• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tom 'Pidders' Pidcock

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
s
So it can be demonstrated (scientifically) that, despite all appearances, van Aert's airborne wheel was actually several centimeters ahead of Pidcock's at the time the latter's front tire traversed the black line? Proove it.

The discussion, still ongoing despite your peremptory declarations of closure, also involves the grotesque reality of the real black finish line being merely illusory, given that an invisible one set by the photo finish camera's position slightly before it now becomes the unseen adjudicator of the race. But this is merely a hideous deformity of the event, as these circumstances demonstrate.
You clearly still don't understand. If you known so much better, why not contact the UCI, Jempi Jooren, the head UCI-commissionar in the Amstel and Renee Gielen, the photo-finish operator. They all stated that the result was correct. But I suppose you will be appointed as photo-finish operator or UCI-commissionar soon....

Reactions: Sandisfan
s
You clearly still don't understand. If you known so much better, why not contact the UCI, Jempi Jooren, the head UCI-commissionar in the Amstel and Renee Gielen, the photo-finish operator. They all stated that the result was correct. But I suppose you will be appointed as photo-finish operator or UCI-commissionar soon....
Let's put it this way, I accept van Aert won, but not that he reached the black line first (the illusory finish line). I understand perfectly, it is you who don't get it.

Does anyone know if Pidcock is doing a GT this year?

Personally I see him as a potential GT winner, and probably the biggest threat to the expected Pogacar/Evenepoel GT dominance in years to come.
Normally he will do the Vuelta this year. (Obviously) there will be some other serious GC-contenders on his team. I think both Bernal and A. Yates are riding the Vuelta as well.

Let the words fall back down on me... but I think there's a lot of hype around Pidcock and I don't think it's well-grounded when it comes to GTs.
Why don't you think so? He's got the watts and the weight to perform well on climbs. He destroyed the baby Giro last year. He became junior world TT champion so he's got that as well. And he's in a team that knows how to form GC-riders.

Reactions: pastronef
Why don't you think so? He's got the watts and the weight to perform well on climbs. He destroyed the baby Giro last year. He became junior world TT champion so he's got that as well. And he's in a team that knows how to form GC-riders.

BTW, his weight has always been the same, right? He's never randomly gained or lost weight...

(And of course, randomly gaining or losing weight is significantly easier than gaining or losing height.)

Well, that is true, I guess if Ineos want to make him a GT winner, they will...
But so far he hasn't shown more than "promise" in stage races. He hasn't beaten any of the best there, but other very talented youngsters. The best of his age have already beaten much bigger names on climbs. Of course, he isn't a full road racer, yet, unlike others, so there is much room to improve once he does - but as much as this could play out it could be it doesn't. He destroyed the Baby Giro against Vandenabeele - nothing against him, that guy is awfully talented. But I think he's not a good indicator, yet.

Well, that is true, I guess if Ineos want to make him a GT winner, they will...
But so far he hasn't shown more than "promise" in stage races. He hasn't beaten any of the best there, but other very talented youngsters. The best of his age have already beaten much bigger names on climbs. Of course, he isn't a full road racer, yet, unlike others, so there is much room to improve once he does - but as much as this could play out it could be it doesn't. He destroyed the Baby Giro against Vandenabeele - nothing against him, that guy is awfully talented. But I think he's not a good indicator, yet.
He has practically never ridden against pro riders in stage races, How could he beat them?
He's arguably the best british GT prospect ever coming out of the u23 ranks.

• Wow
He has practically never ridden against pro riders in stage races, How could he beat them?
He's arguably the best british GT prospect ever coming out of the u23 ranks.

Of course, he couldn't and I don't want to say he won't. In fact I really don't want to open my mouth too wide here, it's just that so far it's a bet on the future which I would call far from safe.
Other youngsters, now 17,18 are coming up as well and 21 is the new 24.

Last edited:
Let the words fall back down on me... but I think there's a lot of hype around Pidcock and I don't think it's well-grounded when it comes to GTs.

Well, he is 21 years of age, 170 cm, 58 kg, and won the baby giro last year incl. winning 2 mountain finishes, so there is that.

Not saying he is winning a GT this year - but most definitely see him as a main contender for the future.

The big question for me is his TT, which we are yet to see.

Well, he is 21 years of age, 170 cm, 58 kg, and won the baby giro last year incl. winning 2 mountain finishes, so there is that.

Not saying he is winning a GT this year - but most definitely see him as a main contender for the future.

The big question for me is his TT, which we are yet to see.
He won the babygiro with 2m25s ahead of... Henri Vandenabeele. Now, Vandenabeele has some potential, and he'll be a great pro in a few years, but from his own country, of only his own birthyear, he was only 4th in line. On top of that, he's a year younger than Pidcock as well. Let's just agree the field was "not what it could have been".

I know it's a "big win" but it needs to be put in perspective. He climbs well, but compared to top tier climbers? We don't know. I actually have less questions about is ITT, since we already know that will not be a weakness, even more of a strength, compared to other climbers. Junior worldchampion ITT, and 4th in last years Euro championship U23, behind Leknessund, Bissegger and Van Wilder.

He won the babygiro with 2m25s ahead of... Henri Vandenabeele. Now, Vandenabeele has some potential, and he'll be a great pro in a few years, but from his own country, of only his own birthyear, he was only 4th in line. On top of that, he's a year younger than Pidcock as well. Let's just agree the field was "not what it could have been".

I know it's a "big win" but it needs to be put in perspective. He climbs well, but compared to top tier climbers? We don't know. I actually have less questions about is ITT, since we already know that will not be a weakness, even more of a strength, compared to other climbers. Junior worldchampion ITT, and 4th in last years Euro championship U23, behind Leknessund, Bissegger and Van Wilder.

Well, you can only beat those that enter the race.

The margin is irrelevant to me, as that will always be dependent on how the race unfolds - nobody is killing themselves to win by a larger margin, if it is not needed.

As the race results read:
Stage 1: Break takes it by 15 seconds
Stage 2: Bunch sprint
Stage 3: 2nd in a group of 5
Stage 4: Win
Stage 5: Bunch sprint
Stage 6: Bunch sprint
Stage 7: Win
Stage 8: Win

Well, you can only beat those that enter the race.

The margin is irrelevant to me, as that will always be dependent on how the race unfolds - nobody is killing themselves to win by a larger margin, if it is not needed.

As the race results read:
Stage 1: Break takes it by 15 seconds
Stage 2: Bunch sprint
Stage 3: 2nd in a group of 5
Stage 4: Win
Stage 5: Bunch sprint
Stage 6: Bunch sprint
Stage 7: Win
Stage 8: Win
I'm sorry, i thought we were trying to look for markers that could indicate whether he could become a good GC/GT rider. Because in that case, it would matter quite a lot what the competition was.

His road campaign is on hold until the late summer; he's now concentrating on trying to qualifying for the Olympic MTB race.
I'm wondering how he'll get on now as an Elite MTB racer; this weekend will be the first indicator. He's actually done very few races compared to everyone else. How good is he technically when the pressure is on? Being good on a CX course means nothing when it comes to a XC course.

TRENDING THREADS