• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tirreno-Adriatico 2023, March 6-12

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I do honestly think that flat stage breakaways have become a farce.

And I have no solution for that.

No solution here either and I agree.
I guess noone sees a chance at winning from there, but then again, last year in the Giro (and in think in 2021 too) the flat stage breakaway actually won a few times or mess up in the end by looking at eachother. In 2021 a flat stage breakaway won in the Tirreno too. It's not impossible. But I guess sprint teams just simply don't let good riders in the breakaway anymore.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The problem is the process of wildcard teams that get invited. They are expected by the organizers to go in these meaningless brakes or else next year not get invited any more. Without it we would have stages with just peloton on a Sunday ride without a break, and the organizers/UCI would have to do something eventually. But as long as they have wildcard teams to push around there will be no changes.

Quite. Basically they've just yanked him out of his slumber a few weeks prematurely. He did manage to shave his mustache though, unfortunately.

FqoBCqdWIAkgs2Z
There......wolf.......

I'm a fan of Bais Boys breakaways, but they could have made the stage bit more interesting by including the Montalcino sterrato sections (they would of course hve comed too early for them to have any impact, but they would have produced some nice images).

As much as I like sterrato, you can't include it in every race now because otherwise nothing will happen.
In my eyes one solution is to not expect anything and to not watch these stages anymore. Another one is to break the pattern of extreme controlled racing by having less strong teams and less power infos while they ride.

The problem is the process of wildcard teams that get invited. They are expected by the organizers to go in these meaningless brakes or else next year not get invited any more. Without it we would have stages with just peloton on a Sunday ride without a break, and the organizers/UCI would have to do something eventually. But as long as they have wildcard teams to push around there will be no changes.
Not to mention that there's prize money for most kms in the breakaway and everything in RCS races, then the race organizers really don't have to complain if certain riders on wildcard teams target that one.
I remember when the 2011 Zoncolan stage went past my hometown. The breakaway rode at a good pace, but behind it was such a coffee ride tempo that your average weekend warrior could have ridden at the end of the bunch with zero problems...

As much as I like sterrato, you can't include it in every race now because otherwise nothing will happen.
In my eyes one solution is to not expect anything and to not watch these stages anymore. Another one is to break the pattern of extreme controlled racing by having less strong teams and less power infos while they ride.

I don't really have any issues with almsot certain sprint stages, as long as there aren't too many of them in a row.

I think power meters get too much heat, but on the other hand I wouldn't actually mind it if the riders didn't even know how fast they were going and had to ride on intuition and feeling alone. That's what I usually do, which probably also explains why I keep blowing myself up too early :sweatsmile:

Not to mention that there's prize money for most kms in the breakaway and everything in RCS races, then the race organizers really don't have to complain if certain riders on wildcard teams target that one.
I remember when the 2011 Zoncolan stage went past my hometown. The breakaway rode at a good pace, but behind it was such a coffee ride tempo that your average weekend warrior could have ridden at the end of the bunch with zero problems...
If you can sit in the middle of the bunch a lot almost anyone can sit in there for the early hours. I've seen Kuss do like 60W in the peloton