• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 186 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
We don't care about road conditions. How are the bus drivers in the area?
There are buses everywhere in Colombia as it is the main mean for transportation for a lot of people. But I have heard, haven't been there, that roads in Antioquia are very well maintained. So probably there is less chance of getting into accidents if they go to more isolated areas. Uran and the Henaos train around this area.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Tom doubters, is your theory that he won’t get back to his level or that his old level isnt competitive at the very top end of the current field?
Not a doubter since he was the only one to take on the Sky domination in 2 consecutive GTs. Yes he can achieve his old level but that is not sufficient for RogPog. Considering that his own team is prioritizing Roglic and they would have the data to back it up, i would say that is a reasonable conclusion. However he has also suffered burnout from the intense single track approach to training, diet and races, i would say he should restrict himself to a single GT, 6 month or less season and not focus on cycling for the rest of the year.

I don’t think he’ll reach his old level, understood as Tour 2018 where he consistently was climbing really well. Clearly, Jumbo know how to get their riders to push huge watts, so maybe he’ll be better than ever. I think it’s 50-50 if he’ll be a podium contender again, and about 20-80 that he’ll contend for a GT win.

Jan 3, 2022
Visit site
Hard to imagine him getting into Podium form in time for the Giro
Worrying but to see how it behaves in the next races. Maybe due to his immediate return from Colombia and the jet lag... But if in Catalonia he rides badly in the mountains, the podium will be really out of reach. Catalonia at the end of March will really be the indicator. I hope that he will be already better next week in Strade

Hard to imagine him getting into Podium form in time for the Giro

He did basically nothing in races or results-wise before the Giro in 2018 and he went on to finish 2nd in both the Giro and the Tour that year.

I wouldnt worry until he is dropped on the first mountain stage of week one in the Giro itself, and even then he might still be the one that is best over three weeks.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
Jan 3, 2022
Visit site
In 2018 in the Abu Dhabi tour (old UAE tour) he finished 38th at 6 min in the GC, 21st at the strade and abandoned tirreno. His only decent result was 15th in Liège. Which did not prevent him from being the most consistent GT rider in the Giro and finishing 2nd in the Tour. And ofcourse also 2nd in the TT World Champ and 4th on the road race .
During spring Tom rarely performs very well but I expect good form from him in Catalunya and the Amstel. What will reassure before his trainingstage and the Giro.

I think he needs some time to have consistent training and racing for a few months at least. Hes been between injured and overtrained non stop for the last 3 years.

In Suisse last year he was beaten by frigging Carapaz in the prologue. He was only doing well in road stages by the Benelux Tour

• Wow
It's obvious, there is a problem concerning Dumoulin. Altitude training is OK. But not when to long training on altitude. Or was he overtrained in Colombia ? Not the first time in his career. Or has he just not trained enough on quality. If it's the latter, then it can still be okay. With his base at height and with specific training and competition rhythm the next weeks, he can suddenly be top in a few weeks. Wait and see.

In 2018 in the Abu Dhabi tour (old UAE tour) he finished 38th at 6 min in the GC, 21st at the strade and abandoned tirreno. His only decent result was 15th in Liège. Which did not prevent him from being the most consistent GT rider in the Giro and finishing 2nd in the Tour. And ofcourse also 2nd in the TT World Champ and 4th on the road race .
During spring Tom rarely performs very well but I expect good form from him in Catalunya and the Amstel. What will reassure before his trainingstage and the Giro.
In the UAE he had a mechanical on jebel hafeet and that's why he lost in the GC 6 mins. He was in much better form than now

TRENDING THREADS