• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 129 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
2018 Giro,2019 tour thought he was further in on 2016 but dnf late in 2nd week. i know injuries and illness were reasons given but both can be a result of extreme fatigue. I am always worried for him the day after he puts in a big effort.

I'd say he did two days of big efforts in the 2018 Giro, given that simply finishing stage 20 probably took some fighting. And surely his biggest efforts in the 2019 Tour was stage 14 and 15...

But I'm pretty sure extreme fatigue was indeed one of the listed reasons in that Giro.

Pretty incredible "excuses" for his supposed poor condition in this latest interview, i.e. Pinot couldn't train well this winter due to snowfall in Franche-Comté:

Thibaut Pinot va bien débuter sa saison sur le Tour des Alpes-Maritimes et du Var - L'Équipe (lequipe.fr)

Too cold to to train, apparently. Let's hope he's just keeping a low profile & playing mind games because with a 2 million euro salary... no comment vis-à-vis his motivation & professionalism.
I thought he does a lot of Nordic skiing as cross training in the winter—the larger snowpack got in the way of that? Or did his back issues make the skiing more difficult?

I thought he does a lot of Nordic skiing as cross training in the winter—the larger snowpack got in the way of that? Or did his back issues make the skiing more difficult?

No mention of skiing in the article, but Pinot finished merely 2 seconds down in the first stage of the Tour du Var today (a climb finish): Bauke Mollema premier leader dans les Alpes-Maritimes - L'Équipe (lequipe.fr)

So he looks more than okay for a rider who supposedly couldn't train this winter. So I think those quoted "excuses" can be classified in the "B.S." category of usual nothingness pre-season comments by teams & riders deflecting pressure.

No mention of skiing in the article, but Pinot finished merely 2 seconds down in the first stage of the Tour du Var today (a climb finish): Bauke Mollema premier leader dans les Alpes-Maritimes - L'Équipe (lequipe.fr)

So he looks more than okay for a rider who supposedly couldn't train this winter. So I think those quoted "excuses" can be classified in the "B.S." category of usual nothingness pre-season comments by teams & riders deflecting pressure.
I haven't read anything about skiing this winter, just hurt, hurt, hurt, until he got the shot. It goes to say that he made a point to finish the Tour and it ruined his season and more. Other muscles over-compensating is dangerous when you are hurt and keep going. He was brave, but he messed up his body. Now it's not Pinot-like to BS, he tells itas he feels. His off-season was crap, until the shot his back was still bothering, now he is recovering and needs mileage to build up. Why BS on his chances at the freaking Tour du Haut Var? Tonight he must be feeling good tho'. Not an easy final, world-class opposition, he's there. A good day.

Reactions: RedheadDane
^^that's more likely the case. he was disappointed in the Tour and wanted to salvage his season.

I'm a fan of cortisone shots, tbh. (well, not the shot itself -- no fun at all -- but the effects, so long as they are use in limited cases they allow you to rehab or rest without pain. You don't want to use them as a crutch without treating the underlying problem)

Reactions: Sandisfan
^^that's more likely the case. he was disappointed in the Tour and wanted to salvage his season.

I'm a fan of cortisone shots, tbh. (well, not the shot itself -- no fun at all -- but the effects, so long as they are use in limited cases they allow you to rehab or rest without pain. You don't want to use them as a crutch without treating the underlying problem)
indeed, I have had quite a few due to issues related to breaking my back a few years back. i broke three of the transverse processes, These are the tips that stick out of the side of your vertebrae and are the muscle attachment points. I would be wheeled into the Dr's. unable to stand and get a cortisone shot and walk out. it's not that painful in your back just a sting and a wave of relief.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The decision to finish the Tour seems less and less reasonable by the day. Now it wouldn't matter if he is willing to ride the rest of his career on cortisone TUEs, but man, I doubt we will see anything significant from him until the end of season at the very least; it should go without saying that he should skip the Giro if necessary and focus on healing, and then Vuelta and Lombardia like in 2018

all this because he didnt want to get a cortisone shot WHILE INJURED during the TDF? he wouldnt have won the race on that.
well at least get it the monday after the race finished.
no, he didnt. what is he fighting for? ok, dont take it during the race, but immediately after. risking, and succeeding in having huge problems, all for the moral stance?

ok, dont take it during the race, but immediately after. risking, and succeeding in having huge problems, all for the moral stance?

Take it right after the race, and call it a season; don't start the Vuelta. And I wonder; if the ITT of the Tour hadn't gone through his home-village, could they have convinced him to pack up and leave, even if he probably felt like he had something to prove?
Aah, well... guess we'll never know.

Thibaut Pinot (Groupama - FDJ) suffered a setback on the three-day Tour des Alpes Maritimes et du Var. The 30-year-old, who started his season in the French stage race and finished ninth on the first stage, had to realize on the final stage on Sunday that his back problems from last autumn were still an issue. He crossed the finish line in the third stage, twelve minutes behind, in 50th place, while his teammates Valentin Madouas, David Gaudu and Rudy Molard dominated the race at the front.

"I don't know if it's worrying again," said Pinot after the L'Equipe race. "But I have to say that it was a bit of a chore today. My back is not doing well. I came here for the Tour du Var to get answers and I have them. They are not good answers, but at least answers. I'll discuss it with the team, but the first signals weren't good. "

Pinot's back problems go back to a fall at the Critérium du Dauphiné in August, which forced him to cancel the French championships. Although he then competed in the Tour de France, he was in such pain in the mountains that he could not call up his performance and finally only arrived in Paris in 29th place. He then started at the Vuelta a Espana, but gave up on the third day. In the winter, Pinot declared that he had taken the problems seriously too late.

TRENDING THREADS