• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thomas Dekker to cooperate with Anti-Doping Agency

Thomas Dekker to cooperate with Dutch Anti-Doping Agency

Anti-Doping Statement - Thomas Dekker (Garmin-Sharp)

''As member of Team Garmin-Sharp and their policy and values, as Dutch rider and member of the Dutch federation, as ex-doper who served a 2 years suspension and as supporter of clean cycling: I announce that I will testify and fully cooperate with the Dutch Anti-Doping Authority to help further clean the world of cycling. Therefore I choose to give the full extent of my knowledge, names, dates and details.

There are many details and people involved with my doping past. All of that, including the names of people who helped me will be given to the Anti-Doping Authority.

I will begin this process and hope that it will make it easier for ex-colleagues and ex-teammates to come forward and help the sport.''

Thomas Dekker,
Calpe, Spain.

Note:
Thomas Dekker is not available for any interview request or comment during his cooperation with the Dutch Anti-Doping Authority. He will focus on his racing and work for Team Garmin-Sharp.
The first meeting between the Dutch Anti-Doping Authority and Thomas Dekker is planned within the coming two weeks.

Arnout said:
''As member of Team Garmin-Sharp and their policy and values, as Dutch rider and member of the Dutch federation, as ex-doper who served a 2 years suspension and as supporter of clean cycling: I announce that I will testify and fully cooperate with the Dutch Anti-Doping Authority to help further clean the world of cycling. Therefore I choose to give the full extent of my knowledge, names, dates and details.

Good move by Dekker. I may even begin to support him when on the road.

hrotha said:
I thought he was required to fully cooperate with WADA before signing for Garmin?
Within his legal possiblities, I guess. There were maybe some contracts and agreements involved.

But Danny Nelissen already said Thomas Dekker told him that he isn't going to lie for anyone anymore. He'll tell everything he knows. Which is a good thing, of course, if he really does it.

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Within his legal possiblities, I guess. There were maybe some contracts and agreements involved.

But Danny Nelissen already said Thomas Dekker told him that he isn't going to lie for anyone anymore. He'll tell everything he knows. Which is a good thing, of course, if he really does it.

I hope he exposes every louse involved and they continue to do the same themselves. Time to put things right.

Benotti69 said:
So Dekker is only getting around to telling the 'full' truth now?

I thought he had to do that before joining Garmin?

He probably already did to Vaughters, will now do to Dutch Anti-Doping Agency.

Oh and can we please not make this another Vaughters/Garmin/Sky bash thread? There are enough of those, please this topic is for what Dekker has to say.

pmcg76 said:
Well according to this article, Dekker initiated a meeting with WADA and met with McQuaid(pointless). It doesn't expand on these points so hard to day what happened with WADA. It just says he was never called to testify by anybody.
Digging up older articles, it seems Dekker told WADA about his doping but didn't name any names.

Good move by Dekker.

I think the policy of Garmin is that if an ADA opens up an investigation a rider has to fully cooperate with it.
It's what Dekker is doing now.

Although why he didn't disclose everything to WADA when he met them is anybody's guess.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
the asian said:
Good move by Dekker.

I think the policy of Garmin is that if an ADA opens up an investigation a rider has to fully cooperate with it.
It's what Dekker is doing now.

Although why he didn't disclose everything to WADA when he met them is anybody's guess.

because I've said that already. he signed a contract to shut his mouth upon leaving rabobank

May 26, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Dekker was a Fuentes customer, according to NRC. He was 'Classicomano Luigi', various sources tell them.

That part is old news. And still a bit odd considering that he isn't a classics guy.

I'm a bit annoyed by this "news" that the Dutch papers drag up. It's all good to go over it again, but almost everything has been posted years ago in those same newspapers. It would be nice if they said it was just a recap and that the real news (for example the confirmation!) will follow.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
He probably won't read this, but anyway, Thomas: You've made the right decision! True cycling fans will cheer for you, and the sport will be a better place for us all once the enablers, backers, doctors and handimen who made all this possible are pulled out from obscurity. THANK YOU!

Franklin said:
That part is old news. And still a bit odd considering that he isn't a classics guy.

I'm a bit annoyed by this "news" that the Dutch papers drag up. It's all good to go over it again, but almost everything has been posted years ago in those same newspapers. It would be nice if they said it was just a recap and that the real news (for example the confirmation!) will follow.
It's not old news, it was pretty much speculation until this point. Zonneveld probably had guessed it himself, but you gotta back it up.

pastronef said:
Gerard never loses a beat

https://mobile.twitter.com/gerardvroomen/status/294055580925059072?p=v

I remember how Vaughters said Vroomen "busted his balls plenty" when he decided to hire Dekker
Vroomen and his ethics... years of sponsoring Bjarne Riis does wonders for your hypocrisy level.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Well according to this article, Dekker initiated a meeting with WADA and met with McQuaid(pointless). It doesn't expand on these points so hard to day what happened with WADA. It just says he was never called to testify by anybody.

Regarding WADA - from this article in January 2012.
The WADA meeting was perhaps the most significant. Dekker would not talk about the specifics, but told Cyclingnews that while he talked about his own past he did not give up names of those who he knew had doped or who had helped him cheat.

It should be noted - Dekker is willing to testify to an ADA, and he was a well connected recent doper. This is pretty big news.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
It's disappointing that Dekker was allowed to join Garmin after what was just a low-fat confession, but then, it's pretty clear the ex-Posties had never had to do even that.

Garmin = Doper Haven, as in can live on holding the candle knowing well they screwed everyone before.

TRENDING THREADS