• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 139 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
silvergrenade said:
HelloDolly said:
Dumoulin: "Giro classification is over."
Meh..
I still hope he finishes the Giro if riding doesnt make his knee worse...
It's a waste of the rest of the season
Thats what everyone said about Froome, including his team.
Real tenacity is known in the toughest of times.
Ofc every injury is different but I think Tom is a big champion and he should start tomorrows stage if he can.

silvergrenade said:
Red Rick said:
silvergrenade said:
HelloDolly said:
Meh..
Ofc every injury is different but I think Tom is a big champion and he should start tomorrows stage if he can.
I don't remember anyone saying that about Froome.

He also didn't sustain major injuries or lose 4 minutes to literally everyone.

One thing is not the other.

Real tenacity by *** ass.

Red Rick said:
silvergrenade said:
Red Rick said:
silvergrenade said:
HelloDolly said:
Meh..
I don't remember anyone saying that about Froome.

He also didn't sustain major injuries or lose 4 minutes to literally everyone.
Go look in his topic and have fun then. There were multiple posters saying he should quit and focus on the Tour. Same thing for Nibali in 2016. We all know what happened.

And while we are at it, Froome was injured from day one of that Giro.

Now back to Tom, if the knee is fine (which is a big IF seeing how he was pedaling after the crash), there's no reason to quit. He stays in the race and see what happens. He's got two TTs to gain time on each of his rivals. Roglic could fade badly in the third week, Nibali is old, Superman is vulnerable to ambushes, Yates has collapsed before. You never know with cycling. You never know.

If his knee is ok, I could see Dumoulin pulling back 4 minutes on anyone and everyone ahead of him somewhere along the way, except Roglic. He needs Roglic to have at least one very, very bad day to win.

Worth remembering that he had a significant unplanned loss of time in his only GT win to date. This is a bigger time loss, with less ongoing injury concerns, but still, it’s a not-insurmountable gap. To everyone except Roglic, of course. To even come back from this and finish 2nd or 3rd would still be a very impressive performance and a worthwhile race.

SafeBet said:
Now back to Tom, if the knee is fine (which is a big IF seeing how he was pedaling after the crash), there's no reason to quit. He stays in the race and see what happens. He's got two TTs to gain time on each of his rivals. Roglic could fade badly in the third week, Nibali is old, Superman is vulnerable to ambushes, Yates has collapsed before. You never know with cycling. You never know.

It's not that simple. It certainly sounds good but all of these have to happen, not just one of them. Yates has to collepse, Roglic has to fade, his age has to become a factor for the first time in a GT for Nibali, Superman has to be ambushed succesfully and so on. Individually each of these is possible, almost likely to happen, but all of them?

On the other hand while yes you never say never and there is a chance you can argue that the possbile gains are bigger from abandoning and focusing fully on the Tour where he might just become the number 1 favourite with that than the losses with losing the real slim chance of winning this Giro (anything else won't add too much to his career).

Assuming he won't stay in it for the two ITT's or to go stagehunting, i'm guessing he's going to call it quits. Unless his team thinks riding the Giro softpedaling and picking out his stages, is a better preperation for the TDF... Can't see it happening unless his knee is in much better shape come morning.

Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Assuming he won't stay in it for the two ITT's or to go stagehunting, i'm guessing he's going to call it quits. Unless his team thinks riding the Giro softpedaling and picking out his stages, is a better preperation for the TDF... Can't see it happening unless his knee is in much better shape come morning.

If his knee is a problem, he should absolutely quite the race, sooner rather than later.

If his knee isn't a problem, there's no reason to not stick around until at least the stage 9 TT.

kiszol said:
SafeBet said:

It's not that simple. It certainly sounds good but all of these have to happen, not just one of them. Yates has to collepse, Roglic has to fade, his age has to become a factor for the first time in a GT for Nibali, Superman has to be ambushed succesfully and so on. Individually each of these is possible, almost likely to happen, but all of them?

On the other hand while yes you never say never and there is a chance you can argue that the possbile gains are bigger from abandoning and focusing fully on the Tour where he might just become the number 1 favourite with that than the losses with losing the real slim chance of winning this Giro (anything else won't add too much to his career).

This. Last year Froome didn't have to make up a few minutes on multiple rivals, plus there was no guarantee that he would be allowed to start the Tour.

Silver lining for fans: TDF could be really great with rested Dumoulin vs. Froome/Thomas/Bernal.

Re:

Leinster said:
If his knee is ok, I could see Dumoulin pulling back 4 minutes on anyone and everyone ahead of him somewhere along the way, except Roglic. He needs Roglic to have at least one very, very bad day to win.

Worth remembering that he had a significant unplanned loss of time in his only GT win to date. This is a bigger time loss, with less ongoing injury concerns, but still, it’s a not-insurmountable gap. To everyone except Roglic, of course. To even come back from this and finish 2nd or 3rd would still be a very impressive performance and a worthwhile race.

Yeah, right :rolleyes: He should've put 20-30 sec to everyone, bar Roglic, at San Luca prologue, but he didn't. That means that he is not at 100% yet, which means that after this crash he will hardly be at that 100% in San Marino either. Or he's simply out of shape. Anyway, I can't see him gaining those 4 min, not even in the TT's, and especially not in the mountains.

gregrowlerson said:
Last year Froome didn't have to make up a few minutes on multiple rivals
After Sappada (stage 15!):

Yates
Dumoulin 2'11"
Pozzovivo 2'28"
Pinot 2'37"

Froome 4'52"

Seriously, guys, you should go back and read Froome's topic from last year. The common opinion before Zoncolan was he had no chance to even podium. A lot of people claimed he should quit and heal.
I actually think if Tom's healthy he has a bigger chance to podium this Giro than Froome's had last year after two weeks of racing. A number of things have to happen, sure, but he's a champion.

It's a 3 week race and anything can happen, we're not even a third of the way through it yet.

However, it's also the first of the 3 GTs and if he's suffering it could make a lot of sense to either soft pedal and train or pull out and train for the Tour. I don't think it's obvious either way.

SafeBet said:
gregrowlerson said:

Yates
Dumoulin 2'11"
Pozzovivo 2'28"
Pinot 2'37"

Froome 4'52"

Seriously, guys, you should go back and read Froome's topic from last year. The common opinion before Zoncolan was he had no chance to even podium. A lot of people claimed he should quit and heal.
I actually think if Tom's healthy he has a bigger chance to podium this Giro than Froome's had last year after two weeks of racing. A number of things have to happen, sure, but he's a champion.

This. All of this.

The big question being “IF” he’s healthy, of course. No sense making any injuries worse.

SafeBet said:
gregrowlerson said:

Yates
Dumoulin 2'11"
Pozzovivo 2'28"
Pinot 2'37"

Froome 4'52"

Dam you and facts