• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 104 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Bardamu said:
He must both be gutted and hopeful, as long he is staying consistent many things can happen tomorrow.
Although Froome sounded very confident in his interview, saying he is getting stronger while the rest is completely done by now.

Quintana and Nibali are now horizontal on the lounge with wet cloths on their heads..........Froome already thinking of July.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Fantastic Giro showing all the world he is also one of the best climbers. Too bad the Alien suddenly showed up in his bedt ever form on exactly the right stage
Yeah, waiting for Reichenbach was a mistake. But I don't think he could've held on to pink unless he also rides a much faster descend than he did.

Re:

classicomano said:
He said in an interview afterwards he maybe should've just kept going on the descent. He waited on Reichenbach twice cause Reichenbach wanted to ride with him on the flat but Reichenbach descended "like an old lady".

Honestly, i don't feel sorry for him. He made the exact same mistake as when Yates was in the attack. He's number 2, he's the TTer, it's up to him to ride after the leader.

Re:

classicomano said:
He said in an interview afterwards he maybe should've just kept going on the descent. He waited on Reichenbach twice cause Reichenbach wanted to ride with him on the flat but Reichenbach descended "like an old lady".
Good rider but a crybaby nevertheless.
Everyone is riding their own race. They are not getting paid for riding in the wind for him.
Meh...

Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
classicomano said:

Honestly, i don't feel sorry for him. He made the exact same mistake as when Yates was in the attack. He's number 2, he's the TTer, it's up to him to ride after the leader.
I think he could have minimised the gap had understood that a bit before. But its very easy in hindsight..

Valv.Piti said:
classicomano said:

I think he could have minimised the gap had understood that a bit before. But its very easy in hindsight..

In hindsight? Sorry, this is racing tactics 101. Especially since he made the same mistake less than a week before. Nobody dragged Froome, or last week Yates.

Valv.Piti said:
classicomano said:

In hindsight? Sorry, this is racing tactics 101. Especially since he made the same mistake less than a week before. Nobody dragged Froome, or last week Yates.
Regarding Lopez and Carapaz yes, but at the top of the Finestre with 75km (mostly flat/rolling) to go he thought it would be smarter to ride with five. The gap was "only" 40s.

In hindsight the smartest thing would have been to drop Lopez just before the top so Carapaz & Pinot would have co-operated, but Pinot had a mechanical and I guess he was on the limit himself.

Valv.Piti said:
classicomano said:

I agree, the same mistake twice. But from my point of view he is not a crying about it because he admitted it was his own mistake. I think the only reason is that he felt that the pink was slipping away when he saw CF disappear. A little bit of panic in his head. Just like earlier this giro.

But we also should acknowledge that everyone but CF is down over 4 min in a Giro without alot of TT kms.

Head scratcher from Dumo today. Pretty colossal tactical blunders IMO. Repeatedly waiting for others instead of chasing a solo Froome. He is the world champion TTer after all. 40s at top of Finestre, 1:40ish at the bottom of the other side? Unforgivable. Another minute plus on the flat/rolling section? Pretty bad but understandable if he just didn't have the legs.

VayaVayaVaya said:
Head scratcher from Dumo today. Pretty colossal tactical blunders IMO. Repeatedly waiting for others instead of chasing a solo Froome. He is the world champion TTer after all. 40s at top of Finestre, 1:40ish at the bottom of the other side? Unforgivable. Another minute plus on the flat/rolling section? Pretty bad but understandable if he just didn't have the legs.
He didn't have the legs. He let Reichenbach do a lot of the work. If he did have the legs, then I don't think he'd have let the gap go over 2 minutes at any point. He was just a level below Froome, like everyone else.

Brullnux said:
VayaVayaVaya said:
He didn't have the legs. He let Reichenbach do a lot of the work. If he did have the legs, then I don't think he'd have let the gap go over 2 minutes at any point. He was just a level below Froome, like everyone else.

I think you're right, but the decisions on the descent were tactical mistakes. You don't need good legs to not lose 60s on a descent. Unless he thought his legs were so bad that he should trade 60s on the descent for potentially larger losses on the flat...

Code:
silvergrenade said:
classicomano said:
Everyone is riding their own race. They are not getting paid for riding in the wind for him.
Meh...

You're going to have to work on your comprehensive reading ability. He's not crying over Reichenbach's descending skills. He's 2nd guessing his tactics because of Reichenbach's descending skills...

Apart from that this whole "Dumoulin always needs others to ride for him" vibe in here is getting old. Aru beat Dumoulin in the Vuelta because of teammates and teammates of others. Not because Aru "put his nose in the wind" and Dumoulin was only relying on others. And you'd have to go back a long way to find a GT winner with a worse team then he had last year. Yet all people will whine about is a group of riders that decided to pull with him for 15k in one stage of last years giro.

It becomes even worse when Froome fans start talking BS like that. Froome wouldn't have half the GT wins if he didn't have his personal train with him just about everywhere he goes...

mavmav said:
Code:
silvergrenade said:
classicomano said:
Meh...

You're going to have to work on your comprehensive reading ability. He's not crying over Reichenbach's descending skills. He's 2nd guessing his tactics because of Reichenbach's descending skills...

Apart from that this whole "Dumoulin always needs others to ride for him" vibe in here is getting old. Aru beat Dumoulin in the Vuelta because of teammates and teammates of others. Not because he was the better rider. And you'd have to go back a long way to find a GT winner with a worse team then he had last year. Yet all people will whine about is a group of riders that decided to pull with him for 15k in one stage of last years giro.

It becomes even worse when Froome fans start talking BS like that. Froome wouldn't have half the GT wins if he didn't have his personal train with him just about everywhere he goes...
Pretty much.

If it's just Reichenbach pulling Froome wins the stage by 5 minutes.

Anyhow, assuming nothing changes tomorrow, I think Dumoulin should be satisfied with his performance. He might 2nd guess a few decisions he's made, and he may have been a little up and down in the first 2 weeks, but he never really had a bad day and he was super solid even when he got dropped. That's a big quality.

I hope he will not go for the Tour, and opts to either peak for the Vuelta, the Worlds, or both.

TRENDING THREADS