• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tirreno-Adriatico stage 5: Chieti - Colmurano, 234 km

May 6, 2009
Visit site
t05_plan_600.jpg

t05_alt_600.jpg

t05_ukm_600.jpg

t05_s3_600.jpg

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
so has there been a shortage in the stage or no?

if not looks like an epic stage.

Not certain, but I think this might be the changed route:

t05_alt.jpg

Not quite as hard as the original. But will still be tough, at least the sasso tetto is closer to the finish then Forca di Presta. And it looks quite steep.
The last 30-40km are the same.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:

Not quite as hard as the original. But will still be tough, at least the sasso tetto is closer to the finish then Forca di Presta. And it looks quite steep.

I think Timmy's profile is the correct one. But at least the final hill is unchanged. Scarponi will solo to victory again, much to Isso's disappointment :p

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I like gesink's or kirchen's chances at the finish!

97 Kim Kirchen (Lux) Team Katusha 0:13:28

Dissapointing!

lelangue thinks that now ith the adjusted finish that the stage won't be as desscisive or hard. A lot of climbs have been taken out as well!

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:

t05_alt.jpg

Yes - that is the updated profile to the shortened route.

Here is the updated correct course.
5peszo.jpg

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Any given reason why they shortened it? Weather/snow?
From the CyclingNews report on todays stage:

"Fortunately for Androni Giocattoli, Sunday's fifth stage from Chieti to Colmurano has been shortened from 234km to 216km due to poor road conditions after recent bad weather. One of the toughest climbs has been cut out but the stage still ends with a short but 15% gradient climb to the finish."

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
From the CyclingNews report on todays stage:

"Fortunately for Androni Giocattoli, Sunday's fifth stage from Chieti to Colmurano has been shortened from 234km to 216km due to poor road conditions after recent bad weather. One of the toughest climbs has been cut out but the stage still ends with a short but 15% gradient climb to the finish."

It's sad all the climbs were taken out. it was looking to be a ripper. Kimmy kirchen to do the job tonight.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I think it is still a very good stage.
The first 80km is no different, and now we get the biggest climb of the day closer to the finish, which could be a factor. And the finale will still be exiting and tough on the riders after 210km or riding, and yesterday's stage still fresh in their memory..

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
vino is on facebook in french, english and russian.

he said he will attack.

his elbow feels sore after the fall but he said the legs are fine and he will try something.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
the comment i read from maassen is that gesink is perfectly fine and that scarponis effort was too explosive for him.

that certainly limits gesink's opportunities as the final climb is not long enough.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I think it is still a very good stage.
The first 80km is no different, and now we get the biggest climb of the day closer to the finish, which could be a factor. And the finale will still be exiting and tough on the riders after 210km or riding, and yesterday's stage still fresh in their memory..

Yes, still a very tough stage and as with all races it is the riders who dictate how tough it is and the racing in TA has been very aggressive.

I think the Liquigas team will be at the forefront today so either Nibali or Pellizotti.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
They way Scarponi went away yesterday does not make me feel hopeful for Gesink.

i thought the same. He didn't quite seem himself when the acclerations were going on. i think he can do it though. evans said he didn't have it yesterday to go with scarponi.

python said:
the comment i read from maassen is that gesink is perfectly fine and that scarponis effort was too explosive for him.

that certainly limits gesink's opportunities as the final climb is not long enough.
Gesink himself said that given the poor circumstances his result was OK, as did Maassen, but --as you've probably also read-- the Kuurne-like circumstances aren't Gesink's forte.

If life were fair, you'd want Nibali to win today, by the way. Poor guy was passed by everyone and their mother in the final few hundred meters yesterday.

To freshen up the collective memory.

Last year, the Sasso Tetto climb was in as well, and there, with still 40km to go, Nibali, Garzelli, Scarponi and Basso rode away, and stayed away.

If a similar group will ride away again we could see the same scenario. A group with Scarponi, Evans, Gesink, Nibali and Garzelli for instance...

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
To freshen up the collective memory.

Last year, the Sasso Tetto climb was in as well, and there, with still 40km to go, Nibali, Garzelli, Scarponi and Basso rode away, and stayed away.

If a similar group will ride away again we could see the same scenario. A group with Scarponi, Evans, Gesink, Nibali and Garzelli for instance...

Yeah I think it will be a very select group hitting the final couple hills.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Scarponi was so impressive that I wouldn't rule him out for the win today.

He looked so superior, more than just random good legs on the day. He looked a level above and won't lose that overnight.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
and we are live.

27k to go:
Oroaz Ugalde ahead 40s of a 30 man peloton, with all the big names.

Serpa Perez managed to hit the ground again in the descent.

TRENDING THREADS