• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 76 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tonton said:
memyselfandI said:
Tibopino at the team Sky as a superdomestique/road captain for Froome or Thomas would be excellent position for him as it would take certain type of high pressure off yet keeping certain type of high pressure on. He could learn a lot.
Learn what? How to improve his immune system? What a joke of a post. "certain" of what? Sky has nothing to offer. Marginal gains...thanks but no thanks.

Outside the clinic stuff there's a lot for him to learn. Show me last time his team was tactically in a situation, in GT's, like Sky, to stranglehold the hole peloton and actually hold it. On uphill, downhill, flats, wet, sidewind, cobbles, gravel. You need 'quite a bit' to hold it. Actually it's so hard task that if you do it, you get better. It's mentally two different tasks to sit on a second row and wait or sit in front of everyone and decide no one leaves this peloton as long as I'm here. And to keep his captain in game, who in this case would be a true contender of the game, he would dig so much deeper that it certainly could make him stronger than he is now.

Re:

Red Rick said:
What need would Sky have for Pinot?

Can they really pay him more to have him 5th or so in the pecking order than FDJ can to lead the Tour?

:lol:

I think they 'can'... maybe they just can afford it. But why should they? I wouldn't if I was SDB. He's not winner by far atm. 5th in pecking order would be just fine for the start, so back seat behind DS in team car #2 :D

When was FDJ any slightest sort of major contender team for GC in a GT, never fcs? If they were, the build of the team would be completely different, made gc performance wise, not tricolor wise, nor sprint stage wise. FDJ is not a team that can bring peloton to a certain point in a certain form to get a result that it needs. FDJ tries to survive in that situation. And they don't challenge the TTT. Potential GC team is powerful enough to crank the whole peloton. Tibopino is not in that sort of team. But he should, there is not much physically for him to do but mentally. To know that today we turn everybody upside down and actually do it. It's not possible in FDJ, not been for years, well maybe in second tier races, but not in A races.

2 more yrs. Arrivederci...

...and now 11 down, 9 or 10 to go. An unlucky time loss is making the picture very clear: Thibaut has to gain time, conservative riding is not an option. The weather is less hot, hopefully he's not too depleted, the toughest is yet to come.

Gutsy move today, and let's be real: at this stage, not all 15 in front of him will have bad luck. Tibopino has to gamble, attack. Today was a good day to try something, the reward was small...but it's something. You don't get the prom Queen if you don't ask her out to begin with.

He and Yates deserve some good fortune in this Vuelta. Fingers crossed...

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Pinot is a warrior.

Yes, he is.

Pinot: "I don't regret anything"
13:56
Thibaut Pinot (Groupama-FDJ) went on the offensive on stage 11 but only gained 12'' after spending a lot of energy at the front: “I obviously feel a bit tired this morning. It’s normal after yesterday’s efforts but there’s another hard day today. I hope to have recovered enough to do good. Yesterday was tiring and not for much in the end. I don’t regret anything. It was a good stage for me, I enjoyed myself. I needed it. It had been 10 days in La Vuelta and I was following in the wheels, waiting. It started to feel long. I needed to go out a bit. And I had good sensations, that’s the most important.”

Anyway despite today is bad weather and he is much better this way than with hot weather, if someone on GC attack at the end he has some options to lose more time.

El Tibopino, el matador, well...tomorrow is huge. Many will lose time. He can't be one of them. The final climb is ferocious, but smaller gradients first, which should suit him. He has to work his way into the top-5 when the week-end is over. Otherwise, podium hopes will be out of his control.

Vamos Tibo!

Re:

LeChuck said:
Good showing today. Riding his own pace at first, almost yo-yo style, but nice acceleration at the end. Form is good!
Compared to the riders who were ahead of him before the stage:

Quintana -17"
Yates -11"
Mas -8"
Tibopino y Don Alejandro st
MAL +3"
Wilco, Uran, DLCruz and SK +8"
Gallopin +23"
Izaguirre +25"
Buchmann +30"
Aru +37"
Kwiat +59"
Bennett +1'13"
Herrada +1'29"
Woods +1'36"

...not too bad.But in order to podium or even top-5, it won't be enough...Pinot needs (at least) one big chunk...and a good ITT. (fingers crossed).

Re: Re:

Tonton said:
LeChuck said:
Good showing today. Riding his own pace at first, almost yo-yo style, but nice acceleration at the end. Form is good!
Compared to the riders who were ahead of him before the stage:

Quintana -17"
Yates -11"
Mas -8"
Tibopino y Don Alejandro st
MAL +3"
Wilco, Uran, DLCruz and SK +8"
Gallopin +23"
Izaguirre +25"
Buchmann +30"
Aru +37"
Kwiat +59"
Bennett +1'13"
Herrada +1'29"
Woods +1'36"

...not too bad.But in order to podium or even top-5, it won't be enough...Pinot needs (at least) one big chunk...and a good ITT. (fingers crossed).

I hope he does a good ITT. If he does the ONLY GC guys who are/can do better ITTs than him are Valverde, Uran, Kelderman and Izagirre. Uran and Izagirre are both very inconsistent (as is Pinot) and with Valverde it will depend on how he wants to attack it.

But realistically, how far can he climb in the overall? He's probably not going past any in the top 5, and a top 10 position is not what he came for. With the climbing he's showing, he could easily win a mountain stage from the break, but he's not allowed into any breaks.

That stupid time loss on stage 6 has put Pinot in a very bad spot to be in.

Stage 14 gaps, same riders:

Yates -5"/-15" (w/time bonus)
MAL -3"/-9" (w/time bonus)
The Don -3"/-7" (w/time bonus)
Tibopino
Quintana +2"
SK +6"
Mas +14"
Uran +22"
Izaguirre +32"
Aru +34"
Tony The Tiger Gallopin +44"
Buchmann +50"
Wilco +57"
Woods +2'45"
DLCruz +4'50"
Kwiat +5'55" - what a gutsy rider.
Bennett +7'37"
Herrada +9'11"

Not too bad again...still a big mountain to climb (no pun intended :) ).

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
But realistically, how far can he climb in the overall? He's probably not going past any in the top 5, and a top 10 position is not what he came for. With the climbing he's showing, he could easily win a mountain stage from the break, but he's not allowed into any breaks.

That stupid time loss on stage 6 has put Pinot in a very bad spot to be in.

It's often the way with Pinot, it comes down to one bad stage and then you have the TT........be interesting to see how he goes in the next one as this type of TT used to suit him.