• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

This place will be terrible come July

Unless something is done to quell the exponential rise in trolling/baiting in any thread loosely based on Astana/Radioshack/Contador/Armstrong. Most of the time it's new accounts with few previous posts engaging in this behaviour, but it also drags other members into the pit and you get an unattractive slagging match.

e.g Thoughts on Astana from post #166 onwards.

or the ToC Stage 3 thread from post #160 onwards.

If this disruptive behaviour continues then the number of threads with discussions actually worth reading will continue to drop. In the last few weeks there has been a significant rise in the number of members whose main role seems to be attempting to bait other posters in order to deteriorate the quality of the forum. Don't confuse ignorance with intentional baiting.

I agree with this completely. Yesterday (18 May 2010) was particularly bad. I logged in to check out the latest items and there was some very ugly stuff.

I'm getting rather tired of all the bile, the endlessly recycled hate and the scrappy, point-scoring rhetoric. All that's needed is a bit of (self-)respect and decency towards others: you would never dare to be so odious face-to-face. :)

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
I agree with this completely. Yesterday (18 May 2010) was particularly bad. I logged in to check out the latest items and there was some very ugly stuff.

I'm getting rather tired of all the bile, the endlessly recycled hate and the scrappy, point-scoring rhetoric. All that's needed is a bit of (self-)respect and decency towards others: you would never dare to be so odious face-to-face. :)

It's the Americans. We're an odious bunch.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
Of course it isn't. Nationality has nothing to do with it. :)

I think he is joking....besides the worst troll we have here on the board, the guy who has been banned over 30 times, claims he is English.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Unless something is done to quell the exponential rise in trolling/baiting in any thread loosely based on Astana/Radioshack/Contador/Armstrong. Most of the time it's new accounts with few previous posts engaging in this behaviour, but it also drags other members into the pit and you get an unattractive slagging match.

e.g Thoughts on Astana from post #166 onwards.

or the ToC Stage 3 thread from post #160 onwards.

If this disruptive behaviour continues then the number of threads with discussions actually worth reading will continue to drop. In the last few weeks there has been a significant rise in the number of members whose main role seems to be attempting to bait other posters in order to deteriorate the quality of the forum. Don't confuse ignorance with intentional baiting.

+1000. Thank you Ferminal. This needed to be said. I tried to read the forum last night, and there were a ton of nasty posts in a couple threads, including the "Thoughts on Astana" thread. I reported several things, and logged in this morning to see that nothing had been cleaned up in that thread, and that the baiting/trolling/fighting had continued overnight.

Now with the changes at the Giro today, I'd like to actually have a decent discussion with people about Astana (the team's strategy, withdrawals, etc), but the darn thread is such a stinking pile of garbage, there's no reason to go over there.

Trolling has gotten much much worse lately, and it seems there is little the site admins/mods are doing about it at present. In my opinion, obvious trolls are being given far too much leeway before being banned. The quality of the whole forum has gone down noticeably.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Just a thought but in the light of what's happened with FLandis - could it have been a preemptive strike to try and push people away from this forum. mmmm

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Tpday is completely insane with the amount of new members, isn't it better to have some sort of approval system, where one needs to wait a week or so before he can start posting, most trolls won't be able to wait that long and will quickly turn somewhere else

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
It's already way out of control. Lance is a talking point and he annoys people on this forum. Too much Lance and I think the moderators need to come down harder on these threads which talk about all the same stuff. making a lance section won't make a difference as in the pro road racing sect', even with a lance thread people make more lance threads regardless.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
As a new member can I offer some insight?

Being fairly experienced in other forums, I know relatively what its like when there is a peak of new members and posts (for example game series release dates). Generally, the average person who posts is very green and not fairly bright in comparison to regulars but the thing is, these times are important for any forum as it helps bring new members in and even if some are perennial or one post wonders, you will get some who stay and members are the life blood of any forum. I know I came for extra info about the Giro but I am very much interested in other pro races and talk about the teams.

An effective method that I find helps when dealing with trolls is don't read that board or thread where they appear, particulary if that topic is of little interest to you. You'll never find myself in the Cross or Mountain Bike forums as my passion is purely Professional Road Cycling. Avoiding trolls is impossible but a little common sense and now, will cut down on your exposure.

Just my thoughts on the matter :)

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Tuarts said:
An effective method that I find helps when dealing with trolls is don't read that board or thread where they appear,

For our most frequent troll that appears to be his goal, highjack any thread that discusses his hero an insure that people will avoid it

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Wow! Can we rename this the Nagging Thread?

I can't believe this lot is complaining about the content. Who controls the content? The posters! If you are so appalled by the posts then you should really consider moving on, this is just not for you. This realization should of run past your mind by now? With so many forums/blogs, etc. I'm sure you can find one that caters to your likes, yes it will take time and testing a few out but that's life and in the end you'll find a forum that you'll love! So don't force yourself to read 1000 more you know who threads or he did this or that about that rider posts. MOVE ON! This way those posting things you don't like will fall on deaf ears so to speak, making your stance all that more important to you and your forum reading/posting.

I actually use many forums but I will never tell you which ones because I don't want naggers and whiners on it! I do have to admit I come here for the comedy and the spice that makes my blogs/posts/site that more entertainig in the long run.

THANKS! Your whinning/nagging was not in vain.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Can CN just close the forum to new members for the next two weeks? We've got the same idiots coming back again and again within hours of being banned. My ignore list is up to about 20 people now.

ElChingon said:
I can't believe this lot is complaining about the content. Who controls the content? The posters! If you are so appalled by the posts then you should really consider moving on.
While I agree there's a fine line between allowing totally open conversation, and having too heavy of a hand controlling it, there is a serious issue here when you have one person whose only want is to disrupt the flow of conversation who keeps returning 30-40 times after being banned.

I don't have much of an issue with people arguing points, or showing bias. I don't have a problem with people who are naive making posts or threads with questions that have been answered over and over, but when someone's only interest is to create turmoil, especially after being both asked to leave, then forced to leave, then I have a problem.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
A friend of mine often tells me, to accept it as umanageabe - it then becomes manageable.

I am not so interested in what people (trolls) post but in the questions I have. There is a he(ll) of a lot of information being posted. Enjoy it.

This road is going to be far from straight. Come July who knows if I will have enjoyed the ride

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
While I agree there's a fine line between allowing totally open conversation, and having too heavy of a hand controlling it, there is a serious issue here when you have one person whose only want is to disrupt the flow of conversation who keeps returning 30-40 times after being banned.

I don't have much of an issue with people arguing points, or showing bias. I don't have a problem with people who are naive making posts or threads with questions that have been answered over and over, but when someone's only interest is to create turmoil, especially after being both asked to leave, then forced to leave, then I have a problem.

The disruption is caused by the posters who are replying to these turmoil creators, just skip that post and get to the point of the thread no matter what they say. They want people to reply in ager to their post to get their kicks, you feed their kick and they keep coming back time and time again. All thread deviations from the subject at hand are caused by people replying to these turmoil posters and then that ruins the thread. If anyone is so offended to a post then PM the poster and take it off to the PM section where the two can debate on their own away from the subject at hand in the thread. No instead the two battle on in a thread totally ruining it. It takes two to do that not one poster.

Maybe if the initial poster and reply poster were both banned it will really cut down on the issue, teach people to not draw themselves into that practice.

A

Anonymous

Screw all you guys and your hoity toity attitudes. Why not just rename the Forum "Old Ladies Only" or something...

Seriously, I am just kidding.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Haven't really thought this through, but might it be an option to limit the amount of posts new posters can make in a single day (say 5) until they have lasted a certain amount of time here and proven themselves to be post worthy (say 50 posts)?

I noticed that it is mainly troll(s) who create new alter egos that notch up 20+ posts in hours (all meant to cause havoc with the flow of threads). Volume trolling becomes a bit more cumbersome that way, also a bit more blatant, and it doesn't really affect the joining-in ability of genuine and valuable new members that we do want to attract with these flagship events?

Francois the Postman said:
Haven't really thought this through, but might it be an option to limit the amount of posts new posters can make in a single day (say 5) until they have lasted a certain amount of time here and proven themselves to be post worthy (say 50 posts)?

I noticed that it is mainly troll(s) who create new alter egos that notch up 20+ posts in hours (all meant to cause havoc with the flow of threads). Volume trolling becomes a bit more cumbersome that way, also a bit more blatant, and it doesn't really affect the joining-in ability of genuine and valuable new members that we do want to attract with these flagship events?

+1 agree Francios the Postman.I mean ive been logging onto this forum for 2-3 years and have only accumulated 500+ posts.Some new poster's come up with that total amount of posts just in the 21 days of July.Limitations should be set...Max posts per day/week...

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
It's already way out of control. Lance is a talking point and he annoys people on this forum. Too much Lance and I think the moderators need to come down harder on these threads which talk about all the same stuff. making a lance section won't make a difference as in the pro road racing sect', even with a lance thread people make more lance threads regardless.

Unfortunately the rudest and most abusive people are some of the ones with the largest numbers of posts. They constantly bemoan trolling and yet they themselves feed it. Then there are those who consider anyone with an alternative viewpoint to theirs to be trolls.

Trolls, trolls and not a bridge in sight