• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
Re:

portugal11 said:
OMG he looks dead... recovery will be a big factor tomorrow.
Quintana and Nibali looked like they were spent coming across the line too.

I don't think there are going to be big time gaps in the ITT tomorrow, but maybe there will be just enough.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Andro said:
BM Tom takes the Giro! Congrats.

It really is a new era of cycling. The new mentality of people riding for 5th place instead of gambling to get higher placings means that the top contenders will often find people to drag them when they get dropped. The 5th-10th place finishers hold the keys to deciding who wins GT's today, and Tom was the best at making friends with them and getting them to be his helpers. I guess you just have to applaud him for that, he played the game the best.

Not sure Tom did much to make friends rather it was his rivals breach of cycling etiquette that made other riders work against rewarding their dirty tactics. It is nice to see bad karma hurt bad people like Nibali and Quintanna. Dumoulin might not win tomorrow but he is clearly the strongest rider in this race and the most
deserving of victory. Hopefully he will do that tomorrow and pinot will come in second.

Jungels is just always finding himself on the front and Mochema is dutch, so its understandable. There also was a stage win they possibly could get.

It aint over till its over. I want to see him in pink in Milano first, altho he obviously is the grand favourite as of now.

Re: Re:

Chomsky said:
Andro said:
BM Tom takes the Giro! Congrats.

It really is a new era of cycling. The new mentality of people riding for 5th place instead of gambling to get higher placings means that the top contenders will often find people to drag them when they get dropped. The 5th-10th place finishers hold the keys to deciding who wins GT's today, and Tom was the best at making friends with them and getting them to be his helpers. I guess you just have to applaud him for that, he played the game the best.

Not sure Tom did much to make friends rather it was his rivals breach of cycling etiquette that made other riders work against rewarding their dirty tactics. It is nice to see bad karma hurt bad people like Nibali and Quintanna. Dumoulin might not win tomorrow but he is clearly the strongest rider in this race and the most
deserving of victory. Hopefully he will do that tomorrow and pinot will come in second.

Insisting on this "dirty" tactic thing starts to be beyond ridiculous.
Who is talking so much about it? As usual, couch-riders, while real riders, pro riders, peloton riders and Dumoulin's teammates themselves have said that there was nothing wrong with BM and Movistar behaviour on the Stelvio stage.

Not to mention the non sense speculation according to which Jungels, Mollema and Yates helped Dumoulin because they were appalled by Nibali's and Quintana's behaviour.
They are just good friends. That's it. Then you can think to all the conspiracy theories you can come up with.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Anyway, did anyone really think he could battle for the GC win this year?

I sure didn't. I expected him to be in the lower top 10 end, maybe top 5 with everything going his way. His climbing level of the last 2 days was the level I expected him at.
Me :D

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Anyway, did anyone really think he could battle for the GC win this year?

I sure didn't. I expected him to be in the lower top 10 end, maybe top 5 with everything going his way. His climbing level of the last 2 days was the level I expected him at.

No, not with this field I didn't. My assumption was that he might have improved to the extent that he could hold off Aru level competitors, but even if he had the likes of Quintana and Nibali would smash him in the high mountains. I would not have been at all surprised to see him top 5, but I did not think he would be particularly close on time to the first two or three.

That he is in this position despite having effectively no team and despite his bowels handing everyone else a couple of free minutes is really remarkable.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
How much attention is all of this getting in the Netherlands? Is it a big deal to the kind of people who don't post on cycling forums?
I feel it's quite big. I've noticed people who normally don't follow cycling suddenly being following it. It's hard to compare though with Dutch broadcasters not covering it due to ES buying all the rights. I do know that last year the first week had a lot more attention, for obvious reasons.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
How much attention is all of this getting in the Netherlands? Is it a big deal to the kind of people who don't post on cycling forums?
It's definitely getting a lot of attention in the media. I think the race being shown on Eurosport only kinda lessens the hype though, think lots of people, even casual fans, would be watching otherwise.

After he dominated the first TT, putting in almost three minutes into Quintana, I started to feel more confident about his chances. I have to be honest though, before every mountain stage (MTF included or not), I was half expecting him to blow up and lose any chance on not just the overall, but the podium, so for him to still be where he is, with a very strong chance of winning the overall tomorrow, is exceptional. Whatever happens though, he's had a great Giro. The poopgate incident and the time he lost certainly brought life into the last week of racing, and probably made this way more dramatic than it needs to be, but who knows, perhaps had he not lost those 2+ minutes, the others would have been inclined to attack more, particularly Quintana, but we'll never know of course.

At any rate, I hope he overtakes all three men in front of him and finishes the Giro in style. That will certainly silence the critics and give him even more confidence for future GT's, where he now surely must be regarded as more than a serious threat, even to an in form Contador or an in form Froome and his Sky armada. Yes, Quintana may not have been in his best form here, nor was Nibali as good as he was in years past, but I don't think this is Dumoulin's limit either. I think he can ride even better.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

lartiste said:
klintE said:
Tom is continuing his misbehaviour. He will regret it later.

what you mean?

Probably referring to the "they helped me 'cause they like me more than Quintana and Nibbles" quote. I'm a Nibali fan and I smirked, I enjoy it when people throw jabs at each other, so this was good fun for me. But klintE shouldn't worry, Dumoulin will get more vanilla as sponsors will start showing up and get his ear.

Well, he is giving a thanks to his opponents for lame fighting. Absolutely no one will respect him. Maybe it's a goal. You don't have to respect me. When you afraid of me - it's fair enough.
Anyway, I don't like personallyTom but on the other hand I'm glad that someone let some fresh blood in.
He changed state of play significantly winning that Giro.
Hope to see Vroome, Dumou and Nairito battle in Giro next year. Or in Vuelta in this year. (TDF is designed by some crack or fentanyl poisoned freak so I'm not gonna watch it)

Re:

klintE said:
Well, he is giving a thanks to his opponents for lame fighting. Absolutely no one will respect him. Maybe it's a goal. You don't have to respect me. When you afraid of me - it's fair enough.
Anyway, I don't like personallyTom but on the other hand I'm glad that someone let some fresh blood in.
Hope to see Vroome, Dumou and Nairito battle in Giro next year. Or in Vuelta in this year. (TDF is designed by some crack or fentanyl poisoned freak so I'm not gonna watch it)

Source?

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Re:

klintE said:

I am not really TD follower, I will be same happy if either he or Pinot will win this. But I do not see what is wrong with that. And I do not consider that lame fighting, from my point of view it was mere lame fighting from Quintana than from Tom. It was Quintana trying to organize the first group and doing nearly nothing ... .

Re:

klintE said:
Press materials :p)

Tom Dumoulin (Sunweb) says that his rivals were not working for themselves, but for him en route to Asiago.
He is “forever thankful” that they kept Giro d’Italia leader Nairo Quintana (Movistar) under control ahead of the final time trial stage in Milan on Sunday.

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/tom-dumoulin-im-forever-thankful-mollema-jungels-yates-333052#hoscGqKA0tbWb0oZ.99

“I’m happy that I’m mentally and physically much better than yesterday,” Dumoulin said when returning to his team bus. “I’m forever thankful and grateful for the work Bauke Mollema, Bob Jungels and Adam Yates did for me today,”

“They were pretty much not really fighting any more for spots on GC because they are pretty much fixed in their spots on GC so it was also definitely to help me, so I’m very happy with that and very thankful.”

... And?...
I'm really not understanding your reasoning.

TRENDING THREADS