• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
Chaves has shown nothing so far this season that justifies to consider him a contender at the Giro!
Yes, but when has he actually done anything before doing well in a gt?
He's always training in Colombia for a very long time before riding a gt and usually he truns up in great shape.
2015: No racing between Tour de Suisse and the Vuelta and he was fine.
2016: Only did a mediocre Catalunya, then no raacing for around 35 days before the Giro and only the Olympics before getting a podium in the Vuelta.
Last year was plagued with injuries and this year he had a few problems since the 2nd half of Paris-Nice, but he's usually someone who has a longg break with zero racing before doing well in a gt.

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
LaFlorecita said:
I've thought since the start of the year il Giro will be fought between Tibopino and Superman. Hoping for Tibo as I think Superman will get plenty more opportunities.
Dumo and Froome haven't got a chance in hell ;)
Don't forget about Chavito, he's doing his usual slow built up before a gt, but he could surprise people.

He would have to repeat his 2016 form re Giro/Vuelta to have any chance of a podium. Would like to see him back in form and in the mix with other contenders.

On topic, please :).

For the Giro, Thibaut scouted the ITT on Sunday, but I saw no such scouting for the TdF. It says a lot - Stava. The ITT at Il Giro will be HUGE. Pinot can take time on anyone not named Dumoulin or Froome. SkyBot is right: one of these two, maybe both can do him. . Aru, the Black Album, many posts, we'll see if he's better than Tibopino.

Thibaut is a great rider. I don't want to jinx him, I have him second at the Giro and may lose the Predictions contest (I'm the defending Champion :cool: ) because of it. Whatever happens will happen, but Tibopino will put up a heck of a fight. That's all that you can wish for your favorite rider.

Cheers my friends :) .

PS: today, "second place (is) was not good" . The Great Thibaut Pinot.

Good guys can win.

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
staubsauger said:
Chaves has shown nothing so far this season that justifies to consider him a contender at the Giro!
Yes, indeed, probably behind Aru, or some of other (?) contenders like Zakarin or Kruijswijk.
Zakarin and Kruijswijk won't ride the Giro.
Aru doesn't have the consistency over three weeks to be a podium contender and doesn't seem in good form, yesterday we have already seen his typical dislocaded jaw like face.

Anyway Lopez was very good yesterday, could be him the most serious contender of Pinot for the third place.

Nirvana said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
staubsauger said:
Yes, indeed, probably behind Aru, or some of other (?) contenders like Zakarin or Kruijswijk.
Zakarin and Kruijswijk won't ride the Giro.
Aru doesn't have the consistency over three weeks to be a podium contender and doesn't seem in good form, yesterday we have already seen his typical dislocaded jaw like face.

Anyway Lopez was very good yesterday, could be him the most serious contender of Pinot for the third place.

I would probably have Pinot ahead of Lopez. Not sure if Lopez can hold it together for three weeks.

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Superb ride today. Love when he goes for it and want to win with panache. On the other hand, I am afraid that if the situation is the same during the Giro, he will be satisfied with a podium place...

http://www.equipecycliste-groupama-fdj.fr/fr/actualites/thibaut-pinot-il-me-tarde-d-etre-au-giro/

A little interview on the official FDJ website. I'm not going to translate the whole thing ( sorry :eek:) but we can learn that he said that he beats some records during the prep stage before the Tour of the Alps.

Giro will be interesting !

Chrispol said:
Superb ride today. Love when he goes for it and want to win with panache. On the other hand, I am afraid that if the situation is the same during the Giro, he will be satisfied with a podium place...

http://www.equipecycliste-groupama-fdj.fr/fr/actualites/thibaut-pinot-il-me-tarde-d-etre-au-giro/

A little interview on the official FDJ website. I'm not going to translate the whole thing ( sorry :eek:) but we can learn that he said that he beats some records during the prep stage before the Tour of the Alps.

Giro will be interesting !
Some interesting stuff in this interview, but I missed the Strava ride on Etna obviously. I can't find it. Last year, I had the same conflicts: reports of a Tibopino ride, no Strava. Keeping it close to the vest, it seems :cool: .

In this interview, he's happy for O'Connor who raced smart, aggressive, and contributed to the breakaway. Class act. Thibaut sees Friday as a tough day, where things will be decided. For what it's worth, he comes across as confident, not cocky, definitely he is more mature than he was a couple of years ago. Really more confident.

Reviewing the tape, the descending was sketchy at best, he's still inconsistent there. His detractors were quick to pounce on him :D . My, my, my: if a miracle happens in May, I will rub it in their face so much. It would be so sweet ;) .

Anyway, he's a god guy and he looks really good at the moment. What a breath of fresh air. Whatever happens, after his '17 comeback in GT discussions, I feel that the '18 campaign will be really good. Tibopino is now entering his prime...