• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 187 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't expect too much, because the hills are just too short, easy and explosive for him, and the field is much better. But maybe he can get a good placing which should help the morale.
true. This race didn't tell me much because the field was weak.
If he can survive long into the real finale of AGR and then motor his way back a few times when the explosive guys do their stuff until finally getting dropped near the end that would already be huge

true. This race didn't tell me much because the field was weak.
If he can survive long into the real finale of AGR and then motor his way back a few times when the explosive guys do their stuff until finally getting dropped near the end that would already be huge
I don't question the basis of his motor much because his UAE TT was good. Also if he was in "drop 5 minutes on 5% climb form" he wouldn't do what he did here.

Really scratching my head what Jumbo's plan was. Surely they must have been aware of his form and training numbers, he's not some novice who can't judge his form.
At least if he would've cracked on Blockhaus I sort of see the reasoning behind trying for GC but dropping this early on Etna...
And if they agreed that he isn't a GC rider anymore what is he doing here? Grinding 3 weeks only for the ITT at the end? Supporting.....whom exactly? Turning into a stage hunter? Very weird approach overall.

Really scratching my head what Jumbo's plan was. Surely they must have been aware of his form and training numbers, he's not some novice who can't judge his form.
At least if he would've cracked on Blockhaus I sort of see the reasoning behind trying for GC but dropping this early on Etna...
And if they agreed that he isn't a GC rider anymore what is he doing here? Grinding 3 weeks only for the ITT at the end? Supporting.....whom exactly? Turning into a stage hunter? Very weird approach overall.
Maybe is one of those Dumoulin mental issues and he collapsed in his head as soon as he started to suffer. But that's just a speculation.

Well what is he going to do if he can't ride GC anymore apart from retiring ? Based on his "history" it doesn't look like he'll ever ride in support of another rider anyway.

Still, it's a bit perplexing to see such a downfall in "talent" though, can't remember too many cases like that...

Dumoulin said he did everything he could in preparation. But the reaction in the race just isn't the same. Legs go full of acid, not the same power output.

Guess he simply regressed a lot in those few months doing nothing. TT is a natural talent so it's not as bad there. But he took a deep dive in his general level.
It's done. There is no way back now. He should probably focus on TT's and stage wins in the future

Reactions: Sandisfan
Dumoulin said he did everything he could in preparation. But the reaction in the race just isn't the same. Legs go full of acid, not the same power output.

Guess he simply regressed a lot in those few months doing nothing. TT is a natural talent so it's not as bad there. But he took a deep dive in his general level.
It's done. There is no way back now. He should probably focus on TT's and stage wins in the future
Dumoulin and his trainers know what his level was in the training leading up to the Giro. He didn't race for like 15 months in 2019/2020 and was good enough to get a Tour top 10.

I'd normally say back to the drawing board and probably a different team that has a lot of yolo riders but I don't think Dumoulin wants all that

The moment they've said that Oomen is the third "leader", writing was on the wall. No serious GC team would use a mountain domestique who always finishes between 20th and 40th place as a leader for a GT and put him shoulder to shoulder with Dumo on form, not to mention Eenkhorn going for stupid KOM on stage 2/3, like WTF? I think they've known at that point that neither Dumo or Foss have the necessary legs. Which isn't surprising at all given their amount of racing during the Spring and the achieved results.
But Jumbo is a rigid team, rarely changing their plans based on the new circumstances... I've hoped for Kooij in the Giro but that wasn't the plan in the winter, so not happening... now they've got no sprinter nor GC rider, just a glorified pro-conti team full of TT guys in a race without proper TT (great selection), hopefully they're "satisfied". This isn't surprising for me at all.
It was sad to see confused and sad Dumo in the interview at the finish... I really don't know what is the future of his career, but I guess we know where the DvB money is coming from...

If he wasn't so "fragile" he could do what Jean-François Bernard did after his career as a leader bottomed out, work full time for a GT contender...
That's not fragility lol that's just knowing what you want.

And this isn't about you, Tom Dumoulin takes one sabbatical and every disappointing result after people talk about mental weakness it's been pretty disgusting to see.

lord-of-the-rings-lotr.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Lol this is never just mental.
Dumoulin after the stage:

"I have been working hard to prepare for this Giro, I really didn't expect this collapse. I don't know the reasons, I feel good, I really don't understand what happened."

Dumo's mentality was destroyed on that day. The Slovenian kiddo should get jailed for it.

EiSnA85WkAAmSff.jpeg

Last edited:
Kruijswijk should have been the Giro leader not Dumoulin, I think Jumbo will have another weak Giro for the third year in a row as Foss sems worse than last year.
Kruijswijk seems to be a different rider ever since he had Covid-19!

Funnily after all that talk of him being the new Indurain or Ulrich, Dumoulin simply ends up being the new Erik Breukink! Only with a better ending than in 88,89 or 90.

Jumbo doesn't give a *** about the Giro d'Italia. Rabobank never did either. It was actually Breukink who favors the Giro d'Italia! Hence why they suddenly sent Menchov & Co there.

TRENDING THREADS