• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 127 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

shalgo said:
Red Rick said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yeah Nibali won all GT's + monuments like MSR and Lombardy.

Froome is more of a, sorry to say, 1 trick pony. His wins at GT's and stage races only. And he didn't even do a solid top 10 in a one day race that matters
Never mind solid top 10s, does he even have any top 10s in one day road races?
2007:
8th, Tour du Doubs (1.1)
2008:
3rd, Giro dell'Appennino (1.1)
2009:
4th, National Championships Great Britain R.R.
9th, GP Nobili Rubinetterie - Borgomanero (1.1)

As far as I can tell, none since then.

Then in 2011 he realized he sucks at one day races and decided to win the Tour de France.

King Of The Wolds said:
tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Best doesn't equate to most succesful.

True. Which is why Sagan beyond doubt has been the best rider for the last many years.

If there's a rider around who, in the previous 4 years, has won 3 Tours, a Giro and a Vuelta, in addition to a couple of other GT podiums, by default, they're pretty much the world's best rider, almost regardless of the results of any other rider and how much they're disliked on this forum. That's pretty legendary form, almost for any era. Hell, just a few months ago, he held all GT titles simultaneously.

No, if there's a rider who won 3 WC, 2 Monuments, 3 big classics, EC, 3 Green Jersey's and a ton of other races.
And also a rider who won WC, 2 Monuments, 3 big classics, 3 big stage races, podium 2 GT's and also won ton of other races.
Seriously, Froome is maybe the best rider of the last 4-5 years, but Sagan and Valverde aren't that far from him. And I reckon that three are also the best riders currently.

Gigs_98 said:
A season full of 2nd places and a 4th place in the only one where a top 3 would have been a success. Very unlucky season for him but nonetheless he again established himself as one of the undoubtedly strongest cyclists of the year.

3rd in Worlds greater than 2nd at Tour? Not sure where that logic is from.

I remember podium of 2017 tour, can't remember who was 3rd behind Sagan at Worlds that year though.

del1962 said:
Gigs_98 said:
A season full of 2nd places and a 4th place in the only one where a top 3 would have been a success. Very unlucky season for him but nonetheless he again established himself as one of the undoubtedly strongest cyclists of the year.

I have no idea how you come to that interpretation.

Robert5091 said:
Tour only GT for Tommy D? What we know about the Giro he'd be better there.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tom-dumoulin-to-target-tour-de-france-in-2019/
This all based on the Dutch interview that's discussed on the previous page.

We can only guess what he means by his comment about the routes, cause from every rumor I've seen the Giro route will be pitch perfect for him while the Tour will be bad. Again.

Blanco said:
King Of The Wolds said:
tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Best doesn't equate to most succesful.

True. Which is why Sagan beyond doubt has been the best rider for the last many years.

If there's a rider around who, in the previous 4 years, has won 3 Tours, a Giro and a Vuelta, in addition to a couple of other GT podiums, by default, they're pretty much the world's best rider, almost regardless of the results of any other rider and how much they're disliked on this forum. That's pretty legendary form, almost for any era. Hell, just a few months ago, he held all GT titles simultaneously.

No, if there's a rider who won 3 WC, 2 Monuments, 3 big classics, EC, 3 Green Jersey's and a ton of other races.
And also a rider who won WC, 2 Monuments, 3 big classics, 3 big stage races, podium 2 GT's and also won ton of other races.
Seriously, Froome is maybe the best rider of the last 4-5 years, but Sagan and Valverde aren't that far from him. And I reckon that three are also the best riders currently.

Last five years? 2 GT and 3 Monuments plus another 2 GT podiums not bad either.

Red Rick said:
del1962 said:
Gigs_98 said:

I have no idea how you come to that interpretation.

The original post says the worlds RR is the only one where a top 3 is a success implying that top 3 achieved in the tour could not be considered a success

CTQ said:
DNP-Old said:
Rollthedice said:
Dumoulin to hold a press conference tomorrow.
Rumour has it he's going to BMCCCCCCCCCCC (/Giant).

last year, TEAM SUNWEB EXTENDS CONTRACT WITH TOM DUMOULIN UNTIL 2022, if it's true, it must cost Giant a lot of money
That seems to be extremely unlikely. When informing about ten Dam, Continuum Sports stated that "the 37-year-old will be the team’s sole Dutch rider" (from their official website).
https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int...ing_wealth_of_experience_to_continuum_sports/

Also, Dumoulin is starring in that short promo video released some days ago presenting new Cervelo bike for Team Sunweb in 2019.
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1046632672955650048

The recently unveiled Olympic TT course seems perfect for Tom so I think he will do a 100% attempt at the Olympic Gold medal.

So probably no Tour in 2020, perhaps full Giro + Olympiad focus. This means that in 2019 he surely must try the Tour with no Giro before it.

TRENDING THREADS