• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Todays idiot masters fattie doper

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
So because the system is not perfect you think it should be abandoned altogether?

What would happen if there was no WADA or NADOs?

Juniors? I shudder to think of the consequences.

Not at all, obviously there has to be some attempt made to rid the sport of doping. I'm just making the observation of how futile it appears at times. It's a complicated situation....you've got pro riders with non existent job security and no power base, teams who struggle with continuity in sponsorship, race owners losing money (except for ASO), a fed up public who laughs at us, yet enjoys the beauty of the sport and a messed up situation with WADA and NADO's who can't seem to provide any clarity or consistency of enforcement, witness this joke going on with Froome.

And yet we're gonna bust every damn old guy out there!

U.S. Triathlon Athlete Michael Meacham Accepts Sanction for Anti-Doping Rule Violation

Meacham, 42, tested positive for methenolone and its metabolites, as well as exogenous boldenone, following an out-of-competition urine sample he provided on August 19, 2017.

During USADA’s investigation into the circumstances of the case, Meacham also admitted that, beginning in November 2013, he had periodically used additional prohibited substances. But because of the substantial assistance provided that led to the discovery and bringing forward of a criminal offense, Meacham’s one-year period of ineligibility was reduced from four years.

Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
U.S. Triathlon Athlete Michael Meacham Accepts Sanction for Anti-Doping Rule Violation

Meacham, 42, tested positive for methenolone and its metabolites, as well as exogenous boldenone, following an out-of-competition urine sample he provided on August 19, 2017.

During USADA’s investigation into the circumstances of the case, Meacham also admitted that, beginning in November 2013, he had periodically used additional prohibited substances. But because of the substantial assistance provided that led to the discovery and bringing forward of a criminal offense, Meacham’s one-year period of ineligibility was reduced from four years.

Just noticed that the title of this thread is “idiot”, does it need to be changed?

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Granville57 said:
Yay! I get to bump the dooshbag Hall of Fame thread!

http://www.usada.org/media/sanction-leduc123013

David LeDuc, 62, tested positive for the presence of a steroid of exogenous origin, recombinant human erythropoietin (“rhEPO”) and amphetamine, a prohibited stimulant, as the result of an in-competition urine sample collected on September 6, 2013 at the Masters Road National Championships in Bend, Ore.

How I hate this sport. Let me count the ways...:rolleyes:

Did he return to racing?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mpcc-to-meet-with-wada-chief-reedie-news-shorts/
USADA has given a four-year ban to a masters cyclist, Steven Strickler, after the Californian tested positive under USA Cycling's amateur anti-doping programme. The 58-year-old was tested at the Dana Point Grand Prix 55+ race and returned a sample that was positive for an exogenous anabolic agent on April 29, 2018.

Strickler’s suspension began on June 8, 2018, and his results from April 29, 2018 were annulled.

https://www.usada.org/steven-strickler-receives-doping-sanction/
Strickler, 58, was subject to testing due to his membership in USA Cycling, which maintains the RaceClean Program that works to fight doping in the sport of cycling. The goal of the RaceClean Program is to increase testing and education to provide greater doping deterrence and is executed through member funding, donations, and local association partnerships.

Strickler tested positive for an anabolic agent from an in-competition urine sample collected on April 29, 2018, at the Dana Point Grand Prix. His urine sample was analyzed using a specialized test that differentiates between anabolic-androgenic steroids naturally produced by the body and prohibited anabolic agents of external origin. Anabolic agents have powerful performance-enhancing capabilities and can give an athlete an unfair advantage over fellow competitors.

The use of any exogenous anabolic agent is prohibited at all times under the USADA Protocol for Olympic and Paralympic Movement Testing, the United States Olympic Committee National Anti-Doping Policies, and the International Cycling Union Anti-Doping Rules, all of which have adopted the World Anti-Doping Code and the World Anti-Doping Agency Prohibited List.

Strickler’s four-year period of ineligibility began on June 8, 2018, the date his provisional suspension was imposed. In addition, Strickler has been disqualified from all competitive results obtained on and subsequent to April 29, 2018, the date his positive sample was collected, including forfeiture of any medals, points and prizes.

Todays entry in the hall of shame. Masters Downhill/Enduro local racer goes full-re tard. :rolleyes:
I love this thread, and I love that so many of the positives come from those hoodlums in Southern CA.

Thanks Travis for making our sport better and safer. I think we are all relieved to know that a 50+ guy racing downhill over roots and rocks while risking life and limb has been prevented from taking all those performance enhancers and making his weekends even riskier. I had no idea masters downhill mtn biking had such huge fields. I'm sure all of his many competitors are glad there is an even playing field now. Well done Travis.

What a strange world we live in.

Reactions: yaco
Thanks Travis for making our sport better and safer. I think we are all relieved to know that a 50+ guy racing downhill over roots and rocks while risking life and limb has been prevented from taking all those performance enhancers and making his weekends even riskier. I had no idea masters downhill mtn biking had such huge fields. I'm sure all of his many competitors are glad there is an even playing field now. Well done Travis.

What a strange world we live in.
TBF this clown was also racing Enduro, and at a high masters level. I have no issues with ADA's going after idiots like this, people just want to enjoy racing, safely, then you get walking pharmacies ruining it. Considering the cost per test it must have been fairly common knowledge this guy was on stuff.

I don't disagree with you that folks like this should be removed from the sport.

My sarcasm is directed at Travis and his holier than thou attitude about all the good he doing for those "clean athletes who desire a level playing field".

You piqued my interest so I went to the USADA website to see what Travis has been up to these past few years. From the date of this clown's sanction to the beginning of 2019, there have been 15 positive tests in the sport of cycling and guess what, they are all masters! I know two of them were 37 or so but they were racing masters stuff plus there was an 80 yr old woman and a 90 yr old guy.

Is this really what any of us want or expected with the push for clean cycling? My view is that I would love to see the pro side cleaned up, but it difficult to do and requires a little more dedication, money and smarts then I think we are seeing when USADA busts 15 masters over a 2 yr period.

I mean, really any of us who have raced as masters, deep you down you have to admit it was a selfish, egotistical endeavor. I'm not belittling the dedication and hard work that it takes to be successful as a master, just pointing out we are and always will be the sideshow.

I don't disagree with you that folks like this should be removed from the sport.

My sarcasm is directed at Travis and his holier than thou attitude about all the good he doing for those "clean athletes who desire a level playing field".

You piqued my interest so I went to the USADA website to see what Travis has been up to these past few years. From the date of this clown's sanction to the beginning of 2019, there have been 15 positive tests in the sport of cycling and guess what, they are all masters! I know two of them were 37 or so but they were racing masters stuff plus there was an 80 yr old woman and a 90 yr old guy.

Is this really what any of us want or expected with the push for clean cycling? My view is that I would love to see the pro side cleaned up, but it difficult to do and requires a little more dedication, money and smarts then I think we are seeing when USADA busts 15 masters over a 2 yr period.

I mean, really any of us who have raced as masters, deep you down you have to admit it was a selfish, egotistical endeavor. I'm not belittling the dedication and hard work that it takes to be successful as a master, just pointing out we are and always will be the sideshow.
You make all of the right points with exception of suggesting USADA is actively seeking Masters dopers instead of pursuing cleanup in the Pro peloton. Most of the Master's busts occur because the offenders are blatant cheats and their peers alert local authorities. That most are caught at out of competition testing would also indicate it is partially by chance.
That Masters in their later years are also probably taking hormones recommended by their doctors so they can, you know; live. That they don't understand the rules and that taking enhancements is verboten regardless of age is another random element.

Having an attitude towards Tygart is going to waste time and make you angrier, though.

Reactions: joe_papp
My attitude with Travis stems from his press releases......after all this is the same guy who proclaimed to us he had busted "the most sophisticated doping program ever"............all the while the Telecom guys are using the University of Freiburg and the local hospital for all their doping stuff, but "the most sophisticated program ever" is faking a breakdown with the team bus so the guys can get their blood bags.

I will call BS when I see it. The whole thing is just too silly for words.

Pontiac is 100% correct - NADO's waste a disproportionate amount of money and resources on 'weekend warriors' who are easy targets - Of course you can then say you are doing a good job ! Also study the USADA sanctions for doping athletes - They are known for accepting wild and wacky excuses to reduce sanctions.

Reactions: Pontiac

Devil's advocate - how often do high level WT pros race in the USA, with it being a main target? It's basically ToC and maybe Utah. They may also do the occasional training camp in Colorado but that's it.

This really leaves a couple of Pro Conti teams and the North American Conti teams. Not a big pool.

My attitude with Travis stems from his press releases......after all this is the same guy who proclaimed to us he had busted "the most sophisticated doping program ever"............all the while the Telecom guys are using the University of Freiburg and the local hospital for all their doping stuff, but "the most sophisticated program ever" is faking a breakdown with the team bus so the guys can get their blood bags.

I will call BS when I see it. The whole thing is just too silly for words.
Does USADA authority extend to Germany? I thought Tygart was policing the Bay Area Cooperative and Thom Weisel's gasser express. That would keep any zealot busy.

Pontiac is 100% correct - NADO's waste a disproportionate amount of money and resources on 'weekend warriors' who are easy targets - Of course you can then say you are doing a good job ! Also study the USADA sanctions for doping athletes - They are known for accepting wild and wacky excuses to reduce sanctions.
Again....USADA doesn't need to waste much money busting the Weekenders. Their peers alert the authorities and they get to p*ss in a bottle. I raced with LeDuc that year and there wasn't a tester in sight. He got caught by his neighborhood peers....USADA's budget didn't suffer for that. LeDuc had been on his program for decades according to NC locals, too. Not hard to spot that kind of Glow in the Dark.

Reactions: joe_papp
Again....USADA doesn't need to waste much money busting the Weekenders. Their peers alert the authorities and they get to p*ss in a bottle. I raced with LeDuc that year and there wasn't a tester in sight. He got caught by his neighborhood peers....USADA's budget didn't suffer for that. LeDuc had been on his program for decades according to NC locals, too. Not hard to spot that kind of Glow in the Dark.

Well, well...I guess we probably know each then.....I raced against him that last year as well and I have a distinct memory of waiting in line at the porta potty before the last race, the crit. He came out and walked by, I said Hi Dave and he has this 1,000 yd stare going on. I was keyed into the race and really didn't think about until later and said to my self......jeez, I remember seeing that look when I raced in Europe as a kid, guys who were all hyped up on speed. I just brushed it off at the time, said nah, not a 60 yr old guy doing that stuff! It was only later when he got caught for speed, epo and steroids, I said oh my, oh my!

The thing that bugs me about Travis is his self righteousness......maybe I'm reading too much into it, but his pronouncements after busting LA and the others, including a number of European guys....Johan, the spanish doc and I think there were a few others as well.....it just comes across as this guy trying to save the sport from itself...like he was the one who was going to fix this international mess we have.

And then the way he has chased after Horner, years after he won the Vuelta and had stopped racing, when I looked it was 6 tests in a matter of months.....just struck me as vengeful and trying to get back at Horner since he apparently couldn't nail him when he got LA and the rest of them.

The sport has such a long and sordid history with doping and it will take generations for it to clean up , if it ever does. Travis just strikes me as another self righteous American do gooder out to fix all the world's problems.

Yep, I will admit it is a cynical view point, but my experience in the sport won't allow anything else! I'll stick with having a few extra pounds and just riding around for fun. BTW, LeDuc took all that stuff and sucked that last year, I beat him in all 3 races....go figure!

Reactions: yaco and veganrob
Well, well...I guess we probably know each then.....I raced against him that last year as well and I have a distinct memory of waiting in line at the porta potty before the last race, the crit. He came out and walked by, I said Hi Dave and he has this 1,000 yd stare going on. I was keyed into the race and really didn't think about until later and said to my self......jeez, I remember seeing that look when I raced in Europe as a kid, guys who were all hyped up on speed. I just brushed it off at the time, said nah, not a 60 yr old guy doing that stuff! It was only later when he got caught for speed, epo and steroids, I said oh my, oh my!

The thing that bugs me about Travis is his self righteousness......maybe I'm reading too much into it, but his pronouncements after busting LA and the others, including a number of European guys....Johan, the spanish doc and I think there were a few others as well.....it just comes across as this guy trying to save the sport from itself...like he was the one who was going to fix this international mess we have.

And then the way he has chased after Horner, years after he won the Vuelta and had stopped racing, when I looked it was 6 tests in a matter of months.....just struck me as vengeful and trying to get back at Horner since he apparently couldn't nail him when he got LA and the rest of them.

The sport has such a long and sordid history with doping and it will take generations for it to clean up , if it ever does. Travis just strikes me as another self righteous American do gooder out to fix all the world's problems.

Yep, I will admit it is a cynical view point, but my experience in the sport won't allow anything else! I'll stick with having a few extra pounds and just riding around for fun. BTW, LeDuc took all that stuff and sucked that last year, I beat him in all 3 races....go figure!
Great to hear the blow by blow for the Duc and congratulations on still enjoying the sport after a long career. Again; he sucked at Bend and still got tested so I'd wager USADA didn't waste alot of resources. I'd suggest that someone singled him out. You'd need to do that since most of the budget goes to popping LA based crit dudes.

As for Tygart being "another self righteous American do gooder" do you prefer the former UCI management that was in business with a 7 Tour fraud?

Great to hear the blow by blow for the Duc and congratulations on still enjoying the sport after a long career. Again; he sucked at Bend and still got tested so I'd wager USADA didn't waste alot of resources. I'd suggest that someone singled him out. You'd need to do that since most of the budget goes to popping LA based crit dudes.

As for Tygart being "another self righteous American do gooder" do you prefer the former UCI management that was in business with a 7 Tour fraud?

Well, I think they were there in Bend and testing just the winners, don't recall, but I know I never got tested as a master, despite numerous medals. So I have no doubt it was a "random test" that got him, LOL!

I don't know if I could make a choice or distinction between the UCI numbskulls and Travis.....all I know the sport used to be much more fun to follow and had a lot more sponsors than before LA got busted.

Right or wrong, I guess it is an attitude of this is an effed up sport, but at least it is our effed up sport. After watching all the attempts at cleaning things up after LA, the L'Equipe stories, Puerto, the Truth and Reconciliation, the Reasoned Decision, Oprah, Cookson, Lapartiente, Jorg Jascke, the Zabel tears, Dr. Freeman......ah jeez, who am I missing here? We all know it is effed up and it is unlikely to ever change, so let the show go on. Here in the US we have busted 15 masters for doping over the last 2 years and no one else. Can we stop pretending we are accomplishing anything in the fight against doping?

I know it's a pretty terrible attitude to have.....what about the kids? what about fairness in sports? all that stuff........Anybody got any ideas?

Reactions: yaco

This^^^

Tygart is in charge of the United States Anti Doping Authority. He can't help it if domestic pros aren't testing positive and stupid masters are. He also has no authority over foreign licence holders unless they race in the USA, and how often is that happening ATM?

Sounds like your grudge should be with WADA and it's past administrations.

This^^^

Tygart is in charge of the United States Anti Doping Authority. He can't help it if domestic pros aren't testing positive and stupid masters are. He also has no authority over foreign licence holders unless they race in the USA, and how often is that happening ATM?

Sounds like your grudge should be with WADA and it's past administrations.
I've got no grudge with USADA. They've busted chronic Masters dopers in our neighborhood as well. Each was turned out by peers or a random test at Natz. They did chase Horner all over Oregon but never managed to catch up with him. Out of cell service area....alot.

TRENDING THREADS