• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 142 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bardamu said:
Well he often says he wants to be better in one-day races, so if I were him I would take this opportunity and go for Lombardia and the other fall classics. I think the Vuelta after the Tour will be a bit much and not necessary.
Vuelta and fall classics aren't really mutually exclusive, and also next year will have a really good Worlds route for Dumoulin, so it makes more sense to focus on those races then.

I like to think Dumoulin has unfinished business with the Vuelta, and the route of the Vuelta this year may just be the best Vuelta route he'll ever get for him.

Red Rick said:
Bardamu said:
Well he often says he wants to be better in one-day races, so if I were him I would take this opportunity and go for Lombardia and the other fall classics. I think the Vuelta after the Tour will be a bit much and not necessary.
Vuelta and fall classics aren't really mutually exclusive, and also next year will have a really good Worlds route for Dumoulin, so it makes more sense to focus on those races then.

I like to think Dumoulin has unfinished business with the Vuelta, and the route of the Vuelta this year may just be the best Vuelta route he'll ever get for him.

it seems a lot of GC riders from the Giro are not doing the Vuelta so that won't hurt his chances either. How many of those riders finish the Tour or even manage to perform is another thing. Pretty odd. The team leaders in the Tour would probably prefer to line up with fresh legs but sponsors and some riders have their say.

I expect nothing from his Dauphine as he didn't even do intense training since falling out of the Giro. But I am curious if he will test himself in any of the stages.

edit: just read his knee is still swelling up after each training. They didn't find anything on a new mri scan but still I wonder if it's smart to even race him in that state

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I expect nothing from his Dauphine as he didn't even do intense training since falling out of the Giro. But I am curious if he will test himself in any of the stages.

edit: just read his knee is still swelling up after each training. They didn't find anything on a new mri scan but still I wonder if it's smart to even race him in that state

i guess he will know fairly early in the race and if he has to pull out, then there will be no Tour for him either. Might be more sensible to be right for the Vuelta.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

i guess he will know fairly early in the race and if he has to pull out, then there will be no Tour for him either. Might be more sensible to be right for the Vuelta.

He looked pretty good on the breakaway tester today (stage 2) . . . didn't push to go with the rest when the break was caught.

Really wonder if there was a little interview with him after the finish today. Yesterday the knee was swollen at the finish, but they knew that would happen. Really they're anxious about whether it will get worse over the next few days.

Really don't expect him to light up the ITT.

VayaVayaVaya said:
So he lost 8:50 today. Got in some good hard training efforts while controlling his effort in the end, it appears. Glad he’s satisfied. Anyone think he can round into form to fight for victory in July?

I think maybe he can, if the knee is okay -- that is, to fight for a podium spot. I don't think an overall victory is possible (Froome too good and rested, and healthy).

VayaVayaVaya said:
So he lost 8:50 today. Got in some good hard training efforts while controlling his effort in the end, it appears. Glad he’s satisfied. Anyone think he can round into form to fight for victory in July?
Ofc he can if his knee is right and he is able to train properly. There's some hard stage in the beginning of the Tour, but only the MTF at La Planche will really create gaps (apart from the TTT obviously). Then you have to reach stage 13 at the 19th of July before the ITT and then Tourmalet and Prat d' Albis MTF at 20th and 21th of July. Its definitely possible.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dum...n-dauphine-tt-despite-metal-splinter-in-knee/
The metal shard inside the inflamed knee is still a distraction and one that is causing Dumoulin vital energy - whether through added treatment or the daily questions he is facing. Surgery to remove the foreign body is an issue but one that will only be decided upon once the Dauphine concludes on Sunday.
There's still a big bump and it's still irritating me. It has been for the last two weeks, and it will stay like that if I race every day. As long as it's not getting worse I should be fine. It's a bit of pain but I can get through it."

To me, "Heavy Metal Tom" needs to forget the TdF and get his knee sorted out before it gets worse. The sponsors will not like it, but think of his health first and with a bit of luck he be back at 100% before the end of the year.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Yeah I think the longer view is better with injuries.Vuelta looks like a reasonable target and a few other late season races if inclined.

Yes and yes. Dumo looked pretty good at today's TT in the Dauphine, but if he's losing 16 seconds to TJ (no offense to TJ) then he's off form. Selfishly, I am hoping he gets the splinter removed from the knee and resets his training to focus on the Vuelta and drops the TDF. . . . This would make the Vuelta even more interesting, this year.

TRENDING THREADS