• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I did a great lap around Cortina yesterday.
Giau from Cortina-down the other side-Colle Santa Lucia-up the Falzarego and back down to Cortina.
Only 63.8km but 2,000m of altitude gain.
The top of the Giau yesterday:
103964771_1889615151174022_3574480790881376929_n.jpg

I love the Giau descent down to towards Selva di Cadore, my favourite descent ever. 29 hairpins, great asphalt, almost no potholes and the traffic wasn't bad at all.

I did a great lap around Cortina yesterday.
Giau from Cortina-down the other side-Colle Santa Lucia-up the Falzarego and back down to Cortina.
Only 63.8km but 2,000m of altitude gain.
The top of the Giau yesterday:
103964771_1889615151174022_3574480790881376929_n.jpg

I love the Giau descent down to towards Selva di Cadore, my favourite descent ever. 29 hairpins, great asphalt, almost no potholes and the traffic wasn't bad at all.
When you post these images of the Dolomites I envy you for your local roads. With my current shape I would probably just die but the view would be nice at least.
Haven't been able to ride as much this year so far. Today was one of the first longer rides of the season with 110 km, 700 m of climbing. So mostly flat but more like constant little rises. Was dead by the end and only managed a rather depressing 27 km/h average, but given that I've only cycled little more than 1000 km this year so far not very surprising.

When you post these images of the Dolomites I envy you for your local roads. With my current shape I would probably just die but the view would be nice at least.
Haven't been able to ride as much this year so far. Today was one of the first longer rides of the season with 110 km, 700 m of climbing. So mostly flat but more like constant little rises. Was dead by the end and only managed a rather depressing 27 km/h average, but given that I've only cycled little more than 1000 km this year so far not very surprising.
I still haven't reached the 1000km this year because of the quarantine, but my base level is good (XC Skiing durning the winter does wonders for me).
I have at least 2 climbs that I've never done before on my list for the summer, the Kaunertaler Gletscherstraße and the Penser Joch/Passo di Pennes from the harder side.

An over 101km long lap around my hometown with passo monte croce comelico/kreuzberpass, passo di san antonio from the Danta side, up to Misurina from Auronzo and back home.
Probably not the smartest thing to do after working on the fields in the heat durning the last 2 days, but I was fine and my legs were ok, not great but solid.

Went on a cross Germany tour with my gravel bike for the last week. Very enjoyable riding with a good mix of asphalt and gravel. I rode between 60 and 110 km a day. Also cycled up the Brocken in the Harz, northern Germany's highest peak in 8 degrees and rain with full luggage. Unfortunately my trip was cut short because the chain snapped, got caught in the derailleur and ripped it straight off.

Went on a cross Germany tour with my gravel bike for the last week. Very enjoyable riding with a good mix of asphalt and gravel. I rode between 60 and 110 km a day. Also cycled up the Brocken in the Harz, northern Germany's highest peak in 8 degrees and rain with full luggage. Unfortunately my trip was cut short because the chain snapped, got caught in the derailleur and ripped it straight off.

Why did you not say something, I could have joined you. ;)

I was on holiday in Valle d'Aosta, Corsica and finally the Ariège department (southern France) and did some short trips in the first two regions, but a nice long tour together with my wife in the Ariège because my parents joined us there and thus could take care of the children. The tour was from Bélesta, about 110 km and 2700 m of climbing. The Port de Pailhères was more or less in the middle, 1250 m of climbing (we started at around 740 m), and it was a bit of a beast (several kilometers in a row of >9%), especially as it was hot with rocks reflecting the sun. I guess I wasn't able to keep fully hydrated, because on the next col (Col du Chioula) I was feeling sick and drained of energy. I was sweating pretty hard the whole time, with a drenched shirt and sweat constantly dripping down. Anyway, quite an experience. Too bad I live in a very flat region (Scheldeprijs...).

PailheresE.gif

Mrs 42x16ss and I did the Pailheres last year, a stunning and underrated climb.
East side or West side? Both are tough, but the West side is less pretty I think, and the last few kms steep without any hairpins (which makes for proper suffering as hairpins provide some sort of mental relief imo). i can also recommend a hike that starts more or less from the col towards some lakes, in case you're revisiting someday (also for Sestriere).

East side or West side? Both are tough, but the West side is less pretty I think, and the last few kms steep without any hairpins (which makes for proper suffering as hairpins provide some sort of mental relief imo). i can also recommend a hike that starts more or less from the col towards some lakes, in case you're revisiting someday (also for Sestriere).
We rode the Western side, after doing Ax3 Domanes, but drove the Eastern side a few days later. You're splitting hairs IMO, as the Western side is stunning once you get to the lake, but the treeline is a little lower on the Eastern side and those hairpins...

Today I did a 91km ride with Misurina from Toblach, Passo di San Antonio from Auronzo (the hard side that broke Aru in the Giro) and Passo Monte Croce from Padola before returning home. San Antonio is really exposed to the sun, today it was a bit cooler and windy, but in the afternoon heat the steep part (5km at 9.8%) can be nasty.

Reactions: Red Rick
I got into cycling again like a week ago. Prior to that, the last time I did a proper ride was probably autumn of 2019. That year was my La Marmotte-year, so maybe I got a bit burned out, but I also started to focus on a lot of other things in 2020-2021.

I am back now though, and its great! Im just doing a couple of 1 hour rides at the moment and trying to hit that magical 30 km/hour which isnt easy after 2 and 1/2 years. I dont feel like Im going that fast (Im prolly not), but my heart rate suggests otherwise. A couple of weeks and I should be able to to some good grouprides of 100 km on sundays since Im improving pretty rapidly right now after such a long lay-off.

Rides are mainly flat and somewhat windy here around Aalborg i Denmark, but theres lot of opportunities to go on some hilly rides - you just need to go a bit longer, and right now, I dont really wanna do that.

Reactions: Sestriere
I've been working on the fields all weekend, so I took today off and climbed Kühtai from Kematen. It's a big climb, 1,400m of altitude gain on a single climb.
KuhtaiE.gif

Despite it being so long it is and irregular one with steep ramps and flatter parts. In Innsbruck I only have an older bike that lacks my usual granny gears, so the steep Kreuzlehn Stich, 1km at 12.9% with a max gradient of 20%, was a bit of a grind that killed my legs. The fact that there isn't a single real hairpin on the whole climb also doesn't help. I usually dislike those irregular climbs, if I have to climb them fast I suffer like a dog. Give me something that is always steep like the Giau and I can find my rhythm and just dig deep and I'll take it over an irregular climb in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Today I climbed the Penser Joch from the hard side, after the false flat at the start it's 13.5 kms at 8.9%
PennesN.gif

At least I was early when it was still cool in the valley. The 2nd part of the climb is really exposed to the sun, brutal to ride in the afternoon. Also only 4 hairpins on the whole climb.

today I climber Kühtai via the Silzer Sattel. If you see it as one climb it's 19.2km at 7.7%, with a short descent. My bike in Innsbruck is a bit older and "only" has a 28 in the back (still managed to climb the final climb of the Innsbruck WC with it, but it wasn't easy, to say the least), so the multiple kms around 12% on the Silzer Satter ruined my legs because I had to grind a bigger gear.

Rode from Ocean Beach to the smoke stacks right outside Carlsbad and back.. Flat almost all..ride highlight.. Finding a credit card size wallet.. Driver's license, credit and debit card, $40 bucks.. Found it in a super duper over the top high traffic area of Mission Beach..laying right in the street.. Girl born in 2000!!!!!Googled the address..18 miles in the car later..gave my find to her very grateful mom!! Then to make the day perfect!! Went to San Diego Chicken Pie Shop restaurant and got a double pie dinner.. a piece of pie comes with the meal.. Coconut cream was my choice.. Everything delicious..