• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The worst rider to ever win a Monument in modern times.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm bored, so I'm making this thread to see what obscure riders people can bring up here. I'll give you a bit of freedom on how to interpret modern cycling, so there's no exact cut-off point.

I'm struggling between Oliver Zaugg and Matthew Goss. Matthew Goss has a decent amount of wins, but he's one of the worst riders who are still on contract. One of the worst regressions I've ever seen, and that includes Gilbert's 2012. Oliver Zaugg on the other hand only had one win in his career: the Giro di Lombardia, but at least he can finish a Monument these days. Can't say that about Gossie. The fat ***. :lol:

Zaugg only has two other results worth mentioning: his 11th place in the Vuelta of 2008 and his 8th place in Lombardia the year after he won it. Gossie placed 15th in Milan-San Remo 2012.

They both got their biggest success in 2011 (as did Gilbert actually). The funny part is I predicted that Goss would never win a decent race again (ok, he still won that Giro stage) after that Milan-San Remo. I heard from a good source he liked to party hard. I even mock him in my signature, which I've had since 2011.

Can any of you come up with better laughing stock?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Have to say you're being quite harsh on Goss tho. He was decent before his MSR win, and he wasn't far away from the rainbow stripes later that year either

I am, I'm just mocking him really. What a waste of talent. That's worse than not having the talent, really. But Zaugg, I still don't know how he did it.

Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
PremierAndrew said:
Have to say you're being quite harsh on Goss tho. He was decent before his MSR win, and he wasn't far away from the rainbow stripes later that year either

I am, I'm just mocking him really. What a waste of talent. That's worse than not having the talent, really. But Zaugg, I still don't know how he did it.

Weird to think that Andy Schleck and Goss are both younger than Froome

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
El Pistolero said:
PremierAndrew said:

Weird to think that Andy Schleck and Goss are both younger than Froome

Especially Andy boggles the mind. Andy is another case of plenty of talent, but not enough willpower to work hard throughout the year for his goals. To be fair, I wouldn't have the willpower either to be a good pro cyclist, but then again, I don't have the talent either.

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Did Goss just lost all his motivation or whats wrong with him? He always talks himself up in the offseason, that he would comeback strong this year n stuff but nothing happening apart from a 9th place in langkawi on a random stage, good on him

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
if you define "worst rider" by flash-in-the-pan then there are a few in the 21st century:

Gerald Ciolek (MSR 2013), Arnaud Démare (MSR 2016), Matt Hayman (P-R 2016), Maxim Iglinsky (LBL 2012), Nick Nuyens (RvV 2011), Johan Van Summeren (P-R 2011), Steffen Wesemann (RvV 2004), Oliver Zaugg (GdL 2011)

so that makes 8 riders over a span of 75 races .... so actually the conclusion is, a Monument is usually won by a rider of some severity, maybe not always the best rider (otherwise Peter Sagan would have half a dozen of Monument wins in his palmarès by now), but a no-name being a big exception ...

Re:

loge1884 said:
Gerald Ciolek (MSR 2013), Arnaud Démare (MSR 2016), Matt Hayman (P-R 2016), Maxim Iglinsky (LBL 2012), Nick Nuyens (RvV 2011), Johan Van Summeren (P-R 2011), Steffen Wesemann (RvV 2004), Oliver Zaugg (GdL 2011)

Ranked by the best season (cq) they had before their win, the worst is:

Zaugg 312 followed by Hayman 397 and Van Summeren 402 and to be fair, this seems like a good ranking, none of the three was ever considered world class or a star.

Iglinsky 595, Wesemann 642, Ciolek 753 and Nuyens 763 could be considered as follow up riders of the top Tier.

And to be honest, Demare shouldn't be on this list ;) 1501.

Devolder, Ciolek, Nuyens and Zaugg come to mind. But like someone stated before, Zaugg truly earned his victory, he just looks a bit off in a list of monument winners.

In a way Hayman as well, but his victory was awesome so I'll give him a pass.

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

El Pistolero said:
To be fair, I wouldn't have the willpower either to be a good pro cyclist, but then again, I don't have the talent either.
Do you have a bicycle? :)

I am stunned to realise how young Andy Schleck is. What happened man, what happened?

Poels a 'worst rider' though?? I should be so worst.

TRENDING THREADS