• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 101 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

RedheadDane said:
Right, so the ending of the documentary is heartbreaking (though he does seem to have cheered up a bit by the very end.)
However, that scene where Thibaut and - I think - Rudy Molard are watching a rerun of the stage to Tourmalet and, most specifically, Madiot's reaction is rather funny. You can almost see them thinking that;
"Yup! Our boss is crazy!"
Oh definitely. Thibaut chuckling and looking at Rudy when Madiot's voice starts to crack :lol:
Also the bedroom scene definitely had me shedding a few tears :( poor Thibaut, he was completely broken

I wanted to do this before, but unfortunately, due to technical reasons, I wasn't able to login (nor create a new account).
Gotta tell Tonton that he was right, Pinot has a higher ceiling than Bardet. I was wrong thinking otherwise.

This year he had a different "look in his eye", more fierce, more desire, killer look, whatever you wanna call it.
I guess Lombardia's win gave him the confidence needed and I found myself cheering for Pinot this year's Tour.

I still have my doubts that he'd be able to beat a top form Froome and Dumoulin, but I guess we'll only be able to see that next year.

Anyway, I'm seriously rooting for Pinot and I hope he wins a GT next year (if not the Vuelta this year). It was heartbreaking seeing him leave this year's Tour, must have been frustrating, but he'll bounce back stronger.

Speaking about the Vuelta, any news regarding his participation?

I wanted to do this before, but unfortunately, due to technical reasons, I wasn't able to login (nor create a new account).
Gotta tell Tonton that he was right, Pinot has a higher ceiling than Bardet. I was wrong thinking otherwise.

This year he had a different "look in his eye", more fierce, more desire, killer look, whatever you wanna call it.
I guess Lombardia's win gave him the confidence needed and I found myself cheering for Pinot this year's Tour.

I still have my doubts that he'd be able to beat a top form Froome and Dumoulin, but I guess we'll only be able to see that next year.

Anyway, I'm seriously rooting for Pinot and I hope he wins a GT next year (if not the Vuelta this year). It was heartbreaking seeing him leave this year's Tour, must have been frustrating, but he'll bounce back stronger.

Speaking about the Vuelta, any news regarding his participation?

Peak Froome has probably gone and Dumoulin's knee injury sounds more serious than initially reported. Pinot is getting mentally tested more than anything else. Hope he bounces back in good shape next season.

Thanks for your kind words lenric.

Best case scenario is back for Milano -Torino, I'm afraid. But I'll take it, and hope for fireworks in Lombardia, so I don't spend the off-season watching the Avec Thibaut documentary too many times. I'm still gutted.

For your enjoyment, this vid shows at 2:06 the 7 year-old Tibopino, whose favorite rider was Virenque (little did we know at the time). Note the logo on the right sleeve, and at the bottom of the jersey: Groupama. was the co-sponsor of his team. Ironic.

'https://player.ina.fr/player/embed/I12346708/1/1b0bd203fbcd702f9bc9b10ac3d0fc21/wide/1'

Best case scenario is back for Milano -Torino, I'm afraid. But I'll take it, and hope for fireworks in Lombardia, so I don't spend the off-season watching the Avec Thibaut documentary too many times. I'm still gutted.

For your enjoyment, this vid shows at 2:06 the 7 year-old Tibopino, whose favorite rider was Virenque (little did we know at the time). Note the logo on the right sleeve, and at the bottom of the jersey: Groupama. was the co-sponsor of his team. Ironic.

'https://player.ina.fr/player/embed/I12346708/1/1b0bd203fbcd702f9bc9b10ac3d0fc21/wide/1'
thanks for that.. that is great!! they are having so much fun...

Didn't know the injury was that severe.
It would be cool for his morale if he manages to grab a good result at Lombardia.

7 yo Tibo still looks bigger than Rujano.

Would love to see him back for Lombardia even if he doesnt win it a heroic showing for him and rainbows for Ala would be a great end to the year

Mentally tired maybe of grand tour disappointments. He could have had two Giro podiums and another Tour podium. The one year he gets the TT right, even the TTT ! The crosswinds stage was a bad omen but then he had a good escape with Ala to pick up some time. What might have been...........he seemed to be climbing as well as anyone. The sad thing about Pinot is that some fans are not surprised about such results anymore. Only completing 50% of the grand tours he has entered is a mediocre completion rate.

Mentally tired maybe of grand tour disappointments. He could have had two Giro podiums and another Tour podium. The one year he gets the TT right, even the TTT ! The crosswinds stage was a bad omen but then he had a good escape with Ala to pick up some time. What might have been...........he seemed to be climbing as well as anyone. The sad thing about Pinot is that some fans are not surprised about such results anymore. Only completing 50% of the grand tours he has entered is a mediocre completion rate.
Unfortunately yes. I've said it before, but I don't see him as much of a GT contender anymore, and I think he should focus more on one-day races instead. I'm sure he could challenge for a podium if he gets it all together, but the fact is we're talking about a guy who has one GT podium five years ago and since then has failed to finish 4/7 GT's he's entered.

Unfortunately yes. I've said it before, but I don't see him as much of a GT contender anymore, and I think he should focus more on one-day races instead. I'm sure he could challenge for a podium if he gets it all together, but the fact is we're talking about a guy who has one GT podium five years ago and since then has failed to finish 4/7 GT's he's entered.

I feel that's a funny thing to say after this year's Tour, when injury forced him out at a time when he looked to many like the strongest in the race.

Looked at another way, he abandoned this year's Tour at the same age Chris Froome was when he abandoned the 2014 Tour. It would at the very least be premature for Pinot to just stop chasing GC altogether now.

I will say he needs to add some cork barends onto his drops or something for next season. Just cover everything in cotton wool and rubber, ride in body armour, double wash all his vegetables, y'know. Go the full Howard Hughes.

I feel that's a funny thing to say after this year's Tour, when injury forced him out at a time when he looked to many like the strongest in the race.

Looked at another way, he abandoned this year's Tour at the same age Chris Froome was when he abandoned the 2014 Tour. It would at the very least be premature for Pinot to just stop chasing GC altogether now.

I will say he needs to add some cork barends onto his drops or something for next season. Just cover everything in cotton wool and rubber, ride in body armour, double wash all his vegetables, y'know. Go the full Howard Hughes.
Yeah, I don't deny that he is very strong and was one of the very best this year's Tour. However, that's just the story of his GT career in recent years. Being very strong, but then getting sick/suffering/having an off day/losing time on a flat stage etc. It seems like this always happens to him.

But yes, he's still not 30 yet so of course he still has some GT shots in him. Personally, I just won't count him among the top contenders anymore. Outsider? Sure.

TRENDING THREADS