• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tirreno - Adriatico 2021, March 10 - March 16

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Stage 4 Highlights (03:24 English) — Velon

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSvY-v5XGjQ&feature=emb_title

22 Big Photos from Stage 4 (descriptions to come) — rcs/corvos/bettini

278-CORVOS_00032957-017.jpg

300-CORVOS_00032957-021.jpg

400-ALP_0403.jpg

Reactions: Eeslliw and Koronin
It's 20 km from the finish. Steep enough to cause elite selection, and then plenty of road left to attack on. Heck, he could even attack before that climb. Everyone will look at Pogi and expect him to chase, if his teammates are not on a super day.
Certainly potential for a major ambush like the year Nibali turned the tables on Froome with the help of peak Sagan after Froome had finished off a dominant Team Sky effort on the MTF only for the whole team to go missing in action on the sawtooth terrain.

Can Cyclingnews please not put "positive" and "testing" in the headline of an article? I think they are trying to cause heart attacks.

Sporza did the same thing last week with a headline, a Belgian sprinter "was in tears" because "she tested positive"... and she couldn't participate in the semi-finals. She tested positive for Corona (but you had to read the article for that). They did change the title after i sent them a friendly message.

Sporza did the same thing last week with a headline, a Belgian sprinter "was in tears" because "she tested positive"... and she couldn't participate in the semi-finals. She tested positive for Corona (but you had to read the article for that). They did change the title after i sent them a friendly message.

That's even worse. Hope she recovers quickly.

sky train all the way until 3 km to go, then various attacks. Looked like a pretty fast climb to me. I guess the tempo of the train wasn't as fast as they sold it.
These are the times for Prati di Tivo as reported in la Gazzetta dello Sport this morning:

Nibali 2012: 38:58
Froome 2013: 38:23 (Nibali: 38:33 in 3rd)
Pogacar 2021: 36:07 (Nibali: 37:33 in 16th)

Apart from the fact that Pogacar smashed Froome's 2013 time (the year he would go on to "vroom, vroom" up Mont Ventoux at the Tour), even Nibali's time for 16th place yesterday was better than Froome in 2013. What does it mean? The level of performance by the 22 year-old Slovenian is just extra-terrestrial (as it used to be said in the 90s) and that the top riders are all riding considerably faster.

Last edited:
Can Cyclingnews please not put "positive" and "testing" in the headline of an article? I think they are trying to cause heart attacks.

the word 'positive' is too negative when it come to cycling
when i see the word positive in the site, automatically the question pops up in my mind "who?" Its more like clickbait.

My gut feeling says Wout will lose more time on Pogacar today. From a Belgian point of view, of course I hope I'm wrong. After such a display he belongs on the final podium at least.
If Bernal and co attack on the steep hills, well before the line, Van Aert could suffer a bad day. Pogacar will not attack that early. I think he will attack on the penultimate climb of Castelfidardo, at 20/25 km from the finish. To increase his lead in view of the last two stages.

completely different form levels.

This 1.5km climb is a 5 min effort. This is well within reach. If it was 10/15 minute effort it would be a problem.

MvDP pulled the plug early yesterday so he should have more left than Wout/Alaf today.

I do think that Mathieu can climb a bit more than he's shown, but he probably realizes there's no point when it's not going to pay off. If he can go anaerobic for 15 minutes on a CX lap or two, he can surely do it on a climb. Because of his weight there might be a percentage where he struggles (7 pct+, perhaps) but I could see him hanging in on a typical Cat 2, say 6 km at 6-7 percent.