• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tom 'Pidders' Pidcock

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Your lack of knowledge of photo-finish technology, linked to your stubbornness, seams to lead to stupidity.
Your lack of knowledge of photo-finish technology, linked to your stubbornness, seams to lead to stupidity.
Being led by blind faith in such technology, as well as those interpreting it, shuts the eyes to reason and leads to foolishness.

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
Thing is, before the XCC (short track) the riders with only few points would start from far back. I'd take them a lot of time/laps and effort to make it to the front (usually). Even when not beating Nino, MVDP was always really close and looked like the only one who can compete with him since the almost the beginning of his XCO WC racing campaign.
He's ranked 28th in the XCO rankings at the moment. I believe that means he gets a spot in the XCC. Even if he doesn't finish in the top sixteen, which is probably unlikely as we've seen that this is suited to someone with a CX base like VDP, he would still start 28th for this round. That wouldn't be too bad considering it is only the third row and the opening half of the start lap is quite open or has a lot of double track. However, if they race it as hard as last time in Albstadt, then it could be quite a challenge. That first climb is a real power climb so the gaps will be big if attacked.

I don't feel Pidcock will be crazily high up though. The race he won had only really one major top ten rider from the world cup in Carod so I wouldnt immediately hype him up saying he'll beat VDP, Schurter, Avancini, etc.

Also why are we still arguing over a race that took place more than two weeks ago. Van Alert has moved on, Pidcock has moved on and so has pretty much everyone else. Ineos and Pidcock aren't taking action against the Commisairing Team at some tribunal or court, so it's obviously not a big deal.

Reactions: BigCoward
Yep, for some reason the ranking points from winning the under-23 world cups and championship don't count towards the the starting positions, even though the official rankings have him in 28th place. So he starts around 92nd place, maybe higher due to recent points in switzerland. He is hoping to finish in the top 16 which will allow him to start in the XCC.

Reactions: lemon cheese cake
It has nothing to do with being critical. You just play the "I know better than the experts on the field, no need to try and convince me otherwise" card. We've seen enough of that during Covid-19.
Best to ignore. A calibrated piece of equipment and simple math shows van Aert still in the lead 1.5m after crossing the line. At this stage it's like convincing people the earth isn't flat.

Reactions: Sandisfan
FFS, you lot need to meet up in a field somewhere with your handbags and have it out to the death! Well, not death but until the handbag straps break. :rolleyes::D
Or get a room.
Honestly, this is the stupidest ongoing argument I've seen this year on the Internet, and that's up against some pretty stiff competition.
Neither of them are going to change each others mind. They need to let it go and stop boring everyone else. Apart from anything else it should be in the race thread.

I'm game. This is indeed the stupidest argument I've come across, but only because the Belgians take this too damn seriously. Expertise isn't required to analyze photo images (of which I actually have some compitency), nor are experts infallible (otherwise the would be gods) and it's got nothing to do with Covid and the conspiracy mongers. Apples to oranges along with a fair bit of condescending arrogance.

Post Scriptum: I do have a Belgian colleague, however, who thinks Pidcock won!:p

Last edited:
I'm game. This is indeed the stupidest argument I've come across, but only because the Belgians take this too damn seriously. Expertise isn't required to analyze photo images (of which I actually have some compitency), nor are experts infallible (otherwise the would be gods) and it's got nothing to do with Covid and the conspiracy mongers. Apples to oranges along with a fair bit of condescending arrogance.

Post Scriptum: I do have a Belgian colleague, however, who thinks Pidcock won!:p
You have "some" compitency of analyze photo images. Jezus ! Photo-finish technology has nothing to do with classic photo's. Again, contact the experts, and the UCI and make your complaints about it, and immediately apply for the post of photo-finish expert.

It would mean Pidcock would have been going more than 10% faster than van Aert, in order to make up 2.5cm (his deficit at the point the finish camera was placed) in 25cm (the distance to where the black line was). You don't even have to measure anything to see that Pidcock is not going that much faster, if at all.
Best to ignore. A calibrated piece of equipment and simple math shows van Aert still in the lead 1.5m after crossing the line. At this stage it's like convincing people the earth isn't flat.
Simple math applies to the bike and rider as a whole, not to the front wheel.
The whole point of a bike throw is that the position of the front wheel relative to the bike & rider centre of mass can be changed quickly.

The simple answer is that Wout timed his bike throw better than Tom did (or maybe it was just longer arms :)).

It's complicated, to put it mildly - and I don't think anybody has really messed up. There is a qualification period - and as usual GB aren't very good at XCO on the men's Elite side - and so don't have too many points accrued.
I think it was only last season when it became a possibility for Tom to qualify for the XCO race in Tokyo; however, he can't gain enough points on his own to qualify. So requires other countries help; but I can't remember how it works - though I've seen 'wild card' mentioned.

Reactions: Strawberry_Jams
So Pidders winning today's XCO World Cup in Nove Mesto, which was just his second elite WC ever (I reckon he would've won already last week in his first one if not his far starting posiotion). He put a minute over van der Poel. And the advantage was even bigger at one point, like 1'30, but eventually, asTom was safe at the front, he eased a little bit in the latter part of the race, while MVDP was fighting hard for 2nd position with Flueckiger till the finish.

On the lap he attacked, he gained 27s over MVDP on just 2 climbs.

He also put almost 2,5 mins on current World Champ Sarrou and over 3 mins over Schurter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Why is this happening right now though? All these super-allrounders.

But mighty impressive from Pidcock. MvdP is already said to be the better WvA, although road racing made clear that they have a rathter different skill set and now Pidcock is beating MvdP in MTB CX at his young age and fighting it with WvA on the road already. Like I said, impressive.

Why is this happening right now though? All these super-allrounders.

But mighty impressive from Pidcock. MvdP is already said to be the better WvA, although road racing made clear that they have a rathter different skill set and now Pidcock is beating MvdP in MTB CX at his young age and fighting it with WvA on the road already. Like I said, impressive.
It's possible one is better today on a certain course, and another is better tomorrow on a different course. We don't have to rank them, there are no absolutes.

Pidcock has certainly taken a huge step this year. Overall, so far, he's filled the gap in the spotlights that Hirschi has left.

TRENDING THREADS