• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pinot needs to get a rabbit foot or something. IMO he lacks 'luck'. Luck has a lot of definitions and I/many would argue that you make your own luck, but sometimes in a race others' bad luck spreads. Using this most recent 'bad luck': if his knee is 5 cm either side he would probably be OK, if the mishap doesn't happen in front of him...yeh, lots of ifs, but...

Without getting way off here, a certain unnamed guy won seven TdFs in a row with no serious issues (and when there were issues, he found a way around them or fell softly so that they weren't big issues). Certainly he made some of his 'luck' (ie: smart tire choice), but its crazy that he didn't ie: bash his quad so hard that he had to abandon in all of those years. What if he would have been collected by Beloki? That was the last if for this post.

IMO it is not a lack of mental toughness - which implies some sort of defect - but a failure to prepare down to the last tiny detail. That is how Sky have won 7 tours with 4 different riders and how LA finished first in 7 in a row. Pinot is hardly to blame as many riders with his talent and drive never won a GT. I'd bet that he could win a GT for Ineos.

Re:

jmdirt said:
Pinot needs to get a rabbit foot or something. IMO he lacks 'luck'. Luck has a lot of definitions and I/many would argue that you make your own luck, but sometimes in a race others' bad luck spreads. Using this most recent 'bad luck': if his knee is 5 cm either side he would probably be OK, if the mishap doesn't happen in front of him...yeh, lots of ifs, but...

Without getting way off here, a certain unnamed guy won seven TdFs in a row with no serious issues (and when there were issues, he found a way around them or fell softly so that they weren't big issues). Certainly he made some of his 'luck' (ie: smart tire choice), but its crazy that he didn't ie: bash his quad so hard that he had to abandon in all of those years. What if he would have been collected by Beloki? That was the last if for this post.

I agree with the sentiment here.

DNFing 6 out of 11 GT attempts tells you something. (and, please...idiots of the forum...dont bleating on about the quad, that was bad luck)

Personally I'd send Pinot to the Giro from here on. His golden chance to win the yellow jersey has gone this year. It won't come again, likely. No need to hunt that podium finish he already achieved. The Giro though, he has a chance to win the pink jersey with this year's shape!

Re:

staubsauger said:
Personally I'd send Pinot to the Giro from here on. His golden chance to win the yellow jersey has gone this year. It won't come again, likely. No need to hunt that podium finish he already achieved. The Giro though, he has a chance to win the pink jersey with this year's shape!
IMO the Giro isn't for him, plus the TdF is his life focus. His chance to win is still ahead of him...

Depends on routes and fields, but I think he has more chances to win the Giro than the Tour in most scenario's. The Tour would let him ride a better spring schedule though.

Any update on the injury and how long he'll be out? Was there any plan to ride the Vuelta for stage wins or something?

https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/pinot-wilde-stoppen-met-koersen-na-opgave-in-tour/

This is heartbreaking tbh.

I'm a big fan of Pinot for quite some time, specially for his ups and downs, but I thought I was witnessing his biggest up and then it ended up in his biggest down.

I wish this guy the best, all the best! I wish him a lot of big wins. I doubt he will ever read this, but Thibaut you are one of the most special riders in the bunch. It's a great pleasure to watch you ride and no matter what happens you are a special fan favourite rider. Keep your head up.

Re:

Kwibus said:
https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/pinot-wilde-stoppen-met-koersen-na-opgave-in-tour/

I'm a big fan of Pinot for quite some time, specially for his ups and downs, but I thought I was witnessing his biggest up and then it ended up in his biggest down.

I wish this guy the best, all the best! I wish him a lot of big wins. I doubt he will ever read this, but Thibaut you are one of the most special riders in the bunch. It's a great pleasure to watch you ride and no matter what happens you are a special fan favourite rider. Keep your head up.
:cry: :cry:

Re:

Kwibus said:

While I have never been world tour level, I "quit racing" several times. Exhaustion combined with the realization that everything that you have worked so hard for was for not, kicks you in the head sometimes. I don't know if the pressure is higher when you are being paid to win (TP) or in winning is what pays you (me), but either way sucks when it goes wrong.

Re:

macbindle said:
Fragile?

Are you saying he lacks mental strength?? :surprised:

Not that commenter, but of course not. "He's human and fragile" becuase he reminds us that the top riders are made of fallible skin and bone, not steel and diesel.

The way Pinot has ridden his Grand Tours, literally emptying himself to the point of exhaustion, sickness, or injury, is shortening his shelf life. It is the unfortunate reality that the deeper and more often you dig to the bottom of the well, the less often you will be able to dig in the future.

While Pinot's injury is not the same structural failure as Froome's broken femur, for example, Pinot's ambition will continue to drive his body up against total exhaustion in ultimately destructive ways. He's shown that he can fight against his body's limits more often than other riders, but that is not a healthy talent.

I am worried that he will not have many opportunities left to fulfill his talent and drive.

TRENDING THREADS