• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 148 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In the case of Dumoulin moving to Jumbo, I think Roglic will leave. For Jumbo as a sponsor, Dumoulin is far more interesting than Roglic. Roglic' contract expires in 2020 I think, but maybe Bahrain (for example) can make a deal with Jumbo?

Re:

Sybrand said:
In the case of Dumoulin moving to Jumbo, I think Roglic will leave. For Jumbo as a sponsor, Dumoulin is far more interesting than Roglic. Roglic' contract expires in 2020 I think, but maybe Bahrain (for example) can make a deal with Jumbo?
Jumbo were trying to extend with Roglic before this Dumoulin crap all came down. It may all put Roglic into an unfortunate position cause I really do think he deserves to be the sole leader of a strong GC team.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
there is probably some truth to him being unhappy. But ultimately i think the management meeting is more about sunweb having to give dumoulin some assurances concerning next season.
They have to, because their only reliable winners at WT level are Dumo and Matthews and both sound less than happy with the team ATM. If it weren't for Cees Bol, they'd only be ahead of Di Data.

Spekenbrink responds on dutch newswebsite NOS:

"De verhalen in de krant hebben mij ook verrast", zegt teammanager Iwan Spekenbrink, die in 2017 het contract van Dumoulin tot eind 2021 verlengde.

"Wij werden er gisteravond over gebeld, vanochtend stond het in de krant. Op dit moment speelt dit helemaal niet. Sterker, volgende week zijn we uitgenodigd voor een gesprek door het management van Dumoulin. We moeten eerst maar eens afwachten."

free translated:

"The stories in the newspaper surprised me as well" says teammanager Iwan Spekenbrink, who extended in 2017 Doumoulin's contract untill 2021.

We were called yesterday evening, this morning it was in the newspaper. At the moment there are no issues. We're even having talks with Dumoulin's management next week. We first have to wait."

Well, to me that sounds exactly like a manager who knows that the story in the newspaper is true and now plays the 'oh well i'm very surprised card'.

source: https://nos.nl/artikel/2291789-sunweb-verrast-door-vertrekwens-dumoulin-volgende-week-gesprek.html

EDIT:

on dutch newssite nu.nl Spekenbrink confirms that there's a clause.

Mocht Dumoulin echt willen vertrekken, dan kan Spekenbrink hem in principe niet stoppen. "Als principe klopt dat. Er gaat nu zoveel in het rond. Het is Tom Dumoulin, een heel groot sportman die heel veel voor ons heeft betekend. Natuurlijk willen wij verder met Tom. Laten we rustig blijven en geen circus creëren."

If Dumoulin really wants to leave, Spekenbrink can't stop him. "in principle that is correct. There's so much going on right now. It's TD, a very big sportsman, who did a lot for us. Of course we want to continue with Tom. Let's stay calm en don't make a circus."

Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
there is probably some truth to him being unhappy. But ultimately i think the management meeting is more about sunweb having to give dumoulin some assurances concerning next season.
They have to, because their only reliable winners at WT level are Dumo and Matthews and both sound less than happy with the team ATM. If it weren't for Cees Bol, they'd only be ahead of Di Data.
Matthews has extended for two years two days ago saying he's really happy with the team.

https://teamsunweb.com/michael-extends/

“I’m really happy to be staying with Team Sunweb for another two years,” said Matthews. “I’ve already had an amazing two and a half years with the team, with lots of great memories. I think this is a good environment for me to develop and I can’t wait to make even more memories with our big family in Team Sunweb.”

attachment-001_food-image-1367893-560x373.png

"Hi Jumbo"

Re:

Red Rick said:
Apparently Dumoulin suffered tendon damage in the crash, and he can't ride his bike for the next weeks.

Vuelta is in doubt and he's not gonna make it in good shape.

Thanks Pucchio

That injury is going from bad to worse :(

WTF is going on with Sunweb Team's management? how on Earth they can allow that to slide? Not enough sources to do a thorough diagnosis on Tom's Knee? The worst thing that can ever happen to a rider is to have injury not property treated or partially healed. If this goes on - he'd be lucky to ride Lombardy :(

Latest update: Management Dumoulin is still in talks with Sunweb, no agreement yet, both parties have decided not to talk about anything to the press about this.
Jumbo are rumoured to up their budget to 20€ million to support getting Dumoulin.

More and more it actually looks serious instead of just a rumor.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Latest update: Management Dumoulin is still in talks with Sunweb, no agreement yet, both parties have decided not to talk about anything to the press about this.
Jumbo are rumoured to up their budget to 20€ million to support getting Dumoulin.

Roglic thread reports verbal agreement with J-L through 2023. That would be interesting, I think. Having 3 legitimate podium contenders (yes, I'm including Kruijswijk...) is ... Movistar level ... (Not that I'm comparing J-L to Movistar, just that it could get tricky in allocating leadership. But Dumoulin is a generational talent so if they can scrape together the cash they should do it.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:

I doubt it's a rumour. Dumoulin doesn't seem to be happy with Sunweb lately but Jumbo also had plenty of issues during the Giro. I'd hate to see him go to Ineos.