• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

ToCA top ten list

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Why don't they make a top 5 or a top 3, because there ain't really that much big names at that tour... They probably picked the last few names randomly to fill it up.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
The TOC is **** compared with the giro. Only a race used for preparation for the biggest stars. No real mountains, no world class lineups.

But it is fine little race I will enjoy watching at midnight here in Europe.

I find it funny they put Philip Deignan over Janez Brajkovi, considering the TT. Even if Janez works for Leipheimer, he is still miles better.

Oh well. Who really gives a flying f.ck. I liked the race when it was in february. Now it really comes at the same uninteresting time as the Tour of Catalunya the past few years

What about Cancellara. I know he probably is just coming off his post classics rest, but the climbs aren't overly difficult and the Big Bear stage ends with 10k of flat. It should all come down to the TT, which, IMO, would make him a favourite.

According to this month's CycleSport magazine, the organiser sees it on the level with Romandie, the Dauphiné and the Tour de Suisse. Leipheimer reckons it's on their level and either the Giro or Vuelta should drop to two weeks to accommodate California becoming two weeks (which even Messick is against). Stapleton is ploughing his 'the fourth Grand Tour' furrow.

If it's on a par with the likes of the Dauphiné and the Tour de Suisse, why is half the field from ProConti lineups and why has nobody who is not a) American or b) on an American team expressed a desire to win it? Romandie was won by a Spaniard on a Franco-Spanish team. The Dauphiné was fought out last year between a Spaniard on a Franco-Spanish team and an Australian on a Belgian team. And Cavendish has already demonstrated the stars' attitudes, with his outburst that he wanted to be at the Giro as usual, but the sponsors made the call that he should be at California.

Libertine Seguros said:
According to this month's CycleSport magazine, the organiser sees it on the level with Romandie, the Dauphiné and the Tour de Suisse. Leipheimer reckons it's on their level and either the Giro or Vuelta should drop to two weeks to accommodate California becoming two weeks (which even Messick is against). Stapleton is ploughing his 'the fourth Grand Tour' furrow.

crack-monkey1231931250.jpg

Publicus said:
No. I think everyone knows that regardless of form, he's working for Levi for this one.

But Horner and Brajkovic were also mentioned as contenders. I think the guy just doesn't have any form and JB knows it.

Not to mention some of the names on the list are there strictly b/c of the TT. It's not as if there are any true Mtn top finishes.

Libertine Seguros said:

lol.tour of california is a joke compared to romandie,dauphine or tour de suisse.it's more like tour of turkey.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
According to this month's CycleSport magazine, the organiser sees it on the level with Romandie, the Dauphiné and the Tour de Suisse.

There are Belgian housewives with only a fleeting interest in cycling who would laugh hard after reading that.

I'm dead curious how that race will sustain public awareness once the retire shack has retired, let alone attract genuine quality contenders (and I mean contending contenders) who have no patriotic or sponsorship obligations with the race. It's a nice shadow event for those who prefer to miss the Giro and want to ride themselves in form for better and greater things to come (most of the calendar after the ToC to be frank). And if it was held in a nation that actually cared for the sport it had a great starting point to grow from, but right now where it is in time, on the planet, and on the calendar: good luck.

And if they think they are an argument to take a week out of the Giro or the Vuelta, that's like saying that the NFL should lose a division in both conferences, and make way for the European "NFL" teams.

Insulting and delusional.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Oh well. Who really gives a flying f.ck. I liked the race when it was in february. Now it really comes at the same uninteresting time as the Tour of Catalunya the past few years

Snap. If Eurosport hadn't run a trailer to say it would be starting this weekend, it would have totally slipped my mind. Who cares about a bar of chocolate when you are the proud owner of a golden ticket and are right in the middle of a tour of the Factory?

jens_attacks said:
it's more like tour of turkey.

Ok, that's a bit harsh. Way too many big names(Boonen, Cavendish, Haussler, Armstrong, Cancellara, Leipheimer, Rogers, Schleck, Voigt, etc...)

Libertine has it about right with his Castilla Y Leon comparison.

The big question is: Does Sagan pick up another stage win or has his form finally run out?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Francois the Postman said:
There are Belgian housewives with only a fleeting interest in cycling who would laugh hard after reading that.

Insulting and delusional.

No doubt there will be Belgian housewives watching the EuroSport coverage this year to witness Boonen kicking Cavendish's hieny.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm...

Kender said:
according to Macca (triathlete) the ToC is the second biggest bike race in the world

Why is there so much coverage of the ToC when the Giro is on? Why is the Tour of California even on at the same time as the Giro, can't it be moved back to being an early season warm-up race where it would find more of a following?

C'mon folks lets' keep it in perspective the ToC is just a training race for Le Tour de France contenders and keeping the publicity machine ticking over for American riders.

Even if Lepinheimer (sorry if I misspelt that) wins, what does it matter as he is exteremely unlikely to win the the Tour de France anyway unless several other riders pull out?

Less pushing the tour of California please and more time devoted to the second most important race on the stage race circuit.

Just some random comments from riders preparing for the second biggest race in the world.

Paul Martens:
Lovely Cali, nice weather, cruising through a national park,having a good coffee!!! We enjoy our stay already

Andy Schleck:
Jensi, Jakob Fuglsang and me hanging out in San Jose california pretty cool city!

Lars Boom:
Tonight had the best sushi EVER!!!! It was like a angel was pissing on my tongue.

I wouldn't give this PR hype a second thought, Giro fans.
Clearly Stapleton is trying to boost it's rep so that Cavendish can't be accused of winning any shit races.:D
I really can't be bothered with it, stuck as it is, in the middle of the season's pinnacle event.
It'll be a nice nightcap, after the afternoon's feast. Nothing more.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Sigh...

Let's face it, the sad truth is that it's the biggest stage race in the US (no, not the hardest). It's NOT the Tour or the Giro (or even the Suisse). However, when Europeans continue to **** on the US and US riders, it only proves that they're uninterested in anything outside the Continent. Sadly, the US doesn't support cycling the same way that Europe supports it, but then again, Europe has absurd sports that are well-supported (have you SEEN this?!). Oh, and before you get your hackles up, the US has NASCAR, for which we will properly be eternally humiliated...

The ToC may someday have REAL climbs in the Sierra, but for now, it's the best that the US has and repeatedly denigrating it only shows people for elitists and isolated. Moreover, the UCI and ToC agreed, jointly, to move the race in order to get better weather and get greater involvement and exposure. So, going to that well is just as ignorant and elitist...

Francois the Postman said:
I'm dead curious how that race will sustain public awareness once the retire shack has retired, let alone attract genuine quality contenders (and I mean contending contenders) who have no patriotic or sponsorship obligations with the race. It's a nice shadow event for those who prefer to miss the Giro and want to ride themselves in form for better and greater things to come (most of the calendar after the ToC to be frank). And if it was held in a nation that actually cared for the sport it had a great starting point to grow from, but right now where it is in time, on the planet, and on the calendar: good luck.

And if they think they are an argument to take a week out of the Giro or the Vuelta, that's like saying that the NFL should lose a division in both conferences, and make way for the European "NFL" teams.

I agree with most of the above. I think they should just aspire to possibly one day reach the status of some of the bigger week-long races. No serious year-round cycling fan, American or otherwise, thinks the ToC ranks even in the top 20 of races on the calendar at this point. Anyone who says otherwise either doesn't truly follow the sport or is trying to "sell" the race to sponsors and the public.

I don't think the retirement of GH, LA, and LL will kill the race, but other factors certainly could. The US may not be a cycling nation, but I've been to a few stages and the crowds are absolutely huge.

And I actually don't mind it being during the Giro too much. Like Mellow said, it's like having dessert after the real meal.

Oh yeah, memo to race organizers: This does not count as a mountaintop finish!

14b5l38.jpg