• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 25, 2016
583
0
3,580
One thing is certain, he has monster form and a better punch than Bardet. I also thought they should've picked him as the co-leader. Considering Bardet came close second, who knows.
 
Re:

Krokro said:
One thing is certain, he has monster form and a better punch than Bardet. I also thought they should've picked him as the co-leader. Considering Bardet came close second, who knows.
But he did set the pace on the final climb and it's not that drafting meant much on those percentages. Yet, Bardet was in no trouble following Pinots pace as he even attacked later. I fail to see how Pinot was the stronger rider that day. Unless ofcourse I'm forgetting some crucial point where Pinot spent unnecessary powers that cost him the chance to stay with the best after he'd reeled in Valgren on Gramartboden? To be honest I just think Pinots shape has gone up since the WC
 
Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Krokro said:
One thing is certain, he has monster form and a better punch than Bardet. I also thought they should've picked him as the co-leader. Considering Bardet came close second, who knows.
But he did set the pace on the final climb and it's not that drafting meant much on those percentages. Yet, Bardet was in no trouble following Pinots pace as he even attacked later. I fail to see how Pinot was the stronger rider that day. Unless ofcourse I'm forgetting some crucial point where Pinot spent unnecessary powers that cost him the chance to stay with the best after he'd reeled in Valgren on Gramartboden? To be honest I just think Pinots shape has gone up since the WC
Wasn't he part of some of the attacks on the last couple or laps or is that just something I've read? I honestly don't remember it very well as nothing stuck for more than a few minutes.

Also, his shape was already great in the Vuelta where he won a couple of stages in the final week.
 
Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Krokro said:
One thing is certain, he has monster form and a better punch than Bardet. I also thought they should've picked him as the co-leader. Considering Bardet came close second, who knows.
But he did set the pace on the final climb and it's not that drafting meant much on those percentages. Yet, Bardet was in no trouble following Pinots pace as he even attacked later. I fail to see how Pinot was the stronger rider that day. Unless ofcourse I'm forgetting some crucial point where Pinot spent unnecessary powers that cost him the chance to stay with the best after he'd reeled in Valgren on Gramartboden? To be honest I just think Pinots shape has gone up since the WC
Pinot was reacting to all the accelerations on the last Igls climb, which is a lot of wasted energy, then he set the pace from the bottom of Grammartboden, and that climb was started too fast in any case.
 
True, and really, it's Monday morning quarterbacking...what if...what if...it made sense to designate Alaf' as the team leader at the time.

Anyway, what a day! And in the end, cycling is the big winner too. Old school brawl, long-range attack, the best race of the year for me. And I'm being objective here :) ...as always ;) .

'love my signature BTW :cool: .
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Krokro said:
One thing is certain, he has monster form and a better punch than Bardet. I also thought they should've picked him as the co-leader. Considering Bardet came close second, who knows.
But he did set the pace on the final climb and it's not that drafting meant much on those percentages. Yet, Bardet was in no trouble following Pinots pace as he even attacked later. I fail to see how Pinot was the stronger rider that day. Unless ofcourse I'm forgetting some crucial point where Pinot spent unnecessary powers that cost him the chance to stay with the best after he'd reeled in Valgren on Gramartboden? To be honest I just think Pinots shape has gone up since the WC
Pinot was reacting to all the accelerations on the last Igls climb, which is a lot of wasted energy, then he set the pace from the bottom of Grammartboden, and that climb was started too fast in any case.
Regarding the last part: everybody rides the same amount of W/kg when it's that steep, whether you're on the front or sitting in the wheels.

Sometimes it seems like people overestimate the relative amount of work it takes to lead on a (very steep) climb.
 
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Krokro said:
One thing is certain, he has monster form and a better punch than Bardet. I also thought they should've picked him as the co-leader. Considering Bardet came close second, who knows.
But he did set the pace on the final climb and it's not that drafting meant much on those percentages. Yet, Bardet was in no trouble following Pinots pace as he even attacked later. I fail to see how Pinot was the stronger rider that day. Unless ofcourse I'm forgetting some crucial point where Pinot spent unnecessary powers that cost him the chance to stay with the best after he'd reeled in Valgren on Gramartboden? To be honest I just think Pinots shape has gone up since the WC
Pinot was reacting to all the accelerations on the last Igls climb, which is a lot of wasted energy, then he set the pace from the bottom of Grammartboden, and that climb was started too fast in any case.
Regarding the last part: everybody rides the same amount of W/kg when it's that steep, whether you're on the front or sitting in the wheels.

Sometimes it seems like people overestimate the relative amount of work it takes to lead on a (very steep) climb.
Pinot did mostly the first part of the climb, which was less steep, and he blew up the group, which judging by Dumoulin's pace, started out the climb too fast. So Pinot must've really blown himself up halfway the climb and still he finished in the 2nd group despite all the work he had done and riding a really inefficient climb.
 
Tonton said:
True, and really, it's Monday morning quarterbacking...what if...what if...it made sense to designate Alaf' as the team leader at the time.

Anyway, what a day! And in the end, cycling is the big winner too. Old school brawl, long-range attack, the best race of the year for me. And I'm being objective here :) ...as always ;) .

'love my signature BTW :cool: .
It was indeed. Hopefully we will remember for a long time this beautiful autumn day in Lombardia, in a weird romantic way it reminded me of the movie The Duellists, hope you saw it.
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Krokro said:
One thing is certain, he has monster form and a better punch than Bardet. I also thought they should've picked him as the co-leader. Considering Bardet came close second, who knows.
But he did set the pace on the final climb and it's not that drafting meant much on those percentages. Yet, Bardet was in no trouble following Pinots pace as he even attacked later. I fail to see how Pinot was the stronger rider that day. Unless ofcourse I'm forgetting some crucial point where Pinot spent unnecessary powers that cost him the chance to stay with the best after he'd reeled in Valgren on Gramartboden? To be honest I just think Pinots shape has gone up since the WC
Pinot was reacting to all the accelerations on the last Igls climb, which is a lot of wasted energy, then he set the pace from the bottom of Grammartboden, and that climb was started too fast in any case.
Regarding the last part: everybody rides the same amount of W/kg when it's that steep, whether you're on the front or sitting in the wheels.

Sometimes it seems like people overestimate the relative amount of work it takes to lead on a (very steep) climb.
Pinot did mostly the first part of the climb, which was less steep, and he blew up the group, which judging by Dumoulin's pace, started out the climb too fast. So Pinot must've really blown himself up halfway the climb and still he finished in the 2nd group despite all the work he had done and riding a really inefficient climb.
I think I agree with you in this particular instance. Especially because I initially was arguing that Pinot was strong and placed wrongly in the national hierarchy :p

Regarding Dumoulin, though, it must be said that he was awfully positioned at the bottom of the climb and that very well may have cost him something.
 
Jun 30, 2014
5,465
0
0
Re: Re:

I rode the WC climb twice durning the last week and only the super steep part is really hard, the other sections aren't super steep and there are more gentle sections, if you're just riding it on your own you can ride a steady pace until it gets really steep, but durning a race it totally changes the climb if you have a team setting a high pace on the first part of the climb, you're already suffering because of the brutal pace when the super steep stuff starts, just my 2 cents.
 
Rollthedice said:
Tonton said:
True, and really, it's Monday morning quarterbacking...what if...what if...it made sense to designate Alaf' as the team leader at the time.

Anyway, what a day! And in the end, cycling is the big winner too. Old school brawl, long-range attack, the best race of the year for me. And I'm being objective here :) ...as always ;) .

'love my signature BTW :cool: .
It was indeed. Hopefully we will remember for a long time this beautiful autumn day in Lombardia, in a weird romantic way it reminded me of the movie The Duellists, hope you saw it.
 
Tonton said:
Rollthedice said:
Tonton said:
True, and really, it's Monday morning quarterbacking...what if...what if...it made sense to designate Alaf' as the team leader at the time.

Anyway, what a day! And in the end, cycling is the big winner too. Old school brawl, long-range attack, the best race of the year for me. And I'm being objective here :) ...as always ;) .

'love my signature BTW :cool: .
It was indeed. Hopefully we will remember for a long time this beautiful autumn day in Lombardia, in a weird romantic way it reminded me of the movie The Duellists, hope you saw it.
A fantastic win. Great photo, thanks for sharing. Congrats all round!
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Krokro said:
One thing is certain, he has monster form and a better punch than Bardet. I also thought they should've picked him as the co-leader. Considering Bardet came close second, who knows.
But he did set the pace on the final climb and it's not that drafting meant much on those percentages. Yet, Bardet was in no trouble following Pinots pace as he even attacked later. I fail to see how Pinot was the stronger rider that day. Unless ofcourse I'm forgetting some crucial point where Pinot spent unnecessary powers that cost him the chance to stay with the best after he'd reeled in Valgren on Gramartboden? To be honest I just think Pinots shape has gone up since the WC
Pinot was reacting to all the accelerations on the last Igls climb, which is a lot of wasted energy, then he set the pace from the bottom of Grammartboden, and that climb was started too fast in any case.
Pretty sure Pinot took over from Molard as the gradients kicked above 7 percent, so he didn't lead from the bottom of the climb. Whatever, I agree using him on the Igls climb was a mistake
 
Re:

movingtarget said:
Big win for Pinot. He really turned his season around after his Giro disappointment. He has looked great over the past few months.
Earlier in his career I think people may justifiably have seen his mentality as a weakness. In retrospect, there is a real mental strength in being able to come back from disaster stronger, and he has done so repeatedly.
 
Great race, and worthy winner! Seems like there is a lesson here for other 2nd tier GC contenders like Porte, Landa etc. Work on your weaknesses and target some one day classics to get back the feel good factor.
 
Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
movingtarget said:
Big win for Pinot. He really turned his season around after his Giro disappointment. He has looked great over the past few months.
Earlier in his career I think people may justifiably have seen his mentality as a weakness. In retrospect, there is a real mental strength in being able to come back from disaster stronger, and he has done so repeatedly.
Be interesting to see the racing schedule Pinot opts for next year after his success this season.
 
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
movingtarget said:
Big win for Pinot. He really turned his season around after his Giro disappointment. He has looked great over the past few months.
Earlier in his career I think people may justifiably have seen his mentality as a weakness. In retrospect, there is a real mental strength in being able to come back from disaster stronger, and he has done so repeatedly.
Be interesting to see the racing schedule Pinot opts for next year after his success this season.
I expect Pinot is under a lot of pressure to ride TdF.
 
Re: Re:

Robert5091 said:
movingtarget said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
movingtarget said:
Big win for Pinot. He really turned his season around after his Giro disappointment. He has looked great over the past few months.
Earlier in his career I think people may justifiably have seen his mentality as a weakness. In retrospect, there is a real mental strength in being able to come back from disaster stronger, and he has done so repeatedly.
Be interesting to see the racing schedule Pinot opts for next year after his success this season.
I expect Pinot is under a lot of pressure to ride TdF.
He already made his mind before this Holy Week: he will commit to the Tour de France in 2019.
 
Jul 20, 2017
29
6
1,595
Great win from Pinto !
This represents a big achievement in cycling, especially for a GT contender.
Next year he'll turn again toward the TDF.
Last years the level was very close between top racers, at least in mountains. He must be 100% in every mountain stage AND improve his TT to achieve top 5.
I'm not sure he can remove everyone from his wheel like he did in la vuelta two times. Only Thomas managed this in 2018 and no-one in 2017 as far as I remember.

Well, first we need to wait for the stages presentation :)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS