice, but there is a bit traffic.

Did 80 today, totally spent, nice feeling as always

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Today I did the Gramartbode climb in Innsbruck, if you have the right gears and you're able to pace yourself on the first part of th climb you can gt over the really steep section, it's not that bad, 've done worse on other climbs.
If it's race and a team sets a hard pace on the early section of he climb, well that changes a lot and makes it really hard,

Hi, not sure if this is in the right section or not but, I've signed up for the Birmingham Velo 100 mile bike ride around my local area. I'm a semi regular rider but the most mileage I've done is 50. Thinking about the ride the other day when I just finished another 45 miler, my body said to me that "if I was gonna go and do the route I just did again, you can go and f**k yourself". I'm pretty much spent. Is there any tips to get over the mental side of doing the extra distance or is it a case of stop your bl***y whining and get on with it. I'm hoping to do it in about 6.5 to 7 hours, which isn't busting a gut, but fast enough for me. Thanks.

wheresmybrakes said:
Hi, not sure if this is in the right section or not but, I've signed up for the Birmingham Velo 100 mile bike ride around my local area. I'm a semi regular rider but the most mileage I've done is 50. Thinking about the ride the other day when I just finished another 45 miler, my body said to me that "if I was gonna go and do the route I just did again, you can go and f**k yourself". I'm pretty much spent. Is there any tips to get over the mental side of doing the extra distance or is it a case of stop your bl***y whining and get on with it. I'm hoping to do it in about 6.5 to 7 hours, which isn't busting a gut, but fast enough for me. Thanks.

If you can do 50 miles you can do 100. Mentally that extra digit can really get to people. The scenario you describe is very common among all riders, whether they can knock out 100+ mile rides every day or it's a once a season goal, and that is that when a ride is finished, it's finished. Your brain is telling you it's coming to an end as you see things that tell you you're close to home and you start to think about the warm shower and how much food you can now eat without feeling guilty. If you know the route you'll also pace yourself for the distance you're riding/training you are doing. Try extending your route by ten miles. You'll make it round fine and then feel the same at the end, but this time you've gone ten miles further.

Best advice for the actual ride is to go out and maintain an effort level that you are sure you can maintain for the ride. Don't blow yourself up chasing whippets up hills or fight to push 50/52/53x11 down the hills. Don;t chase wheels trying to get a draft, but putting yourself in the red doing it. Take advantage of the food stops to eat and drink but don't hang around for ages, getting cold and starting again isn't fun. Eat little and often. Digesting small amounts over time is better than a massive hit all at once. And enjoy it! Don't see it as something you're fighting to finish, it's something you want to do and have a great day doing it.

King Boonen said:
wheresmybrakes said:

If you can do 50 miles you can do 100. Mentally that extra digit can really get to people. The scenario you describe is very common among all riders, whether they can knock out 100+ mile rides every day or it's a once a season goal, and that is that when a ride is finished, it's finished. Your brain is telling you it's coming to an end as you see things that tell you you're close to home and you start to think about the warm shower and how much food you can now eat without feeling guilty. If you know the route you'll also pace yourself for the distance you're riding/training you are doing. Try extending your route by ten miles. You'll make it round fine and then feel the same at the end, but this time you've gone ten miles further.

Best advice for the actual ride is to go out and maintain an effort level that you are sure you can maintain for the ride. Don't blow yourself up chasing whippets up hills or fight to push 50/52/53x11 down the hills. Don;t chase wheels trying to get a draft, but putting yourself in the red doing it. Take advantage of the food stops to eat and drink but don't hang around for ages, getting cold and starting again isn't fun. Eat little and often. Digesting small amounts over time is better than a massive hit all at once. And enjoy it! Don't see it as something you're fighting to finish, it's something you want to do and have a great day doing it.

Great advice, thanks. I've been thinking about it more and decided to get at least 1 decent long ride in a week buy going 5 to 10 miles extra on top of a couple of short to middle ish rides. It is in may so have plenty of time but with the winter over the horizon, I'm not expecting to get out every week so am gonna invest in a turbo trainer. The wife has thrown a spanner in the works too.....she wants me to get the snip!!!!!!!! She can wait til after the ride!!!! :lol: :lol:

The biggest thing is pacing, pacing and pacing.

Every sportive/fondo/charity ride is packed with riders who start out charging like a bull at a gate. After an hour they’ll be breathing out of every orifice, and after 3 hours they’ll be struggling with anything larger than a speed hump.

The best way to prepare is to focus on 2-4 hour training rides first, with focus on time, not speed, then start adding speed gradually from around 5-6 weeks out.

Finally decided to do an actual training ride with one of my clubs. 34 kph average over about 34.5 km with a nice 25-45kph tailwind/headwind (we ride loops). Took the geared bike and enjoyed myself, hopefully give me a kick to get back into some proper training...

Obviously commuting is a daily experience and finally winding it up towards 20mph average after weeks of chest cough crap.

Did a 200 miler on Sunday setting off at 6.30am, heading about 50 miles north to Worcester, then veering nw to Shropshire just shy of Ludlow before deciding to get a bit of mountain action. Headed Wsw into wind for 50 miles to reach the Brecon Beacons. Rode around them and then through them to pick up river valley road from Talybont to Abergavenny with awesome tailwind. Then very familiar roads through Usk and over the Severn bridge at sunset. Then 30 miles of lanes in the dark.

All done with choons from the bone conducting headphones. Jazzy DnB from LTJ Bukem to start with, disco through the mountains, then into the darkness with deep house mix.

I commute 7 km each way every day to work. I ride with a powermeter and a couple of times a week I do intervals before or after work. Then I ride on the weekends usually one long ride on saturday. Commuting is the fastest way to get to work. Live in Sweden and we have terrible weather in the Winter so I have to ride the trainer with Zwift also to stay in decent shape.

Starting to up the mileage in my legs in preparation for the Velo Birmingham 100 miler. I've been getting in 50+ miles in recently but I've been having problems with my toes and feet getting numb. I've tried changing the saddle to a more narrower one and trying slightly different height positions to no avail, also the shoes are a half size too big which gives me plenty of room so it's not as though my feet are squashed in the shoes. Has anyone else come across this problem before? It normally starts to get numb after about 30 miles or so which means every now and then I have to either unclip a foot at a time and wiggle my leg to get some of the blood flow going or stop and walk around for a minute or so. Any advice would be great.

Went to Rebild and did the most hilly loop imaginable with 2 muritos and Rebild Bakke (1 km, 7%). That wasn't the hard part tho, I was alone and ended up riding 105 km with headwind for the last 30 km. I was completely empty in the end since I also was sick the last week, but it was great feeling alive again.

TRENDING THREADS