• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm impressed with his performances so far. Im sure everyone is.
What strikes me most is the way he's racing these mountain stages without any team support. The stage to Andorra he was sooo smart. Always in the back of the group as if he didnt even consider being an GC contender and giving the impression he wasnt very strong. The only time it backfired was when they gapped him on the descent, but then he still managed to let others close the gap for him.

Today he moved into 2nd wheel and he said that was just bluffing. Bring his rivals morale down.

He's been racing so smart and that for someone who is just 24. That's maybe what impresses me most.

Whatever happens, someone who will get their first ever GT victory in this Vuelta.

I was so impressed with how Tom handled the stage today. Voluntarily dropping on the steep ramps to pull them back on the flatter sections. Racing really smart.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
He can take 3 minutes on purito and aru. That's the max though after 2 weeks of racing, i would say something like 2 min but after a restday it's hard to predict, anything can happen.

The Sky seems to be the Limit for Tom.
No matter what happens from here on, a Performance that will be remembered for a Long time.
So much fun to watch him.
What a legendary feat it would be if he really magaes to win this Vuelta. Wedenseday will be one heck of a race day. Haven't been fired up like this for a bike race since Ullrich left the Scene. Let's go Tom you can pull this off!

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yeah, Froome was way more surprising. In fact Froome still is the most surprising GT winner ever and most surprising evolution ever.

Dumoulin at least had a 5th and a 3rd place in the tour de suisse. Froome had.. wel what? a 30th place on Alpe once

Difficult to disagree with this. Froome never showed an iota of talent pre-transformation.

Dumoulin certainly did.

Re: Re:

Carols said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yeah, Froome was way more surprising. In fact Froome still is the most surprising GT winner ever and most surprising evolution ever.

Dumoulin at least had a 5th and a 3rd place in the tour de suisse. Froome had.. wel what? a 30th place on Alpe once

Difficult to disagree with this. Froome never showed an iota of talent pre-transformation.

Dumoulin certainly did.

Froome showed a great deal of talent before he won his first GT, however. Whether a rider's change in fortunes over a course of a career is credible is a matter for the clinic. Whether a rider was a more surprising winner of a particular GT, given what was known about him at the start of that GT, is what this thread tangent is about. It's hard to come up with anyone who beats Dumoulin in that regard at least since Mauri.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Carols said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Dumoulin certainly did.

Froome showed a great deal of talent before he won his first GT, however. Whether a rider's change in fortunes over a course of a career is credible is a matter for the clinic. Whether a rider was a more surprising winner of a particular GT, given what was known about him at the start of that GT, is what this thread tangent is about. It's hard to come up with anyone who beats Dumoulin in that regard at least since Mauri.

Yes I realized later for purposes of the discussion Froome and or Dumoulin must be the 'winner'. Well Tom hasn't won yet either, though he certainly seems likely to.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
"I think yesterday [stage 15] I made a mistake, I could have hung on a little longer but I went too quickly to my own pace," Dumoulin explained. "Today I thought, 'if I blow up, I blow up', but I didn't

That's interesting. Not what I'd expect. The psychological benefit of following wheels seems greater than I thought it would be.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
"I think yesterday [stage 15] I made a mistake, I could have hung on a little longer but I went too quickly to my own pace," Dumoulin explained. "Today I thought, 'if I blow up, I blow up', but I didn't

That's interesting. Not what I'd expect. The psychological benefit of following wheels seems greater than I thought it would be.

You can see the psychological (or "placebo" in a sense) benefits of following someone else's pace in distance running very obviously. There is a measurable slipstream in the 10k, but there certainly isn't enough of one to explain the fact that everyone runs in a pack at whatever pace whoever is willing to take the front chooses. Particularly given the sheltered and round nature of a track.

May 28, 2012
Visit site

Red Rick said:
Pentacycle said:
If Dumo's positioning is better tomorrow, he might end up much closer to the climbers. The mountain stages will tire him out a little more than the climbers, as he has 10 kgs extra weight. However, his superior TT postion is crucial to convert the extra watts into time gained. Has he actually been able to do much training on his aero bike?

I don't think he touched his tt bike since the TdF prologue
With that in mind, his chances for the leader's jersey don't look good.

May 8, 2009
Visit site

Zinoviev Letter said:
SeriousSam said:

You can see the psychological (or "placebo" in a sense) benefits of following someone else's pace in distance running very obviously. There is a measurable slipstream in the 10k, but there certainly isn't enough of one to explain the fact that everyone runs in a pack at whatever pace whoever is willing to take the front chooses. Particularly given the sheltered and round nature of a track.

I think the opposite to be honest. 1 second per lap is what I have seen quoted for distance running, so up to 25 seconds in a 10k - who could run 25 seconds faster than the whole field? Nobody, that's why no one tries to go away from the gun.

Back to cycling, climbing models (e.g veloclinic, ammatti... (sp)) use cda=0.35 with success, meaning savings in the slipstream of ~8W @ 20km/h, ~15W @ 25km/h, ~25W @ 30km/h.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Mongolian Mayhem said:
Big Tom is just savage. He is my new sentimental favourite. He doesn't quit and just plows on. He's a giraffe on two wheels that probably pushes 550 -600 climbing watts and still has enough gas to hang in there to finish near the pure climbers. This is great entertainment!

Dumoulin to win the TT by 10 minutes

Carols said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Dumoulin certainly did.
Dumoulin is more Wiggins like

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:

It's important to note that in this quote Tom was talking about the second-to-last climb of stage 16. Not being in the group when they go over the top is a big deal (unless you are a great descender)

I hope he will go to the giro, next year. If he is still in the same shape he could be a contender. However if his team isnt better he wont have a chance anyways when he is considered as a favorite right from the beginning. Preidler, or someone like that would be good.

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
He needs to gain 2.9s/km on JRod.

In the Tour opening ITT of 14km, he put 5.6s/km into him.

In the Tour, they were both fresh. Now Tom is fresher.

I'm predicting 5s/km, for a lead of 1:20 over JRod.

TRENDING THREADS