• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Giant seems to think, on a good day, Dumoulin can put 4s/km into Aru and Rodriguez
So about 2:15 more, which is a lead of about 25-30 seconds.

This will be very interesting.
The ITT is 38.7km long

38.7 x 4 = 154.8 that is 2' 34" , so according to that guesstimate, it would be a lead of 43"

Personally, I think 5 per km is possible, since TD seems fresher than either Aru or Rodriguez.

We'll find out tomorrow.

classicomano said:
TomLPC said:
They must still have nightmares about the Spanish Armada who conspired to ride Menchov out of the red jersey 10 years ago. But I dont see how it matters much, when the road goes up Lotto NL can do just as much as Giant, wich is nothing.

When the road goes up TD can hold his own, so in that circumstance he will have no problem.

Where Lotto can help is in the plain, setting up an infernal tempo that will make a possible break almost impossible. There is not a whole lot of plain, but help for 50km is better than no help at all.

Anyways, is too early to forecast anything. First and foremost we have to see the ITT, then with the results we'll know who is a threat and who is a floater.

If there are 4 contenders for the podium and 1 breaks away, the other 3 will gang up on him, and in the process the leader (whoever is the leader) will be helped by the other 2 podium contenders.

It's going to be interesting.

The course is apparently not that easy as expected. Tom seems to be really happy that it's a rolling course as that really suits him and he's right about that. If he was facing Tony Martin then it would be great, but this course also suits the climbers more then a pancake flat profile and imo it will benefit the climbers more then Tom.

Purito actually got quite hopeful after doing a recon on the TT course. He realised that 2/3 of the course wasn't easy at all and he got his hopes up.

Even on a pancake flat course I wasn't convinced Tom would take red, but I'm not convinced at all anymore.

Let's see what happens tomorrow and enjoy the show. If Tom grabs red tomorrow were in for a treat the days after.

Re:

Winnen said:
Just read that Tom will not focus on a GC in a GT next year. His primary goal will be the Olympic TT. I am not sure if his sponsor agrees with this decision.

I only like Tom more because of this.
Next years Olympic TT course suits him really well so he wants to focus on that. He added that the TdF is every year and the Olympics only every 4 year and for him personally a lot more important then the TdF.

F the sponsor.

Kwibus said:
Winnen said:
Just read that Tom will not focus on a GC in a GT next year. His primary goal will be the Olympic TT. I am not sure if his sponsor agrees with this decision.

Next years Olympic TT course suits him really well so he wants to focus on that. He added that the TdF is every year and the Olympics only every 4 year and for him personally a lot more important then the TdF.

F the sponsor.

Wait a minute, people are asking already if he targets GC in Tour de France?? Let him win the Vuelta and have a shot at Giro with those 70Ks of TT and no big four around and then he can try and pull a Wiggins (with another team of course).

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site

Rollthedice said:
Kwibus said:
Winnen said:

F the sponsor.

Wait a minute, people are asking already if he targets GC in Tour de France?? Let him win the Vuelta and have a shot at Giro with those 70Ks of TT and no big four around and then he can try and pull a Wiggins (with another team of course).
Wait for what? Even if he doesn't win the Vuelta, he's already proved that he can be a worthy contender for the Tour if he decides to go for it.

This is Tom's big day. I'm looking forward to his performance today.

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Re:

TourOfTexas said:
He needs to gain 2.9s/km on JRod.

In the Tour opening ITT of 14km, he put 5.6s/km into him.

In the Tour, they were both fresh. Now Tom is fresher.

I'm predicting 5s/km, for a lead of 1:20 over JRod.

Darn, I was off by 5 seconds. Tom only leads JRod by 1:15.

TRENDING THREADS