• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If you've had so much to drink your legs are speaking to you, then you probably shouldn't be riding.

Anyway, I mentioned in my previous post, I rode back home. Made a wrong turn - or rather forgot to turn - at an intersection, so took a slight detour... nothing bad though. :p

Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
King Boonen said:
The 300km is on, my legs will just have to deal with it and not talk to me for a couple of days afterwards :D
You might want to leave the fixed wheel at home for that one! :lol:

Even when I was racing my PB was 170kms with a single gear.

I think 200km is my biggest ride on a fixed gear, was an 81". I also did the Mar Cavendish Sportive on a fixed gear both years it was run (120km the first year as I'd just cut the end off my finger and had surgery and 165km the second year).

If I was going on my own or with slower people I might have considered riding fixed but not with the people I'll be riding with!

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
80 km, 800 elevation gain, thats probably my record in DK in terms of elevation gain. 25 celsius and literally no clouds is life.
For Danish conditions, that's a lot of elevation gain for a relatively short distance! I think I might have managed 1100 once on a 100km ride, but that was in the hilly area of Søhøjlandet (Sorry for the names, all non-danes :) )
I was on the bike yesterday aswell, in the hills of Mols. Great weather!

3 hours on the MTB this morning with some old friends. I was the only one not on a dual suspension and I'm easily the fittest. I may have left a few of them stopping for a puke break going up some of the firetrails between tracks :D

They got me back by going down a few black trails towards the end though :eek:

There were a few hairy moments!!!

Re:

King Boonen said:
In the end we did 280km and about 3700m climbing I think. We had to divert a bit as we got caught in the middle of a thunderstorm at Moffat. Brilliant day on the bike, my legs emptied themselves about 3-4 times :)
cracking ride you did, did your Garmin die on you? seen you had to go old school and use the iPhone

Re: Re:

rick james said:
King Boonen said:
In the end we did 280km and about 3700m climbing I think. We had to divert a bit as we got caught in the middle of a thunderstorm at Moffat. Brilliant day on the bike, my legs emptied themselves about 3-4 times :)
cracking ride you did, did your Garmin die on you? seen you had to go old school and use the iPhone
Yeah, forgot to turn distance and time alerts off and the backlight came on every time it went off, think it drained the battery a bit. Having HR, cadence and sipped sensors on probably didn't help either, especially as I didn't even use the numbers on the ride!

Was a brilliant route, even though we cut out Talla. That climb just before Ae forest was brilliant.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
75km ride with Kreuzbergpass/Passo Monte Croce from Innichen/San Candido, Passo di San Antonio from Santo stefano di Cadore, descent down to Padola, the 2nd half of the other side of Passo Monte Croce and back home.
The funny thing is that I struggled the most on the first and probably easiest climb of the day, but that was because of the heat, really exposed to the sunshine, not much shelter and freshly asphalted for the Giro.
I had good legs on the Passo di San Antonio and was able to ride a decent tempo on the steep section, but that was in the middle of the woods and the sun was covered by clouds, so the heat wasn't a problem.

So Im going to lake Como, Varenna, a town on the east side of the lake. Im currently exploring possible routes from Verenna and Im getting incredible excited, so just wanted you to know. Reason I write here is also for possible suggestions:

- First of I have to go around the whole lake Como. Its 160 km long, thats a lot, but not a lot of elevation which makes up for the length. I hope it will we an awesome route to see the whole lake.

- Take the ferry from Verenna to Bellagio (not long at all) where you can climb the legendary Ghisallo from Bellagio and see the cycling museum. Possibly tackle the Sormano, but not from the steep side.

- A flat ride to Morbegno from Varenna and then tackle the hardest climb of Lombardia, I think (?) Passo San Marco from the long side. The one they climbed in 2007, its pretty much the same route. Descend and go back to Varenna.
https://www.cyclingcols.com/col/SanMarco

We also have this monster just outside the door, I'll try to climb it as fast as I can the first day and the last day to track progression: https://www.cyclingcols.com/col/Moncodeno

As I said, very open for suggestions. I got to go on these 3 rides, but rides that include the climbs just around Varenna would also be appreciated. I have Strava available so couldn't be better.

Valv.Piti said:
- Take the ferry from Verenna to Bellagio (not long at all) where you can climb the legendary Ghisallo from Bellagio and see the cycling museum. Possibly tackle the Sormano, but not from the steep side.
I've only spent a couple of days cycling here, but would definitely recommend doing Muro di Sormano from the proper (steep :) ) side. The way they cycle in Lombardia is completely closed to cars (which there are a lot of around Como!), and it's only like 1.4km so you can always walk a bit if you have to.

It's part of cycling history after all, and has loads of stuff written on the road, including the altitude at 1m intervals. Which can be motivational or not I guess. And the top of Muro di Sormano is the top of the main road climb as well, so you get a nice long descent from there back to the lake.

Also, if you have a car, it's only a 90 minute drive to Mortirolo/Gavia :D

Re:

King Boonen said:
Sounds awesome. Is there any reason you're not planning on just riding round to the Ghisallo? It's only 50km or so from Varenna.
No you can definitely do that, but Im also going around Como and as far as I know, its pretty traficated going along the coast so I figured it would make more sense to take the ferry, tackle a few climbs on the south side, and take the ferry home

DFA: Yes, probably, but Im a little scared of that honestly. But I probably gonna do it. My brother gonna smash me on those gradients tho, being 25 kg lighter and all (the guy is a skeleton at 50 kg, is a bit on the young side tho).

Re:

King Boonen said:
245km distance and 4150m climbed in what was basically November conditions in the West of Scotland. Driving headwinds, constant rain, I was in full winter kit for over half of the ride.
Chapeau. What a beast. I did a sixth and a fourth of that, respectively, in somewhat similar conditions but with only a rain cape, and I skipped my recovery ride this morning because I was feeling a bit Luis Angel Mate when I woke up / came back to life.

Re:

King Boonen said:
245km distance and 4150m climbed in what was basically November conditions in the West of Scotland. Driving headwinds, constant rain, I was in full winter kit for over half of the ride.
The route looked amazing, seen your Instagram posts and it looked wet in places...a fine Scottish summer day :lol:

TRENDING THREADS