• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Todays idiot masters fattie doper

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
nslckevin said:
Is Weisel associated with Meeker's team? I did not think he was.

Play the "six degrees of separation game" and you'll find Thom was somewhere between Angel investor and part of the team that took Amgen public. Where exactly?? I'm not sure.

The most interesting aspect of the positive is the sanction was secret until it was over. Somehow other athletes were swiftly processed in 2012 and 2013.

What did Meeker do to get the secret sanction?

DirtyWorks said:
What did Meeker do to get the secret sanction?

I think it has to do with lawyers. But he didn't race at all in 2013, which should have raised some red flags to anyone who was paying attention.

Out of curiosity, what's the last year there /wasn't/ a doping positive at masters nats? I know 2010, 2011, and 2012 all had at least one. I didn't follow the sport before 2010.

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Interesting fact: In Horners book "Reading the race" he mentions Rich Meeker is one of his buds and he cut his teeth rolling the circuit with him......

proffate said:
I think it has to do with lawyers. But he didn't race at all in 2013, which should have raised some red flags to anyone who was paying attention.

Out of curiosity, what's the last year there /wasn't/ a doping positive at masters nats? I know 2010, 2011, and 2012 all had at least one. I didn't follow the sport before 2010.

I am guessing that the process and appeals just became final. USADA has 5 days from then to make it public. Perhaps the process finished on Friday and Meeker put his release out to get ahead of things.

The positives at masters nationals are disturbing. Up until 2011 testing at masters nationals was very spotty. Very few people got tested. In 2011 though all of the TT and RR winners got tested. In 2012 1st and 2nd in the TT and RR got tested. In 2013 the winner of the TT and RR and a few "randoms" got tested. From what I saw the "randoms" in 2013 were not really that random at all. They had people in mind. In 2011 and 2012 they did not test at the criterium. I don't know about 2013 as I left after the road races.

Anyway, though I find it disturbing that there have been so many positives, keep in mind that they are testing a crap ton (relatively) of people. Maybe as many as 24 people each in the TT and RR in 2012.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there's nothing as sadly pathetic as old men cheating to win a Washed Up National Championship.

They don't love the sport. They love their overinflated image of being 'pro', and the idea that they 'coulda been a contender' if they had the balls to try it before they were past their prime.

nslckevin said:
I am guessing that the process and appeals just became final. USADA has 5 days from then to make it public. Perhaps the process finished on Friday and Meeker put his release out to get ahead of things.

The positives at masters nationals are disturbing. Up until 2011 testing at masters nationals was very spotty. Very few people got tested. In 2011 though all of the TT and RR winners got tested. In 2012 1st and 2nd in the TT and RR got tested. In 2013 the winner of the TT and RR and a few "randoms" got tested. From what I saw the "randoms" in 2013 were not really that random at all. They had people in mind. In 2011 and 2012 they did not test at the criterium. I don't know about 2013 as I left after the road races.

Anyway, though I find it disturbing that there have been so many positives, keep in mind that they are testing a crap ton (relatively) of people. Maybe as many as 24 people each in the TT and RR in 2012.

That is positive progress. But then again, back to the IQ test, OOC tests are the effective ones. No doubt even pathetic fattie masters will know to have it out of their system by race day.

I'm afraid we live in a time when credible sporting performances are a thing of the past, at any level and it's sad. Too many PED's are readily available.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
D-Queued said:
One down. How many more to go?

With plans to race state-side next year, just wondering what finish position I should be targeting as a legitimate result. ;)

Dave.

Top 10 will be tough without teammates. Depends on your skilz... Cracking sprint and it's possible to win crits clean. I've seen it done.

Anything else, forget it.

This thing is just so effing pathetic. The respondent, a 51 year old male that's been racing as an amateur for 35 years....

D-Queued said:
One down. How many more to go?

Dave, Dave, Dave..... This is U.S. cycling. Thom Wiesel is ok with doping as long as you are winning.

I will return to amateur cycling competition in September 2014, and will prove through my results that I have always raced clean.”

Not kidding.
http://cyclingillustrated.com/2013/11/amateur-cyclist-richard-meeker-responds-suspension/

Because you know those steroids just fell into his whey powder.....

Again, visit a couple of body building forums and you too can go red-hot positive on supplements easily sourced in the U.S. This is low-IQ doping which is why Meeker got caught.

This clown is a lying sack. The arbitration decision has interesting details. The contaminated supplement he produced contained DHEA as well as the substance he tested positive for. USADA had his urine retested for DHEA and found none. His Endurolytes were bought in 2008, which would make it impossible to find a bottle from the same batch. And what was actually contaminated was a mysterious white powder at the bottom of the bottle. He claimed capsules must have broken open but there was enough powder to fill 36 capsules and there were no broken capsules. He sent a bunch of supplements to be tested, and after those tested clean he sent in more that he had "forgotten about". Those happened to be contaminated with mystery powder. Sounds legit.

DirtyWorks said:
Dave, Dave, Dave..... This is U.S. cycling. Thom Wiesel is ok with doping as long as you are winning.

I will return to amateur cycling competition in September 2014, and will prove through my results that I have always raced clean.”

Not kidding.
http://cyclingillustrated.com/2013/11/amateur-cyclist-richard-meeker-responds-suspension/

Because you know those steroids just fell into his whey powder.....

Again, visit a couple of body building forums and you too can go red-hot positive on supplements easily sourced in the U.S. This is low-IQ doping which is why Meeker got caught.

(Setting aside that it is impossible to prove a nullity) How does one prove through results that they are clean?

Pulled and/or DNF constantly? Always on the wrong side of the cut-off? Cannot corner without breaking the yellow line rule? Downgraded to Cat 5?

Dave.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
D-Queued said:
(Setting aside that it is impossible to prove a nullity) How does one prove through results that they are clean?

Pulled and/or DNF constantly? Always on the wrong side of the cut-off? Cannot corner without breaking the yellow line rule? Downgraded to Cat 5?

Dave.

That part of his statement was code for "I'll be far more careful with my programme... "

Most socal masters races are 35+, 45+ and 55+. I think the 55s are relatively clean group as the level of competition there just isn't very high, the field sizes are pretty small, the races are short and take place at the *** crack of dawn. The 35s and 45s glow much brighter despite the midday sun.

Still, I don't believe it's fair to paint all the racers or even race winners with the same brush. OK, almost all the 35+ winners, but maybe only 50% of the 45+ winners, and probably 15% of the 55+ winners. (No proof, just my gut feeling.)

proffate said:
Still, I don't believe it's fair to paint all the racers or even race winners with the same brush.

This is to Dave's point and absolutely true. Many guys are not doping. My comment was probably not worded well. It wasn't meant like "every oldster dopes." It was more fail the IQ test and then make stuff up to pretend you weren't on a number of banned PED's as the decision notes.

proffate said:
OK, almost all the 35+ winners, but maybe only 50% of the 45+ winners, and probably 15% of the 55+ winners. (No proof, just my gut feeling.)

You started with generous post, then tear it all down???? Now I'm confused.

BroDeal said:
... And what was actually contaminated was a mysterious white powder at the bottom of the bottle.

Ohh yeah. That happens ALL THE TIME on packing lines. Yeah, those containers are moving so slowly with line workers milling around sprinkling DHEA the packer got for free just because that's what a packing plant does to a customer's prized supplement formula. You know, helping them out...

Uh huh.:rolleyes:

Almost as bad as the ephemeral twin. Almost.

proffate said:
Most socal masters races are 35+, 45+ and 55+. I think the 55s are relatively clean group as the level of competition there just isn't very high, the field sizes are pretty small, the races are short and take place at the *** crack of dawn. The 35s and 45s glow much brighter despite the midday sun.

Still, I don't believe it's fair to paint all the racers or even race winners with the same brush. OK, almost all the 35+ winners, but maybe only 50% of the 45+ winners, and probably 15% of the 55+ winners. (No proof, just my gut feeling.)

Had the opportunity to race in Europe earlier this year.

'Relatively' clean? Maybe.

Definitely not all clean.

Mid-life crisis doesn't hit until your 40s, and further age can bring even more disposable income to buy whatever you want. Nice watches, fancy cars, young women... that cannot be their daughters. The picture isn't complete without a little juice.

Given their typically lower incomes and hungry mouths to feed, you can almost feel sorry for the Master 30's whose doping creates family conflicts.

Looks like 21st place is my goal!

Dave.

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Problem is we don't know its all speculation. Some educated researched speculation, but still not 100% certainty. Did he have a banned substance in his urine? Yes. Therefore he has been sanctioned. Seems to me the whole issue here is not a refusal of guilt but a rejection of intent. Looks like a lot of time, money and trouble to defend "intent". Add to this the absurdity of the product choice and an unblemished career, I'm not ready to throw him under the bus. From the AAA report it does look like he's guilty of a desperate mix of supplements to eke out every second at least.

Please give up on the "all masters are doping" crap. Most racers who say that just seem to be looking for their own excuses.

Bertie said:
Add to this the absurdity of the product choice and an unblemished career, I'm not ready to throw him under the bus.

what unblemished career? This was his first drug control. He's one for one.

Also if you read the AAA decision, it's pretty clear he mixed in his drugs with Hammer products before sending them to a lab for contamination testing.