• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tim Peddie

He was a surprise selection in that 92 team as there were a lot bigger names like Julich/Evanshire/Baker/Hincapie/Carney around then, I think he got on the team due to some points system or something. He never turned pro either I dont think, no idea what became of him, just disappeared like many others I guess.

pmcg76 said:
He was a surprise selection in that 92 team as there were a lot bigger names like Julich/Evanshire/Baker/Hincapie/Carney around then, I think he got on the team due to some points system or something. He never turned pro either I dont think, no idea what became of him, just disappeared like many others I guess.

Actually, in defense of Tim, he made the team fair and square by winning the selection race! That threw a monkey wrench in the plans of USCF, which wanted Darren Baker to have that slot.

Just wondered what happened to him after the race...

And Matt Johnson, too. Anyone remember him? Insanely strong.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Actually, in defense of Tim, he made the team fair and square by winning the selection race! That threw a monkey wrench in the plans of USCF, which wanted Darren Baker to have that slot.

Just wondered what happened to him after the race...

And Matt Johnson, too. Anyone remember him? Insanely strong.

I've mentioned several times the number of junior riders that made the World's TTT team and other squads that quit when faced with both coaches and international pressure to dope. Look at the young riders that raced along side them for more names that retired young. Matt Johnson has raced some and saw him two summers ago at Marymoor Velodrome. He was all class but smart enough to want more.
Thanks, Jiri, Chris M for flushing good riders down the drain.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
I've mentioned several times the number of junior riders that made the World's TTT team and other squads that quit when faced with both coaches and international pressure to dope. Look at the young riders that raced along side them for more names that retired young. Matt Johnson has raced some and saw him two summers ago at Marymoor Velodrome. He was all class but smart enough to want more.

Actually I meant Jiri M, Chris C.

Oldman said:

Smart enough? :rolleyes: lol I guess, though maybe "realistic" is a better term.

Anyway, I found a pretty cool Google book "The Evolution of American Bicycle Racing" while searching for info on Peddie. The pre-1989 info was enjoyable to read, and most of it was new to me. Link here.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Smart enough? :rolleyes: lol I guess, though maybe "realistic" is a better term.

Anyway, I found a pretty cool Google book "The Evolution of American Bicycle Racing" while searching for info on Peddie. The pre-1989 info was enjoyable to read, and most of it was new to me. Link here.

I would guess your perspective would be different if you didn't take the path that led you to your current condition, wouldn't it? These guys were young and were completely naive to what would be expected of them. Most of them talked about it alot with teammates and friends before making a choice.

Oldman said:
I would guess your perspective would be different if you didn't take the path that led you to your current condition, wouldn't it? These guys were young and were completely naive to what would be expected of them. Most of them talked about it alot with teammates and friends before making a choice.

Point acknowledged.

All I can say is that nothing in life, not university, work, "family," provided as much satisfaction as cycling for me. But - I can remember so many talented juniors, guys who had more natural ability than me, who stopped for whatever reason... Mariano Friedrick is one of the few guys from my "class" (meaning either birth year 1975, or the years in which we were juniors) who competed for as long as I did at that level (though he was realistically a level up w/ his success on the track)...one name that we should have been reading about all these past years was Heath Sandall, who is now a photographer in Alaska. In 1992-94 he was one of the best juniors in the world.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
When searching unsuccessfully for the news of Levi's bust before another poster found it on the wayback machine, I came across this right here:

http://www.ncnca.org/road/1996/ExeterRR.html#senior1

If you want to start a list of guys who got screwed by the actions of people like yourself (and obviously tons others), you can simply look at the very top of the list of the P1/2 race. A clean dude smoked a lot of guys who ended up choosing a different path, complete with fame, fortune and podium girls.

Sad, on the one hand, but I'm sure Kirk can sleep well at night.

131313 said:
When searching unsuccessfully for the news of Levi's bust before another poster found it on the wayback machine, I came across this right here:

If you want to start a list of guys who got screwed by the actions of people like yourself (and obviously tons others), you can simply look at the very top of the list of the P1/2 race. A clean dude smoked a lot of guys who ended up choosing a different path, complete with fame, fortune and podium girls.

And here's a link to Matt Johnson's data at CyclingArchives.com, complete with picture:

1218178801johnsonbio.jpg

But c'mon, "people like yourself"? Just say "doped riders" or "cheaters." It's hardly as if I'm the standard-bearer for cyclists who've doped, although I'm one who did.

Fred Thistle

BANNED
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
joe_papp said:
But c'mon, "people like yourself"? Just say "doped riders" or "cheaters." It's hardly as if I'm the standard-bearer for cyclists who've doped, although I'm one who did.

That irks you?

What irks me is that 'cheating' is getting so much press... it is getting acceptance. Doping at the veterans racing is rife! Veterans for chrisake!!

That some 'dopers' can just turn around and say sorry for thier thievery (and drug pushing) and still expect to participate in the cycling world (including this forum)... unbelievable.

lie down with dogs...

But you were here first. I see you have lots of 'forum friends'... I will look up how to use the ignore function... but I'm still irked.

A newbie to the CN forum after years of CN patronage... dissappointed in what I've found is acceptable

Fred Thistle said:
That irks you?

What irks me is that 'cheating' is getting so much press... it is getting acceptance. Doping at the veterans racing is rife! Veterans for chrisake!!

That some 'dopers' can just turn around and say sorry for thier thievery (and drug pushing) and still expect to participate in the cycling world (including this forum)... unbelievable.

lie down with dogs...

But you were here first. I see you have lots of 'forum friends'... I will look up how to use the ignore function... but I'm still irked.

A newbie to the CN forum after years of CN patronage... dissappointed in what I've found is acceptable

Well, while I understand how "newbies" feel that it is their right to express the same outrage to me that I've been on the receiving end for months, at this point, in this forum, I'm here for a doping-free discussion and you hijacked this thread which was about Tim Peddie by injecting a doping argument into it. If you want to ignore me, great, but try not to ignore etiquette here - and please keep doping w/in The Clinic.

There are lots of threads to discuss doping etc in the Clinic. I think the original intent of the thread was to track down Tim Peddie so let's stick to relevant info about that. I'd rather not have to move the thread.

Thanks

Fred Thistle

BANNED
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Runitout said:
Edited to remove response to Mr Thistle - right you are, 180mm crank.

look, I'm sorry- but it wasn't me who took the debate in that direction... Papp was arguing the point with 131313 and Oldman... i just responded to the last thing argued that seemed rubbish.

sorry to forum members

I did a google on Tim Peddie to try and be helpful- this him?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
131313 said:

You're right. Kirk was one of the cleanest dudes on the planet. One of the best teammates of all time, too.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Joe,

When I was coming up through the junior ranks in the 80s what I saw was a LOT of guys come up who had so much talent it blew me away. Some of these kids could flat out fly. One name that stick out is Steve Scuron (sp) who won the US Crit championship (men) at age 16 I think. He came out of nowhere...all the sudden there was one race...this new kid goes off the front...gets about a 50 meter gap and we can't close it!! Freakin unbelievable. I think he came from BMX or something. There were other kids in the Philly, NJ, north east area that were fast too. What I think happened, was that these guys come in, kick ****, train a lot..and I mean a lot...and then burn out!! Plain burn out!! As I moved into the senior ranks it was like I could almost pick out the kids (after talking with them about training, etc.) who would burn out and not go anywhere in cycling.

I live in NC now and my son races...I am trying to keep the training to a minimum (he is only 13). But many of the boys he races against are logging 200 or more miles per week, with heavy intervals, etc. I keep telling him, it does not matter what you are doing as a young junior...it starts to matter when you are older.

Does anyone remember Danny Fox? Kid out of Philly...he actually did pretty well for himself. He was a huge natural talent...kept the training legit and actually made it a year or two in Italy, before there were many Americans there.

Just my opinions...hope I didn't hijack the thread too much...I appreciate all your posts!!

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
Joe,

When I was coming up through the junior ranks in the 80s what I saw was a LOT of guys come up who had so much talent it blew me away. Some of these kids could flat out fly. One name that stick out is Steve Scuron (sp) who won the US Crit championship (men) at age 16 I think. He came out of nowhere...all the sudden there was one race...this new kid goes off the front...gets about a 50 meter gap and we can't close it!! Freakin unbelievable. I think he came from BMX or something. There were other kids in the Philly, NJ, north east area that were fast too. What I think happened, was that these guys come in, kick ****, train a lot..and I mean a lot...and then burn out!! Plain burn out!! As I moved into the senior ranks it was like I could almost pick out the kids (after talking with them about training, etc.) who would burn out and not go anywhere in cycling.

I live in NC now and my son races...I am trying to keep the training to a minimum (he is only 13). But many of the boys he races against are logging 200 or more miles per week, with heavy intervals, etc. I keep telling him, it does not matter what you are doing as a young junior...it starts to matter when you are older.

Does anyone remember Danny Fox? Kid out of Philly...he actually did pretty well for himself. He was a huge natural talent...kept the training legit and actually made it a year or two in Italy, before there were many Americans there.

Just my opinions...hope I didn't hijack the thread too much...I appreciate all your posts!!

There are plenty of new kids that hopefully won't burn out. I do see more than a few little league parents that buy the latest hot stuff for the growing punks. I'm jealous, though so that's not necessarily relevant.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Joe & Co,
Note number 5 & 6 finishers. This was about the time things started going bad for one of them and good for the other. Horner spent alot of time with Kirk, eventually moving to Bend when Kirk did. They also trained in Norcal alot after our little team began scouting it in 1989 and Kirk moved to Healdsburg for a time; Levi moved in next door during that period for Mercury. I think that's when John Worden decided to go big time, hire Peter Van Petegem and that whole thing went South. There was a definite division between clean and less clean at the time. Don't know if the disparity was what moved T Peddie from the sport. We didn't see him back in Seattle.

Senior 1/Pro 152 Starters Time 3:50:14 95 Miles
1 Kirk Willett Nutra Fig
2 Sven Teatenbre US Postal
3 Matt McCartay Saturn
4 Mattias Carlson Swedish
5 Chad Gerlach US Postal
6 Chris Horner Nutra Fig
7 Roberto Gaglioli Chevy/LA Sheriffs
8 Declan Lonersan Elite
9 Thurlow Rogers Nuta Fig
10 Jeff Pierce LASD
11 Eddy Gragus US Postal
12 Derby Pattengill The bike Shop
13 Derek Bourchard Ha
14 Dariusz Baranowski US Postal
15 Nate Reiss US Postal
16 Malcolm Elliott Chevy/LA Sheriff
17 Andrew Lewis Kissena
18 John Wike The Bike Shop
19 Frank Banfield Mrs. T's
20 Ernesto Lechuga Mrs. T's
21 Timm Peddie Team Plymouth
22 Kile Smith Team One Plus
23 Michael Sayers Einstein Bagels
24 Tyler Hamilton US Postal
25 Scott McAfee Napa
26 Sean Bragstad Start To Finish
27 Chris walker Nutra fig
28 Levi Leipheimer Einstein Bagels
29 David Clinger Mrs. T's
30 Patrick Eyk Team Plymouth

joe_papp said:
Well, while I understand how "newbies" feel that it is their right to express the same outrage to me that I've been on the receiving end for months, at this point, in this forum, I'm here for a doping-free discussion and you hijacked this thread which was about Tim Peddie by injecting a doping argument into it. If you want to ignore me, great, but try not to ignore etiquette here - and please keep doping w/in The Clinic.

Word!!!!!!!

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:

+2 Word up Dawg!

TRDean said:
Joe,

No worries, Dean. Thanks for sharing. I, too, saw a lot of guys burn-out before they ever became seniors. Erik Saunders wasn't one of them, and while I think it more than once, I very rarely took money from him.

Does anyone remember a story about Darren Baker and/or his entourage (supposedly) trying to bribe Peddie to give up his Olympic spot to DB? Regardless, I recall that TP was not a popular winner of the automatic berth - at least not w/ the coaching staff.

Joey_J

BANNED
Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
A little OT but my family is from Corbera, Spain which is on the other side of the range where the 92 RR was held. I trained on those roads almost daily. They went out of their way to make the course easier than they could have. Beautiful area famous for wine and cava. Torres and Freixenet. I was at the finish when Casartelli won. I also remember a certain LA after the race who wasn’t very happy.

TRENDING THREADS