• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

carton said:
Rollthedice said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Rollthedice said:
Dumoulin works hard, has talent, "grinta", class and sense of humour. He will win a Grand Tour someday.

If anything I'm worried that he might lack enough of the requisite streak of being a mean unreasonable bastard that so many champions possess.

He'll learn, don't worry.
Hope he doesn't. Hope he remains personable like LeMond and humble like Indurain. It served them well.
He learned quite fast.

classicomano said:
Baldinger said:
classicomano said:
Tom is a strong personality that speaks his mind always. This is good for cycling.
To have a strong personality and to speak your mind is not necessarily a good thing, you know.
It is. Imagine if everyone was like Quintana. Some verbal back and forth makes things more fun.

Or there are other types of riders (the types of Contador - a dying breed unfortunately): gentlemen off the bike and real racers on the road !
Off the bike is not a good place to show aggression.

Forever The Best said:
Valv.Piti said:
Haha, lol. If Nibali gets the sligthest opportunity he will eat him alive. I have a feeling this is far, far, far from over with all the psychological antics these guys are up to.
Not gonna happen with the horribly designed stages :(
They can turn stage 20 into a stage for the ages, but it could obviously still have been designed so the possibilities of an ambush working was higher. Tomorrow, simple MTF, but don't underestimate it.

I'll destroy you tomorrow.

2253761286.jpg

mavmav said:
Ataraxus said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hmm

On Dutch TV he is a lot more nuanced. Says Nibali and Quintana are clearly in a pact and that's understandable. Then complains a bit that Kruijswijk and Mollema can't form a 'counter-pact' with him instead.
Then he says he is definately not certain and says any bad day like in the Vuelta 2015 could still ruin everything.

I don't understand the reasons why Mollema and S.K. would form alliances with him. Alliances with Zaka, Pinot and Pozzo instead, would make much more sense.
Now that I think about it, the trolling of Nibali and Quintana might have been made to form alliances with the aforement

In the Eurosport Interview he almost literally said "I hope Pinot gets on the podium"

with the current time gaps, Pinot and Zakarin have nothing to gain letting Nibali or Q go. By doing so they won't win and the podium becomes less likely. They'll take their chances against Dumoulin on the MTF, but Nibs and Q invited the rest of the field in the podium battle.

That could be a good thing if one doesn't want Dumoulin to win. Dumoulin has to watch more guys now. Pinot and Zakarin are practically as dangerous as Nibbes and Quintana.

Re:

Brullnux said:
Except he didn't. They had no reason to ride, and dumoulin has to understand that. They don't care about a podium, they want to win. He has a lot more reason to be angry about Tuesday than today.

Before Zak and Pinot got a free minute, an attack of Q and Nibali was just an attack on Dumoulin. But now, an attack of Q or Nibali has also become an attack on Pinot and Zak's podium chances.

Sure, Zak and Pinot also gained a minute on Dumoulin, but with the ITT in mind Pinot would still need 3 minutes or so to have a real shot at pink. But he might think he has Q beat already if he can just hold his wheel the next 2 days.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
Tom shouldn't whine about that. Pretty normal tactics. For a guy who wasn't angry at his oppenents for attacking after he took a dump, this reaction is pretty poor.
i agree.. though i think he surely was angry after his dump, he just handled it with more class then.

wishing his competitors PUBLICLY a misfortune is seriously nasty and not all that smart nor classy. i am actually neutral on tom and marvel at his talent, but i would react the same had ANY rider mouthed the sour grapes. nor did i understand this whine:
but now Thibaut Pinot almost took a minute on me
if tom felt as good as he claimed AND was concerned for pinot, the simplest thing wold be to go after pinot. why didn't you tom do that very simple thing.

i just can not stand whiners. but think that dumo is still the fave over anyone.

"They are only focusing on me and trying to make me lose instead of trying to win. In the last moments, they lost a lot of time to the other competitors. I really hope that riding like this they will lose their podium spot in Milan, that would be really nice, and I would be really happy,"

I honestly don't understand how this is not a legitimate opinion. He doesn't say that he expected them to work with oder for him, merely that he thinks riding like this doesn't deserve a podium spot. That's an opinion not an insult. And it's not arrogant it's just plain honest (in a polemic way, but that's a commonly known stylistic device of exaggeration)

Oh and apparently later in the press conference he said this:

"I was never really in trouble but in the finale, I was not completely happy with the situation. I'd have liked to stay all together. At top of the climb with four kilometres to go, it was a good situation for Quintana, Nibali and me. That's why I didn't understand their tactics. I was frustrated and angry that they only rode on my wheel. I don't understand them."

Still I don't see how it's not legitimate to make a statement on a matter of disagreement.

TRENDING THREADS