• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Todays idiot masters fattie doper

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
All the true cases of more money than talent do triathlon. Where else can you pay $700 for a single race entry and convince yourself that it's a minor part of the overall cost?

Plus, you only need to be pretty good at three things rather than really good at one thing.

That may have been a bit mean...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
Plus, you only need to be pretty good at three things rather than really good at one thing.

That may have been a bit mean...

Actually I think you're being generous. Most tridonts I've met are good at one thing...self-delusion. If they are pretty good at two things they will turn pro.

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
Random Direction said:
Kind of like the old fattie master that I passed yesterday who was riding an expense Discovery Channel Trek. Me - riding a rebuilt Rocky Mountain mtb and hauling my kid up a hill on a trail-a-bike (damn, those are good for a resistance workout). Too much money, no engine.

Thats really funny. I've never raced at all but I'll go out of my way to pass any chump with a fancy bike or a team kit. I like doing it wearing flip flops but with a kid in tow it must be even sweeter.

Raul Ramaya said:
"He trained 16 to 20 hours a week and spent several thousand dollars each month on race entry fees and transportation to events. He also slept in a $4,000 hypoxic altitude tent, which pro cyclists commonly use to legally increase the production of red blood cells."

holy cr**p!!

Average race entry of $30 plus $10 for each additional race on the day. If I am not mistaken the average month contains approximately 4 weeks, no? So that would be 4 weekends of racing. If he did 4 races a day that would be $30+ $10+ $10 + $10 or $60 per day * 8 days is $480 per month. So I guess I'm not sure how he gets to "several thousand dollars a month in entry fees" but I wish he would bring his checkbook and come do my races.:rolleyes:

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
ever notice that it is the same posters complaining about people on top end bikes and at the same time telling us how fit they are compared? same here as on other threads. outed

Hugh Januss said:
Average race entry of $30 plus $10 for each additional race on the day. If I am not mistaken the average month contains approximately 4 weeks, no? So that would be 4 weekends of racing. If he did 4 races a day that would be $30+ $10+ $10 + $10 or $60 per day * 8 days is $480 per month. So I guess I'm not sure how he gets to "several thousand dollars a month in entry fees" but I wish he would bring his checkbook and come do my races.:rolleyes:

Trying to figure that one out myself. Being eligible to ride 4 races in a day is a real stretch as well. You're lucky if you can get 3.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
Trying to figure that one out myself. Being eligible to ride 4 races in a day is a real stretch as well. You're lucky if you can get 3.

and trasnportation costs. If you fly or hire a fancy car that's going to add expense. Then add accommodation, etc. 1 Gran Fondo and 2 night's accommodation for me and SO = $500 in a month's time, not including car depreciation, fuel, etc.

Not defending the guy, but it's plausible.

People of his ilk tend to remember the most expensive week of racing and multiply x 4 and tout that as their typical month.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:

I'm not getting that. The park races generally run off two within minutes of each other and then two more when they are more or less done. Usually one is by category and the other is a Masters. So you can do two with no issues but three is unlikely given some setups and four unless they changed the set-up in the last year @ NYC I doubt it. As for the road races it's possible to find a combo where one qualifies for an early race finishes and there is another race waiting by doing a Masters/Cat. combo I guess but it seems far fetched any way you look at it.

MacRoadie said:

He's Cat 2, 45-49. Maybe (!) he can regularly get two Masters races (30+, 40+), plus one category.

Unless there are regular Cat 2/3 or Cat 1/2/3 combos, on top of a Cat 1/2, four races is highly unlikely.

Even so, if you are racing Cat 1/2, how many more races would you be interested in?

Even with all the drugs, how many Cat 1/2 races would he finish at four races/day?

Dave.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
He's Cat 2, 45-49. Maybe (!) he can regularly get two Masters races (30+, 40+), plus one category.

Unless there are regular Cat 2/3 or Cat 1/2/3 combos, on top of a Cat 1/2, four races is highly unlikely.

Even so, if you are racing Cat 1/2, how many more races would you be interested in?

Even with all the drugs, how many Cat 1/2 races would he finish at four races/day?

Dave.

To the last sentence, where I live it seems to be quite common at crits. There are a handful of guys that will do the 45+ 1/2 race followed by the 35+ 1/2 race and then the P 1/2 race with 10 minutes rest in between. The real kicker is when someone wins the 45's gets 3rd in the 35's and then top 20 in the P 1/2's, ahead of some conti pros. If these guys were former world class cyclists who simply maintained a high level of fitness, it could be understood, but when they were cat 3's 5 years ago, all you can do is shake your head. I always thought that when I turned 40, masters racng may be something to do for fun, but I have quickly found out that fun isn't the purpose of its existencce around here.

D-Queued said:

Dave.

That's what I'm saying. That's my deal too.

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:

It's got to be travel expenses - presumably 5 star hotel for drives of greater than 1 hour :)

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
oldschoolnik said:
"David Anthony didn’t think they’d test him. It was a gran fondo, and he didn’t win. He’d never been tested before. Why now?"

More:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012...relevance-a-cat-3-turns-to-epo-and-hgh_232611

great article, and also incredibly frustrating, because the percentage of overzealous cat 1-5's with the same mentality is probably not insignificant. especially in ny, and here in southern california, where the amount of disposable income is mind boggling.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
what strikes me about this story is this guy's NEED to win, especially his impatience about it. Many of us need to wait years before we win a race, but this guy wanted it right away. There is a serious personality flaw right there. Also, beyond just being impatient about it, he was willing to cheat to get there. I can see why he felt empty in those "victories".

It looks like Anthony has been making the rounds in a damage control effort.

He was obsessed. That's it. That's the ticket. They might believe that.

He had to dope because he was afraid his cat 4 racing team would kick him out if he did not produce.

I am also having a hard time believing that his early Battenkill wins were clean. I get the feeling that he started on the juice when he was a cat 6 and planning on racing.

slowoldman said:
What does he mean by two Davids?

Maybe the one David who was lying to himself and the other David who was lying to everyone else?

If you aren't able to at least sit in the pack comfortably in Cat 3 on bread and water you need to accept the simple fact that you don't have the genes to be a heavy hitter in road racing. That's life, boo hoo, deal with it or quit.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
David Anthony has a business that he needs to save (Bondi Digital). He's a millionaire. His newly acquired reputation as an EPO cheat is certain to impact the digital publishing business, so I think he is being VERY proactive by getting "ahead of the ball" (so to speak) and trying to "manage" as much of this as he possibly can. If he does a good enough job of it (with his new-found humility), he might even be able to spin this into positive PR for his business. You know, "I screwed-up, but now my mission in life is to help edumucate the childrens".

I'm curious as to who reached-out first. Velonews or David?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
As the body ages, some of the hormones it produced when someone was younger taper off. Anthony was going to race against younger riders as a Cat. 3, and thought of hormone replacement therapy as a leveling of the field.

BullS**t David. The solution's called masters racing. There are plenty of "new-to-the-sport" masters racers who simply race in their age category, as opposed to "5 thru 1" category.
Had you been patient and worked hard (like we all did), you probably could have been a Cat 3 (even a Cat2) with the "old" hormones you did have. You'd just be a bit more tired at the end of the day, and it might have taken you an extra year or two.

What was really causing an uneven playing field at central/prospect park is the fact that many of your other fellow wealthy competitors were also on PEDs. Standard hormones really had nothing to do with it.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
"And I think that cycling is different. Somehow, it’s different than everything else. It rewards the obsessive, compulsive nature."

Wow! What a d*uchebag! Pushing 50, and getting wind-tunnel time?

Nice try blaming the sport for your mental/moral weakness...

TRENDING THREADS