• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 171 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Idiotic move in hindsight joining Jumbo, basically gonna have to back to his fav GT Giro all the time now and the way Kuss is going would not be suprised he could win giro and dom at the TDF. He has to be stronger than Roglic to have a chance but moving teams gives him more options.

Cyclists can suddenly drop off and never get back to their old form. Happens all the time. Aru and Quintana are good examples.

This will be his second lost year and a new generation is coming. Can't see Dumo beating Pogacar. Of course he came back from injury, but I never saw him losing many minutes before. He was VERY hard to beat in 17 and 18. In 18 the only rhing standing between him and a Tour win was an overperforming Thomas aided by Froome and a superior team. Besides looking weak, he really seems to struggle mentally and his new JV team does not seem to work for him, he's quickly dropping down the pecking order from GT favorite to just a JV dom.

His time might have passed.
Hope I'm wrong, I'm a big fan.

Reactions: JosefK
Cyclists can suddenly drop off and never get back to their old form. Happens all the time. Aru and Quintana are good examples.

This will be his second lost year and a new generation is coming. Can't see Dumo beating Pogacar. Of course he came back from injury, but I never saw him losing many minutes before. He was VERY hard to beat in 17 and 18. Besides looking weak, he really seems to struggle mentally and his new JV team does not seem to work for him, he's quickly dropping down the pecking order from GT favorite to just a JV dom.

His time might have passed.
Hope I'm wrong, I'm a big fan.
The move to JV never looked right to me, and with Sunweb absolutely flying this year in the Tour and Giro, you have ot wonder what might have been? I mean, I'm sure he had his perfectly good reasons for leaving when he did.

Apart from that one Giro, it's just never really come together for him in a GT.

"I was just empty, I had no power. If I get better I can be valuable for the team but we'll see if I continue or not, that's not a question for directly after the race. I ate enough, that wasn't the issue. Maybe this is just too much racing after doing no races for 18 months. Now I'll just recover and we'll see again tomorrow"

Idiotic move in hindsight joining Jumbo, basically gonna have to back to his fav GT Giro all the time now and the way Kuss is going would not be suprised he could win giro and dom at the TDF. He has to be stronger than Roglic to have a chance but moving teams gives him more options.
Sunweb fckd up the situation with his knee big time, so staying there was not an option imho. If he had, chances are very slim that he would be in much better shape now. I think next year will be crucial. This year started with some bumps in the road, he had to postpone his season a few times, and then covid-19 happened. Let's wait a few months before writing him off.

I also can't take Kuss seriously as a GC contender for GT's yet. He's a great climber, either as a mountain domestique or stagehunter, he's among the best in the peloton. But so far he's done 4 GT's i think, and in each one, he had days were he was nowhere. Not even taking ITT's into account. I think Tom is still Jumbo's 2nd bet, as it is again clear that Bennett is not a GC leader.

Sunweb fckd up the situation with his knee big time, so staying there was not an option imho. If he had, chances are very slim that he would be in much better shape now. I think next year will be crucial. This year started with some bumps in the road, he had to postpone his season a few times, and then covid-19 happened. Let's wait a few months before writing him off.

I also can't take Kuss seriously as a GC contender for GT's yet. He's a great climber, either as a mountain domestique or stagehunter, he's among the best in the peloton. But so far he's done 4 GT's i think, and in each one, he had days were he was nowhere. Not even taking ITT's into account. I think Tom is still Jumbo's 2nd bet, as it is again clear that Bennett is not a GC leader.
I think Kuss should perhaps get a shot to ride a GC in the shadow of Roglic if they can make it work this Vuelta. Dumoulin should have the entire next spring to show where he's at.

ah the anti fan club with the people i expected arrived.

For crying out loud, he was 7th in the Tour. Write him off at your own peril

Well, I definitely see myself as part of the fan club. I'm Dutch too and Dumo made me fall in love with GT's again after not seeing any real Dutch GT contenders since Breukink around 1990. But being a fan can also mean despair. As I said, hope he proves me wrong.

I think that's been a conscious decision by JV; they have a strong enough cadre of mountain doms that they don't bank on having all of them ride on the front every day. Certainly I remember hints about that during the Tour, where it seemed like there were days where they expected Gesink or Bennett to be doing the work, and Kuss to kind of have a day off to stay fresh for later stages. The only ones who had to be on every day were Dumoulin and Roglic.

To the rest of your post, I agree. I think Dumoulin is clearly their best GC alternative after Roglic, but I think a lot of us had hoped for him to be closer to Roglic's level at the GTs this year.

"I was just empty, I had no power. If I get better I can be valuable for the team but we'll see if I continue or not, that's not a question for directly after the race. I ate enough, that wasn't the issue. Maybe this is just too much racing after doing no races for 18 months. Now I'll just recover and we'll see again tomorrow"

If this quote is real I don't like it. One of the aspects of the Vuelta is the flat stages (& flat areas in general) become a wind battle with Movistar & co putting the heat on the leader & peloton. Dumoulin, even diminished on the climbs, can still be of serious assistance to Jumbo.

This isn't the Tour de France where people sleep during transition stages, i.e. it's action-packed from start to finish. Dumoulin has a job to do & who knows, maybe his diesel engine will improve over time as the race goes on (he's a big guy, after all).

I think he has mental issues. In almost every interview I've heard this year, he comes across as someone who sees the glass half-empty, who seems to lack inherent motivation or winner's mentality at the moment. He seems nothing like the guy who had to take an emergency dump but then had the tenacity to keep chasing, chasing, chasing to win the Giro.

I think that day got the best out of him, because it was a case of "don't think about it, just ride."

A year later, on multiple occasions at the Giro, he was riding with (iirc, Carapaz and Lopez?) on his wheel, and he kept turning around and telling them to do a turn, which they were never going to do. If he had just put his head down and rode, he would have put a big chunk of time into Froome on the (Sappada?) stage, and might have saved the pink on the Finestre stage.

Lol Dumoulin is far from a small mans Wiggins. Infact Dumoulin has been the better GT rider by far. Yes Wiggins has the main win a TDF and has a better season like 2012 but Dumoulin did never get the benefit of a 2012 route.
2017 for Dumoulin was basically the equivalent of Wiggins' 2012. Both winning their only GT, because it happened to be loaded with time trials.

Main difference though is that Wiggins won loads more in his dominant year. Mentally the two are very similar as well - not the most resilient guys in the peloton.

I think that day got the best out of him, because it was a case of "don't think about it, just ride."

A year later, on multiple occasions at the Giro, he was riding with (iirc, Carapaz and Lopez?) on his wheel, and he kept turning around and telling them to do a turn, which they were never going to do. If he had just put his head down and rode, he would have put a big chunk of time into Froome on the (Sappada?) stage, and might have saved the pink on the Finestre stage.
It couldn't believe what i was seeing. Especially in the stage where Yates attacked, and in the stage where Froome did his solo. He was looking at other guys to bail him, the leader/favorite, out. Had he just "dug in" and "did the work" he could have saved the Giro. He wasn't helped by Sunweb's master strategy to have Oomen work when he shouldn't have, so that Oomen was cooked at the time when Tom actually needed him.

Well, Wiggins was helped a lot by Froome. While Dumo did it all on his own, while taking a crap for fun and putting up a hell of a fight. Much more impressive than Wiggo's win imho. Especially as Froome who was stronger had to hold back in order to help his leader.

17 18 Dumo was a monster. Only thing that could stop him in 2018 were a ludicrous Froome attack in the Giro and overperforming Thomas aided by a superior Sky team.

Agree that he seems to be struggling mentally. If he gets his act together, I can see him competing for another Giro or Vuelta. Tour is going to be hard with few TT km's and Pogacar who is better at climbing and tt'ing at the moment.

Reactions: JosefK
Dumoulin leaves Vuelta and focuses on next year
“Both our coaching staff and I think it is the best choice to get off the bike”, Dumoulin said. “At the start of the Vuelta I already felt tired and that feeling remained. It makes no sense for me to continue, because then I might put a strain on next season. It is not desirable to leave the Vuelta, but this is the right choice. We can all agree on that. With Primoz we are in good shape in the general classification. Hopefully the team can take home the win.”

View: https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status/1321225495250374657

• Sad
Reactions: Carols and Luthor
Lot of drama again with Dumo hater DFA on the front.

It's very easy, the guy is tired. Every day he continued here would just be a risk to next season. He'll rest, he'll be back next year.
Effin drama queens
I question why they send him to the Vuelta at all, he didn't seem to improve during the Tour and did the WC and the Ardennes classics afterwards.
Of course one could ask the same about Roglic, even if he has a really high base level. Jumbo could end up with all of their climbers besides Steven cooked at the end of the Vuelta and the off season will be shorter than usual (if we have a somewhat normal season next year...).
I would have send Bennett, Kuss and Gesink to the Vuelta, let them ride a bit for their own glory after working hard for Roglic in the Tour.

2017 for Dumoulin was basically the equivalent of Wiggins' 2012. Both winning their only GT, because it happened to be loaded with time trials.

Main difference though is that Wiggins won loads more in his dominant year. Mentally the two are very similar as well - not the most resilient guys in the peloton.
2012 tdf and 2017 giro are equivalent because Nibs was 3rd in both. Dumo is way better than the other one hit wonders but he needs to get his act together.

Lol Dumoulin is far from a small mans Wiggins. Infact Dumoulin has been the better GT rider by far. Yes Wiggins has the main win a TDF and has a better season like 2012 but Dumoulin did never get the benefit of a 2012 route.
DFA is a known dumoulin hater from day 1 he broke through in the Vuelta as a GT rider. Since then he's only been talking him down. (like before Giro win he kept saying Dumoulin would falter in the mountains). And especially when things really went bad (after 2018) he's the first to stick the knife in it. Best to just ignore really.

TRENDING THREADS