Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Escarabajo said:
Oh Billie again. It is fun though.
why me again?

First Giant keep working on the front while Dumoulin was back because of the crash (this one I don't mind too much cause he was getting back anyway). Then Dumoulin sets pace on the Cresto del Gallo and drops Degenkolb. Up until here he's working for Degenkolb which is not bad either but then I was a bit dissapointed in him. He constantly stays back of the group seemingly waiting for Degenkolb to get back. Instead he should have tried to join one of those attacks. For example if he joins Hansen late attack I think it's him sprinting vs Hansen for the win.

Don't think he'll be able to get red back of Chaves in the coming stages.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
2
0
Re: Re:

Bushman said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
He's still the same weight. He has never been really overweight. He's the same weight and height as Chris Froome. He just looks more bulky... but really isn't
Same as Froome? Definitely not, Froome isn't close to 70 kgs in top shape.
froome is 68 kg in topshape according to his own power files which seem a very good source.
 
Re: Re:

Billie said:
Escarabajo said:
Oh Billie again. It is fun though.
why me again?

First Giant keep working on the front while Dumoulin was back because of the crash (this one I don't mind too much cause he was getting back anyway). Then Dumoulin sets pace on the Cresto del Gallo and drops Degenkolb. Up until here he's working for Degenkolb which is not bad either but then I was a bit dissapointed in him. He constantly stays back of the group seemingly waiting for Degenkolb to get back. Instead he should have tried to join one of those attacks. For example if he joins Hansen late attack I think it's him sprinting vs Hansen for the win.

Don't think he'll be able to get red back of Chaves in the coming stages.
Really. Do you really think Dumoulin couldve raced off? His chances for red are only when he manages to stay among the GC favourites in the mountain stages and then take red in the TT.

That's not going to happen though.
 
Re: Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
Bushman said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
He's still the same weight. He has never been really overweight. He's the same weight and height as Chris Froome. He just looks more bulky... but really isn't
Same as Froome? Definitely not, Froome isn't close to 70 kgs in top shape.
froome is 68 kg in topshape according to his own power files which seem a very good source.
I have read that but I dont believe it. Dont think he is heavier than 65-66 kgs.
 
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Well, with the 38km TT, and a 1 min lead over everyone else already, Dumoulin is suddenly looking really good for GC
You realize, though, we haven't had a mountain stage yet? Today was a killer finale, true, but a 4 k climb. Stage 11 has 4 climbs of 10k or more. Not saying he can't do it--I don't know him that well--but those stages definitely change the way he'll be able to put his obvious superior power to good use. Especially if Quintana is feeling good.
 
Re: Re:

Sciatic said:
PremierAndrew said:
Well, with the 38km TT, and a 1 min lead over everyone else already, Dumoulin is suddenly looking really good for GC
You realize, though, we haven't had a mountain stage yet? Today was a killer finale, true, but a 4 k climb. Stage 11 has 4 climbs of 10k or more. Not saying he can't do it--I don't know him that well--but those stages definitely change the way he'll be able to put his obvious superior power to good use. Especially if Quintana is feeling good.
I mean as a podium contender. I'm still unsure of his ability on the true mountains, and he was definitely struggling to hang on on stage 7, but he's certainly looking strong, and surprisingly for me, able to cope with really steep gradients
 
wednesday to show how tom copes with multimountain stage. if he survives with the other big boys it will be hard to push him out from top spot. he already reminds me hesjedal in the 2012 giro for some reason. :)
 
He's a class act. He wil still probably end 5th or so in GC, hope he doesn't see that as a sign to aim at Grand Tours in the feature.

This is a guy that can be World TT Champion, win in the Ardennes and conquer 1-week races.
 
Re:

classicomano said:
Tom Dumoulin is the future of cycling, its time you all recognize this.
We've had so many dutch people hyping dutch youngster in the past that all failed to deliver on this forum that I really have to tell you to stop. Not until he actually won a GT or a WC or something.

Please :)
 
Long long way to go. He's in a nice position, but how will he come back from today's 100% effort? Will it take a toll and bury him on Wednesday? I suspect with the ITT in mind, all the other contenders will go all out on the final climb on Wednesday. If he stays in touch, it's his race to lose.
 
Wednesday is D-day for Tom.
So far all we had is flat stages with a climb at the end. It's obvious he can deal with that.
Wednesday will be a completely different stage. Huge gaps can be created that day and he has never ever before rode such a stage among the best.
This year in Suisse we could allready see something good was coming, allthough at that point I thought that was his max regarding climbing.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY