• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Taxus4a said:
A start is born, he has very good result always in pros, but thi year he confirmed he is a rider for GC and maybe this Vuelta confirmed he is for GT as well. He is young, so has big potential still to improve.

Welcome, becouse cycling need more riders very strong in TT that are good in the mountains, so climblers will need to attack from far. With Porte out of Sky and Domoulin strong, cycling will be better.

See how he goes on the major climbs. But there is no doubt he is a rider for the future and his TT will only get better and it is already very good.

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
If Stage 11 was today, I think he would do very well. But things may change significantly after the rest day and especially in the third week. One or two riders who looked mediocre so far (by GC standards) might explode later on.

Re:

BrentonOfTheNorth said:
If Stage 11 was today, I think he would do very well. But things may change significantly after the rest day and especially in the third week. One or two riders who looked mediocre so far (by GC standards) might explode later on.
His team is a huge problems. For example if Quintana goes on the attack on Gallina I am pretty sure Dumoulin will loose his leaders jersey. (although that doesnt mean Quintana would take it for sure, I just think that Dumoulin would loose all his domestiques and if he wants to catch other riders he will have to do that on his own, and that counts for every possible attack)

Yeah I watched the remaining profiles, and even if he somehow survives Andorra and is for instance still within 1 minute. Then there's still 3 mtf finishes to add to that time.

It's not possible. Normally.
But yeah, i also thought it's impossible for him to beat Froome and Purito on a Purito finish. We'll just have to wait and see

Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
BrentonOfTheNorth said:
His team is a huge problems. For example if Quintana goes on the attack on Gallina I am pretty sure Dumoulin will loose his leaders jersey. (although that doesnt mean Quintana would take it for sure, I just think that Dumoulin would loose all his domestiques and if he wants to catch other riders he will have to do that on his own, and that counts for every possible attack)

Depends if Sky and Katusha don't mind Quintana riding off. They might actually do the work if that situation occurs.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Let's see what happens in stage 11. He's young so we don't know his ceiling. Maybe he's this year's surprise winner. It's what we're due on an even year after all.

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Re:

SergeDeM said:
Let's see what happens in stage 11. He's young so we don't know his ceiling. Maybe he's this year's surprise winner. It's what we're due on an even year after all.

Hum... Maybe. But the others surprise winners they were all climbers, like Horner and Cobo. So, it will be 2x harder for Dumolin.

rafaelalencar said:
SergeDeM said:

Hum... Maybe. But the others surprise winners they were all climbers, like Horner and Cobo. So, it will be 2x harder for Dumolin.
He has the power & also looks like the power to weight as well. The only thing in question is recovery. He may win/podium this Vuelta if the others start looking at each other. He has the TT to look forward to where he will probably put 1 min to Froome, 2 min to Valverde and 3 min into the pure climbers

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site

Tank Engine said:
SergeDeM said:
Let's see what happens in stage 11. He's young so we don't know his ceiling. Maybe he's this year's surprise winner. It's what we're due on an odd year after all.

Fixed that for you.

Although it is possible that you use a different system for numbering the years.
Good ol' fashioned brainfart is all :D

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
The amount of work Tom did for Degenkolb yesterday for me indicates that he's not really serious about the GC.

He isn't and never was. He never expected to be in this position in the first place. He said that if someone told him he would beat Purito and Froome on a short steep climb he would've said against that someone that he's completely insane.

Ofcourse he will give it all wednesday, but if he's not capable of following he will be dissapointed to lose ofcourse, but certainly not surprised to lose.

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
After Degenkolb had failed to win - despite Dumoulin's best efforts to help - Dumoulin said, "I was a bit pissed after the finish but now I’m here in the leader’s jersey. It’s great!"

Sounds more like a lucky accident than a plan that came together.

I hope he'll seize his chance and batter himself on Wednesday. If he were older and more experienced he might feel he's already expended took much energy and it's not his place to be a GC contender. (I'm sure Valverde could explain it to him.)

His hair reminds me of Merckx
220px-Eddy_Merckx_Molteni_1973.jpg

TRENDING THREADS