• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 170 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't know if it even was the best tactics anyway. Ok, in the end the result was the best possible. But if Alaphilipe just sprinted normal, Roglic would have been 4th most likely. Even after the work, Dumoulin was still very close at the top of the RaF. Maybe without working they could have been with 2 in the elite group (although Dumouling probaly is just not explosife enough for this). Or they could have made the race harder for exemple on laRedoute, or even earlier in the race, tiring Alaphilipe's legs, to prevent his famous attack in the last 500m of the final climb of the race. In this way Tom was just preparing Alaphilipe's jump. Roglic normally was without a chance in that sprint.

Reactions: SafeBet
Happy to see him getting better, but sad to see he's basically only working as a superdom, and not even in the smartest way possible (why not a well-prepared long-range attack, or setting high pace on on for example Redoute to try to make the race more open?). Of course Jumbo wins at the end of the day so it's all fine, but well, I am a bit concerned for the future.

I think this is doing Dumoulin a lot of good tbh. Being out of racing for so long, i think playing a role for your teammates and actually doing something in the races again will reignite the fire and passion for racing. I know myself that the small victories of taking pulls for teammates after returning from injury are these small stepping stones to getting the confidence and top level back.

Just let him enjoy actually racing again and he will find his way back to the top level. I am not sure it will be this season already in the Vuelta, but at least next season i do expect to see Tom ready to fight for the big wins.

Reactions: yaco and JosefK
I think his confidence and physical condition took a bigger hit than I thought. We saw WvA come back from a horrific injury like nothing happened, but then again we saw Froome struggle. TD is maybe in between those two.

I have some hip problems (shredded labrum from overuse) and I'm just not able, at least in my own mind, to do some activities 100 percent. I suspect it might be the same with Tom -- we're not exactly sure what his problem was with regard to the tendon, but he did have two surgeries, so clearly it was not minor.

Anyway, he's one of my favorite riders for his skills and determination, and I really hope it's not another Andy Schleck situation where a promising career is cut short by injury.

Kinda hoped for a similar 2018 Giro/TDF thing where he climbed better in the 2nd GT...

But no, not 1, not 2, not 3, no, 4 men within his own team climbed better.. Gonna be a long Vuelta this way, he'll just be a mountain train worker now unfortunately. When even Gesink, with all the respect, is better then there's no hope for this GC

Kinda hoped for a similar 2018 Giro/TDF thing where he climbed better in the 2nd GT...

But no, not 1, not 2, not 3, no, 4 men within his own team climbed better.. Gonna be a long Vuelta this way, he'll just be a mountain train worker now unfortunately. When even Gesink, with all the respect, is better then there's no hope for this GC
Gesink was surprisingly good, however. I mean, he finished 12th as a domestique. But I agree, Tom will be probably no "second option" in this race.

Gesink and Kuss were training at altitude in Andorra for the past couple of weeks, so you would expect them to start with a better shape to the rest of the team who were not at altitude. That might be one reason why Gesink came in with Tom and Kuss looked stronger than Roglič on the climb at least.

Ugh. I guess i'll have to start cheering for Mas then.

Has Tom said anything yet?
"I'm a little fed up. I don't feel 100%. I'm a little tired"

Don't think "ik baal" translates very nicely though, saying he's fed up is a bit strongly worded. Body language was pretty neutral. No Divalin at all.

They didn't go on altitude so there were question marks before this Vuelta. Obviously Dumoulin is gonna take time to get back to his best, and I guess maybe after all this down time 2 GTs close in a row is a bit much. But I don't get people saying he should go home. He was looking forward to this race and emphasizing he wants to give his all, be it for himself or for the team here.

It was destined to be a hard year for Dumo. Too much time off the bike from injury, then many months of no racing, then probably needed another month to really be ready for the TDF, raced it when out of form, and hasn't had the background training to recover quickly enough for the Vuelta. Does it sound like I'm making excuses? :grin: I actually think he'll be much stronger next year.

TRENDING THREADS