• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Theo Bos

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Bos just beat Cavendish.

But the sprint was not perfectly head to head, Cav started a little later, and from behind.

Will Bos be a threat to Cav over the next 5 years? No one else can match his speed over the last 300 metres, cept maybe Chicchi and Greipel.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
Bos just beat Cavendish.

But the sprint was not perfectly head to head, Cav started a little later, and from behind.

Will Bos be a threat to Cav over the next 5 years? No one else can match his speed over the last 300 metres, cept maybe Chicchi and Greipel.

Cavendish isn't in form yet, that's all it means.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I appreciate that, he lost to Farrar last year in Tirreno whilst Cav was half a pint down before San Remo.

But Bos has not scratched the surface.

I thought there was no way Bos could ever be the fastest in the peloton over 250km. Like Cav could never set the WR in the flying 200, even on the Moscow track, and a Chris Hoy gym and power program.

Even if Bos slimmed down, and did EVERYTHING to be an endurance sprinter, I did not think he could compete with Cav over the last 200 metres from 249.8 km to the finish at 250km.

I may have to reassess in the next 18 months.

Hushovd, Haussler, Bos. Is stacked with sprinters.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes a threat, but i reckon Haussler, Hagen are bigger threats.

good win for him though, but Cav should be satisfied he got up there considering his lack of condition/races. Maybe Bos should train with Chris Hoy and spend most of the time getting battered, probably improve though.

sublimit said:
Maybe Bos should train with Chris Hoy and spend most of the time getting battered, probably improve though.
Train with Hoy? Bos was always rather lean for a track sprinter, but he's had to work to lose muscle rather than gain it. Training with Hoy wouldn't do him much good in that respect. For most of his track career he was faster than Hoy, by the way.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ibanez said:
For a long time, yes.

Bos was a much better sprinter than Hoy. Hoy was a late developer, and an accumulation of exogenous androgens. Bos was a young World Champ, and has the WR in the flying 200 from that cliff bank in Moscow. The johnny come lately only knows of Sir Chris Hoy and his keirin and sprint wins. Without the UCI taking the cash from Japanese cycling, Hoy may not even have his sprint win from Beijing, as he was crowded out without the keirin. Albeit, Hoy was a classy rider in the kilo. And alot of credit to him to make the cross and win the double gold in Beijing.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
Not to take anything from Bos, but Cavendish has no threat right now. When he's in top form, nobody comes close to matching his top end speed.
and Cav can go loooong, and has that umatched aero tuck, so no one can come out of his wheel and beat him.

but lets wait and see how Bos will be. He might be able to match Cav's terminal velocity, or exceed it. Scarey proposition.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Jakob747 said:
Jacopo Guarnieri has established himself as a consistent world-class sprinter in 18months time.
yes, Guanieri will be a great promenade sprinter, like Cipollini and Boonen was/were. That is my information from an elite scout.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
When Cav is in top condition or at least around 80% he's almost unbeateble but Bos is coming up very well and we donno yet his limits.

I admire Cav but its nice to see some other sprinters like Bos making things much more interesting.

ImmaculateKadence said:
Not to take anything from Bos, but Cavendish has no threat right now. When he's in top form, nobody comes close to matching his top end speed.

Agreed.

Remember, Farrar beat an in-form Cav and no one was starting threads talking about Farrar being on the level of Cav.

I say wait untill Cavendish is on form and see how these two battle it out in the GT's. I somehow doubt that Bos is going to be anywhere close to as good as Cav but we shall see.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Lets not forget also that Cav has had very bad dental problems. I know to my cost just how big an impact that can have on general condition. Good luck to Bos though. It isn't good for the sport if sprinting becomes a one-man show.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Bos has beaten Cav in one race, Cav has lost 2 sprints. If this is a recurring theme come August this year, we could agree that Bos is better. At the moment, it means nothing.

And Hoy is a better track rider than Bos, he adapted from the kilo (olympic champ) to sprinter with style and panache

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Train with Hoy? Bos was always rather lean for a track sprinter, but he's had to work to lose muscle rather than gain it. Training with Hoy wouldn't do him much good in that respect. For most of his track career he was faster than Hoy, by the way.

Ok so the main barrier to Hoy becoming a filed sprinter (aside from age) is the fact he is a near 14 stone / 200lb / 93kg beast would wouldn't have the full endurance to get to the finish over the slightest of hills. So why is someone like Jason Kenny who is both young and light for a track sprinter looking more a doing a theo bos and moving to road? There would certainly be more money in it...

May 6, 2009
Visit site
What can we expect from Bos if the stage/race finish is flat, allowing for a bunch sprint, but the course is undulating? Would Bos survive or get dropped on a speed hump?

TRENDING THREADS