• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Todays idiot masters fattie doper

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Bro-pure comedy Gold but sadly too true.
At last night's regular race track series we did the route that includes a hill. The promoter only uses it several times a season because the attendance goes down to less than half in....wait for it....ALL CATAGORIES. Seems the local Cat "1,2" guys that lobbying for their upgrades, rather than winning their eligibility hate hills also. Tom Peterson/Garmin showed up and left the field behind. Maybe the rest could learn from him.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
Bro-pure comedy Gold but sadly too true.
At last night's regular race track series we did the route that includes a hill. The promoter only uses it several times a season because the attendance goes down to less than half in....wait for it....ALL CATAGORIES. Seems the local Cat "1,2" guys that Lobby for their upgrades, rather than winning their eligibility hate hills also. Tom Peterson/Garmin showed up and left the field behind. Maybe the rest could learn from him.

That is another story in itself. I remember the days when you had to win races to get upgrades. I would bet that most USAC Cat 1 racers have never won a P-1/2 race. Somehow the number of Cat 1 racers rose from about 150 in 1990, to 1000 in 1996. Must have been a bunch of guys that had freinds wearing blue shirts at the races on the weekends.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
zigmeister said:
Better to be a poster on the Clinic rather than get out there, keep in shape, compete and still be active in life. Much more productive and useful this way.

Because it's impossible to spend 10 minutes on a message board and squeeze in a bike ride.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
http://nyvelocity.com/content/features/2012/david-anthony-tests-positive

Doping with EPO to win your age group at a Gran Fondo. Really?

On May 20th David Anthony won the men’s 45-9 division in the Gran Fondo New York, and was subjected to a drug test

[...]

The BH/Comedy Central team apologizes to the community for results unfairly taken, and for not catching this sooner despite the many warning signs that we now recognize in retrospect

Next year, they'll organize a Granny Fondo. To enter you will need a couple of TUEs...

Interesting comment on the article.

When you start to assume that everyone you're racing against is also shelling out for private coaching and the fastest equipment money can buy, doping might start to look less like an aberration and more like a logical next step."

It is even worse in triathlon. Almost everyone who is serious has at least one coach.

DirtyWorks said:

This is funny and ironic - especially given the headlines.

Not meant as a thread diversion: But, do you think they showed up at the county fair in anticipation of an appeal by Armstrong et al that USADA is fixated on Lance?

In that context, this is really, really funny. That Travis guy is really, really smart.

Moreover, what will the real inspiration and the real legacy be of all of those yellow stained jerseys?

In terms of Fatty, Masters Dopers this is no surprise whatsoever.

Have money, have mid-life crisis, cycling is your answer. You can buy success.

There was recently some surprise OOC testing of a masters team in Canada. Looking at the Palmares, no surprise. But, it was a masters team?

Either another indication that some folks read these threads, or that we are simply really good at stating the bleeding obvious.

Dave.

D-Queued said:
Have money, have mid-life crisis, cycling is your answer. You can buy success.

Did you get USAC's sponsor presentation too? They understand their customers very well.

D-Queued said:
There was recently some surprise OOC testing of a masters team in Canada. Looking at the Palmares, no surprise. But, it was a masters team?

It was described to me by a Canadian cyclist as an Elite level Canadian team with an ex-UCI ProTour doper working for Garneau and racing too.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I stopped reading for a moment when I got to this comment:

Flo Wing Mon, 07/23/2012 -
By: Giacomo Dry Lube
Mon, 07/23/2012 - 6:04pm

Flo Wing Mon, 07/23/2012 - 5:21pm,

Believe me, it's not just in NYC. I'm sure you have no shortage of Anti-Aging clinics in NYC. That's the smart way to dope. David Anthony got caught being stupid.

The sport's culture, even at the weekend warrior level is broken. It was broken 20 years ago and I don't miss it.

For some reason, USAC escapes doing anything at all about it too. Maybe because the most active members as well as the board of directors (Tailwind inc.) are part of the problem?

Pretty much sums it up, I think.

And then I started reading again and saw this comment from Andy Shen:

By: Andy Shen
Mon, 07/23/2012 - 5:24pm

To be honest I can understand a pro doping. That's why I can be friends with Floyd. Even LeMond said that he's glad EPO wasn't around when he started, 'cause he was so driven he doesn't know what he would've done.

What ****es me off is the lying and the hypocrisy, and in LA's case the intimidation, forcing teammates to get 'on the program', etc. Hopefully that comes through in Toto, if not, then we didn't do a good enough job communicating that.

So while this is an awful day, it doesn't sting in that way.

Interesting comment from Lemond. Does anyone know if he really said that?

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
http://nyvelocity.com/content/features/2012/david-anthony-tests-positive

Doping with EPO to win your age group at a Gran Fondo. Really?

Absolutely sadly hilarious and pathetic......

Grand Fondo, local crit, nationals road race, whenever you have a middle aged AMATEUR cyclist doping something is broken, seriously broken.

I am so glad I have found love in just riding/racing a bike again. This really used to get under my skin, now I just find it amusingly entertaining in a really morbid way.

DirtyWorks said:

It was described to me by a Canadian cyclist as an Elite level Canadian team with an ex-UCI ProTour doper working for Garneau and racing too.

Maybe there is more than one such team?

... either way, let's just say that they are an obvious target independent of any positive result...

Unrelated, but a now known doper once confided that he was thinking about riding in/for Canada... as it was 'much friendlier'.

None of these folks have apparently ever heard of Ben Johnson. Fortunately, he was an isolated case, and there has been no doping in Canada before or since.

Dave.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
I liked this quote from the race organizer:

"Plus, the announcement of testing before the event kept away notorious cheaters."

So, they only caught the "lite" middle-aged amateur dopers.

Kennf1 said:

"Plus, the announcement of testing before the event kept away notorious cheaters."

These were the guys that have been using Ferrari, and were sure that they would go undetected.

Dave.

Kennf1 said:

The frustrating thing for me is on another forum where there appear to be some more active USAC riders, just mentioning the fact that EPO is cheap and widely available fired off a chorus of strident denial.

Since I'm pretty pessimistic about this topic, I interpreted their nonsense to mean they know it very well and some probably using.

DirtyWorks said:
The frustrating thing for me is on another forum where there appear to be some more active USAC riders, just mentioning the fact that EPO is cheap and widely available fired off a chorus of strident denial.

Since I'm pretty pessimistic about this topic, I interpreted their nonsense to mean they know it very well and some probably using.

Maybe why a certain percentage of amateur racers are surprisingly ambivalent on the question of LA being prosecuted. Omerta extends down to the masters level. Ever wonder why most of the successful masters these days seem to be Drs or lawyers or other successful professional people with a large amount of discretionary income?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Saw this(Gran Fondo/EPO) on FB and thought I would scoop you guys with it, but RR beat me to it. Amazing guys would do this, just to be what...the fastest up a climb that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Was a fun ride, and I did pretty well in my age group and over all but to think people used EPO to do it with, it's just well amazing. To quote Ricky Waters "For who, for what?"

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
spetsa said:
That is another story in itself. I remember the days when you had to win races to get upgrades. I would bet that most USAC Cat 1 racers have never won a P-1/2 race. Somehow the number of Cat 1 racers rose from about 150 in 1990, to 1000 in 1996. Must have been a bunch of guys that had freinds wearing blue shirts at the races on the weekends.

It's unfortunately epidemic and part of the reason guys will try anything to get an upgrade. We have Cat I's in our neighborhood that never won a Cat 2 race or saw the podium. Used to be you had to podium in a Pro Am race of qualified distance to even get points for an upgrade and they didn't carry over to the next season. Hanging in a field got you nowhere. I'm sure the Grand Fondo gearheads have the same high benchmark for their frail egos.

Oldman said:
It's unfortunately epidemic and part of the reason guys will try anything to get an upgrade. We have Cat I's in our neighborhood that never won a Cat 2 race or saw the podium. Used to be you had to podium in a Pro Am race of qualified distance to even get points for an upgrade and they didn't carry over to the next season. Hanging in a field got you nowhere. I'm sure the Grand Fondo gearheads have the same high benchmark for their frail egos.

And to think, decades ago, that I refused to upgrade from Cat 4 until I reached the mandatory limit...

...I must be an idiot.

Maybe I should have taken up the offer when someone said, "Do you need any help".

(Oh, and I have left out how this turned out so that everyone should feel free to jest about how I have since been downgraded to a Cat 5 and still haven't managed to get out based upon experience - cuz I think personal experience is always funny on these forums).

Dave.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
And to think, decades ago, that I refused to upgrade from Cat 4 until I reached the mandatory limit...

...I must be an idiot.

Maybe I should have taken up the offer when someone said, "Do you need any help".

(Oh, and I have left out how this turned out so that everyone should feel free to jest about how I have since been downgraded to a Cat 5 and still haven't managed to get out based upon experience - cuz I think personal experience is always funny on these forums).

Dave.

I would question your self-preservation instincts if you still race Cat 5; not your integrity of sense of humor.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Wasn't there an awesome tear-up of masters racers a year or year and a half ago.

I remember getting some heat for my disdain of it.

Probably worth finding the thread...

Apparently my "loser ******-bag" label keeps it's relevancy in regards to some...

TRENDING THREADS