• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Why are you so certain Aru will drop Dumoulin? It's no longer 8+ gradients anymroe. Cotos is 5% average. I think Morcuera is Aru's only shot in that stage.

I do think Dumoulin might have a bitter sprint, considering bonifications. If he doesn't he's gonne get screwed there.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Why are you so certain Aru will drop Dumoulin? It's no longer 8+ gradients anymroe. Cotos is 5% average. I think Morcuera is Aru's only shot in that stage.

I do think Dumoulin might have a bitter sprint, considering bonifications. If he doesn't he's gonne get screwed there.

Agree. If he can limit losses on 15% MTFs then he should not have too much trouble holding on 6%. Plus I think stage 19 cobbled finish might actually suit Tom more than Aru although the penultimate stage turns back in Aru's favour. Could be interesting. Not yet a forgone conclusion that Aru will win this Vuelta.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
He has proved to be a better podium contender compared to other GC hopefuls like Majka, Chaves, all current Dutch climbers. Hope he can sustain.

He's exactly what Tejay should've been yet failed to ever be (not just talking about this year either). Good to see a powerhouse taking some Grand Tour GC glory. Tejay should look into signing up to be a domestique for him, would be a solid pairing.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Today's stage is the most difficult stage for Dumo IMO. It will be key who spent more on the ITT because today's stage is very demanding because its irregular terrain.

So he was flying...at least in the beginning, but started out too fast apparently, needs to take some cues from Wiggins in that respect. In the end when you look at Valverde's and Quintana's or even Aru's times, his performance isn't that "great".

Anywy this is going to come down to the wire, great !

Re:

webvan said:
So he was flying...at least in the beginning, but started out too fast apparently, needs to take some cues from Wiggins in that respect. In the end when you look at Valverde's and Quintana's or even Aru's times, his performance isn't that "great".

Anywy this is going to come down to the wire, great !

I don't think he started out to fast. He probably lost some time to the climbers on the hill, but still gained in the last part of the TT. He won time where he needed it and held on when it counted.
I don't think this was his best TT (we needed Tony just to get a feel what was possible), but that's to be expected after fighting for the overall.

Re:

Red Rick said:

That's why they'll let the breakaways go. Everyone who's smart and wants to win a stage should get in the breaks.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I think if Dumoulin wants to win this Vuelta he can't sit back and be defensive and just react to what Astana/Katusha/(Movistar) do. He and his team should try to be on the offensive and create opportunities for him.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Carols said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yeah, Froome was way more surprising. In fact Froome still is the most surprising GT winner ever and most surprising evolution ever.

Dumoulin at least had a 5th and a 3rd place in the tour de suisse. Froome had.. wel what? a 30th place on Alpe once

Difficult to disagree with this. Froome never showed an iota of talent pre-transformation.

Dumoulin certainly did.
Dumoulin is more Wiggins like

Yes- Dumoggins....

However, definitely not Dumoroome...

Froome for all of Sky's considerable efforts afforded to him including fancy meals, hotels, wind tunnels and Pinarello's , has yielded exactly TWO grand tour victories.

If Dumo wins the Vuelta, he will have exactly ONE less than Froome. Dumo's team extravagance includes travelling in a 1972 VW camper van eating beans and wieners over a Coleman stove and sleeping on a leaky air mattress. Then he goes to races where his team is completely obliterated at the sight of any incline and then he manages by himself to hang on to Sky- like teams where four or five guys deliver their guy to the foot of the hill on a silver platter.

What is there not to like about this guy?

Re:

Metabolol said:
I think if Dumoulin wants to win this Vuelta he can't sit back and be defensive and just react to what Astana/Katusha/(Movistar) do. He and his team should try to be on the offensive and create opportunities for him.

Completely agree! He needs to pick his spots carefully and go on the offensive, I can't imagine just sitting in Aru's wheel the next 3 days (or attempt to) will win him this Vuelta.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I did, but I didn't tell anyone about it and then feigned surprise when he performed as I knew he would so as to not come across as too brilliant.